đź“° Auto News Ford's new deal with UAW gets wages down to $55/hour

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
AutoBlog said:
Two years ago when Ford was negotiating a new contract with the UAW, the automaker was paying its union workers the oft-bandied amount of $70 per hour. That amount wasn't the actual hourly wage of each employee, though, but rather the employee's hourly wage plus the cost of contributions to current and future benefits for retirees and workers still with the company. Now, due to a newly signed agreement with the United Auto Workers union, Ford projects that total cost per worker will go down to $55 per hour.

That puts The Blue Oval only about $5 away from the total hourly compensation paid by transplanted automakers like Toyota and Honda to their non-union workers. Among measures such as cutting overtime, bonuses, cost-of-living increases, and one paid holiday, Ford reworked its contribution to the VEBA account that will fund retiree healthcare so that it can pay into it with stock instead of cash, the total savings of which could add up to $500 million per year.

Intriguingly, it was remarked that "Ford's deal with the UAW appeared to meet the cost savings targets set out by the Treasury Department for its aid to GM and Chrysler," yet Ford is the one that didn't take government money and so, technically, is the one automaker not compelled to meet those targets. General Motors and Chrysler have also made new agreements with the UAW, but details have yet to be released.

Why is it that Ford has consistently been the leader in the ways of pushing the auto industry as of late, or is it that GM and Chrysler are just sitting back on their heels waiting for destruction?

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Yeah I went to school for 5 years (should have been 4 but stupid education department) and will be lucky to make $40K, then i can go back and get my masters and hopefully be making like $60K in 8 years. Then I can get another masters and be making close to $80K, and that INCLUDES benefits and pension. Man being a teacher is going to suck, i shouldve worked for Ford.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
ok well still, figure 100k+ for school and pharmacy school if not more, plus lost wages not working full time for 6 years

you wouldn't come out ahead in the end getting a 6 year dr degree til you retire pretty much

damn, baller life... and i could still work part time at jewel!

And pharmacists don't get a pentiun(sp).

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Nice congrats! Where you the manager at now then, what location?

I just started a small part time job at the MB dealership in st charles

Lemme know what kinda help they might need, like days and times, probably wouldn't be until over the summer, in like may I could begin when school ends. If it's during the day that might work, PM me :)

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
40$ an hour is still over 80K a year pretax. That a lot of money for working in a factory, it's a lot of money in general.

I imagine at one time, the labor that these people do was pretty skilled. Technology has changed that, but the wages havent changed due to unions being involved. I definitely agree that $40/hr is quite a bit for a factory worker though.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I imagine at one time, the labor that these people do was pretty skilled. Technology has changed that, but the wages havent changed due to unions being involved. I definitely agree that $40/hr is quite a bit for a factory worker though.

There is almost 0 education needed for these jobs save for a weekend of safety videos and "what do you do if the machine freezes?"(call maintenance and continue to watch machine do nothing) videos.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
I don't see the point in rewarding this, these automakers are the worst of the industry, and yet their employees are still being paid $5/hr MORE than the automakers that are succeeding.

They're doing a shittier job, this should be reflected in their pay. If the company comes around and becomes profitable again, then and ONLY then should the unions be worrying about being paid more than their non-union counterparts.

Ridiculous, how does this not make sense to these fucking unions? Have they no concept of the longevity of their industry? There's no point in getting that guarantee of the extra 5/hr if they end up helping their industry to tank altogether...

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
I don't see the point in rewarding this, these automakers are the worst of the industry, and yet their employees are still being paid $5/hr MORE than the automakers that are succeeding.

They're doing a shittier job, this should be reflected in their pay. If the company comes around and becomes profitable again, then and ONLY then should the unions be worrying about being paid more than their non-union counterparts.

Ridiculous, how does this not make sense to these fucking unions? Have they no concept of the longevity of their industry? There's no point in getting that guarantee of the extra 5/hr if they end up helping their industry to tank altogether...

Union leaders are short sited, and in today's world, with all the laws to protect workers, I think unions them selves are getting outdated and wasteful, When I was setting up the IKEA display at the auto show, we had to argue for 30 minutes with the Union manager, so I could put 2 screws in a chair, because I didn't need some idiot over or under tightening it....... Dumb fucks could have gotten real work done elsewhere, but had to fight about a 30 second job......

Eventually the unions will fade out of existence since they don't do much help these days

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info