đź“° Auto News Barrett-Jackson 2008: First production Corvette ZR1 goes for a cool million

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
[Source: Autoblog]

zr1bj12.jpg

The automotive world waited what seemed like forever to get its first look at the 2009 Corvette ZR1, but one lucky bidder won't have to wait any longer to get into the driver's seat. The "first retailable unit built" ZR1 was snapped up with a final bid of $1,000,000, not including auction fees. The winning bidder, Dave Ressler, also bought the oldest available 1953 Corvette just a couple years ago at Barrett-Jackson for the exact same price. While the ZR1 on stage was not the actual one purchase, Ressler will get a one-of-one Le Mans blue version that no one else will get. All of the proceeds from the sale benefited The United Way, and everything over the $99,999 list price of the ZR1 will be tax deductible. Not a bad way to spend a million bucks!

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

Barrett-Jackson 2008: Right to own first Dodge Challenger SRT8 worth $400,000

challengerbj10.jpg

We were hoping Dodge would give us our first look at the production version Dodge Challenger at Barrett-Jackson (we've seen plenty of it already with the reader-submitted photos!), but to no avail. The concept car was brought to represent what potential buyers would actually be bidding on - the first production Dodge Challenger SRT8. The car will come with all available options including the 6.1-liter Hemi V8, 5-speed automatic transmission, navigation, and sunroof. A plaque on the dash will identify it as car #1.

Not quite as high as the first GT500 KR or Corvette ZR1, the gavel dropped at a mere $400,000 (before auction fees) for the first Challenger. The winning bidder also gets two VIP passes to the Dodge Challenger 500 NASCAR race later this year. All proceeds from the sale will benefit notMYkid, an organization dedicated to understanding youth behavioral issues.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

Barrett-Jackson 2008: First 2008 Shelby GT500 KR sells for $605,000

gt500krbj16.jpg

What does it cost to be the King of the Road? Apparently $605,000 (after auction fees). That's how much Ron Pratte, who seems to be buying just about every Shelby at Barrett-Jackson, paid for the right to own the very first 2008 Shelby GT500 KR Glass Roof. That will only last for a while, though, since at least 999 more KR's will be built and are currently being assembled at the Shelby plant in Las Vegas. Numero uno features a black-on-black paint scheme that looks stunning in person, as well as a glass roof option that won't be available for the rest of production. As usual, Carroll Shelby was on hand to send the car off, reminding buyers why they are paying this much money for a Mustang. All the proceeds from the sale went to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, so it's all for a good cause.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Ron Pratte is one lucky dude to be able to afford all of those car he buys. My favorite of his collection is Shelby's personal A/C Cobra from 1966 (I think) with twin superchargers and an auto trans.

I'm glad to see the Vette go for a mil. I think the Challenger buzz is waning, they just need to put the fucking car on the road already.

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
Watched almost every hour.
BJ sucked balls this year. Literally and figuratively.
It's really sad when the only highlighted auctions of any importance of the biggest day (saturday) is the car eating "Robo-Saurus",
the "Miami Vice" movie speedboat, and the rights to pay 10 to 100 times the price of a ZR-1/Challenger/Mustang KR
just so you get VIN #1, lol.

The ZR-1 was bid up to 900,000 and nobody would bid against him anymore and they kept the auction going for way too long just
waiting....so the guy finally bid against himself for 1 million. Since that was the target they were going for?!

And the Challenger auction- basically nobody wanted it- but they wouldn't drop the hammer- so Barrett Jackson himself standing next
to the auction caller bid the final price just to save face because the price was so low. Barrett Jackson won the Challenger, LOL.

Same situation happened to the Mustang KR, you know things are bad when Barrett Jackson himself is in there bidding trying
to get the price up because nobody else will.

Last edited:

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
^
I'll agree...
The Dukes of Hazzard "General Lee" for example. Way too low.

I think bidders are getting bored with the monotony of the same old cars and the museum pieces that can't be driven or the investment is gone.

There wasn't anything really interesting/exotic though to bring out the big bucks- the replay the week before of last year's auction was more interesting- even the gravity racers from last year!

If next year sucks I think I'll call it quits on all the hoopla. At least Nascar starts in a month!

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
Watched almost every hour.
BJ sucked balls this year. Literally and figuratively.
It's really sad when the only highlighted auctions of any importance of the biggest day (saturday) is the car eating "Robo-Saurus",
the "Miami Vice" movie speedboat, and the rights to pay 10 to 100 times the price of a ZR-1/Challenger/Mustang KR
just so you get VIN #1, lol.

The ZR-1 was bid up to 900,000 and nobody would bid against him anymore and they kept the auction going for way too long just
waiting....so the guy finally bid against himself for 1 million. Since that was the target they were going for?!

And the Challenger auction- basically nobody wanted it- but they wouldn't drop the hammer- so Barrett Jackson himself standing next
to the auction caller bid the final price just to save face because the price was so low. Barrett Jackson won the Challenger, LOL.

Same situation happened to the Mustang KR, you know things are bad when Barrett Jackson himself is in there bidding trying
to get the price up because nobody else will.

That's kinda sad to hear. This year BJ shows that the auction market must not be at that insane high like it's been for the past half decade or so. And IIRC Barrett Jackson isn't the name of someone, isn't it two families?

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
The coolest things to buy were the Monster Garage vehicles. Honeybee, the Semi Trike, Armored Car Dunk Tank, just some awesome things that went for really cheap.

If buying the first of a cool car is for charity, then i'll bid it up if i really had the money. The thing about the KR that killed me was they had the kids with the betes just leaning on the front of the car!! I'll cure your disease, but for christ sake, got off my fucking car. Also, i believe that guys name is Craig Jackson. I'm not sure

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
youre in az paul why didn't you just go to it and watch?

probably for the same reason ive never gone to the grand canyon. just lazy i guess :dunno: i'll make it out there one of these years.

and yeah, its Craig Jackson who runs it now. and it was Russ jackson and tom barrett who formed the partnership years ago

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info