Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
opens the way for fiat

Pact clears way for Fiat alliance; GM to offer bond exchange
Alisa Priddle and David Shepardson / The Detroit News

Chrysler LLC reached a deal on concessions with the United Auto Workers late Sunday night, clearing the way for a deal with Fiat SpA, while General Motors Corp. prepared to announce a major restructuring today -- in what is set to be one of the most significant weeks in the history of the U.S. auto industry.

The settlement agreement, subject to ratification by UAW members at Chrysler, includes a revision of the 2007 health care deal, and members must approve the deal by Wednesday.

"We recognize this has been a long ordeal for active and retired auto workers and a time of great uncertainty," said UAW President Ron Gettelfinger. "The patience, resolve and determination of UAW members in these difficult times is extraordinary and has made it possible for us to reach the agreement we will present to our membership."

Advertisement

The UAW said it also reached a deal with Fiat and the U.S. government. The agreements were achieved after marathon talks.

The White House and Treasury Department declined to comment.

Chrysler, facing a Thursday government deadline to win concessions essential to completing the Fiat deal to receive up to $6 billion in additional federal loans, hailed the deal.

whole article: http://www.detnews.com/article/20090427/AUTO01/904270369/Chrysler++UAW+reach+deal

Smoke

Addict
Feb 11, 2009
I think that Fiat is going to wait until Chrysler is basically fucked (pretty close now) so they don't have to pay much of anything to get their stake. Fiat just seems like they don't want to put any money into that drain of a company.

I dont blame them. Chysler needs a lot of $$ to turn it around. Making better cars costs research & development money, no car company has billions to just burn in this economy....

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I like all the LX cars, Jeeps, srt cars, Ram, and Viper

No, no, FAIL, Ram is OK, and the Viper is a hopped up UPS truck. Seriously, even the newest SRT cars are just OK. The new challenger is a huge-n-heavy boat-like car which is nothing special and difficult to mod @ best. Everything else does absolutely nothing for me.

Smoke

Addict
Feb 11, 2009
I think Fiat wants to get it's foot in the door in the US, make cars that are smaller, more fuel efficient, and then build from there.

It's just like how US companies go to China, but just buy out some chinese company to get started.

Agreed, but theyd probably be better off coming in themselves rather than using Chrysler. The public perception of Chryslers=Piece of Shit.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
No, no, FAIL, Ram is OK, and the Viper is a hopped up UPS truck. Seriously, even the newest SRT cars are just OK. The new challenger is a huge-n-heavy boat-like car which is nothing special and difficult to mod @ best. Everything else does absolutely nothing for me.

Someone will buy and keep producing jeeps, the SRT8 Jeep IMO is pretty much the most badass SUV on the market, everything else that is close is at least double the price. The SRT4 Neon was and still is one of the hottest FWD cars, and there isn't many FWD vehicles that can match it in speed. And I'm not sure how the Viper can compare to a UPS truck at all.....yeah the early version sounded like a UPS truck because of a lack of H-pipe, but 600 HP V10 with a tremac 6060 does not equal UPS truck. That is like saying the Ford GT is basically a Ford Pickup because the engines are loosely similar.

Smoke

Addict
Feb 11, 2009
Someone will buy and keep producing jeeps, the SRT8 Jeep IMO is pretty much the most badass SUV on the market, everything else that is close is at least double the price. The SRT4 Neon was and still is one of the hottest FWD cars, and there isn't many FWD vehicles that can match it in speed. And I'm not sure how the Viper can compare to a UPS truck at all.....yeah the early version sounded like a UPS truck because of a lack of H-pipe, but 600 HP V10 with a tremac 6060 does not equal UPS truck. That is like saying the Ford GT is basically a Ford Pickup because the engines are loosely similar.

I think the issue Chrysler has is those are the only cars remotely attractive that they make.All of 4 , and the Viper is discontinued. The Dodge Avenger's interior looks worse new than my Grand Am's after 195,000 miles of wear.

Their core product used to be pretty ( see LH cars ) , but had reliability issues. Now they just have reliability issues.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Yeah I'll agree that chrysler cannot build any sort of income out of those cars. They are such niche vehicles, and probably don't sell much of them. Chrysler needs to sell the V6 LX cars, the Calibers, the Stratus', the Ram, etc to make money. But when those cars are over-priced and have serious quality issues, then you start to have serious problems with your company. And then you have to pay your employees $30 /hr., it's just bad business.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info