đź“° Auto News Official: 2010 Taurus SHO

SHOmuff

Doing the damn thing.
Oct 22, 2007
Wheaton
http://jalopnik.com/5147709/2010-ford-taurus-sho-the-sleeper-awakens?skyline=true&s=i

...You saw it here first. Now it's official, the Ford Taurus SHO is back. The new Super High Output's equipped with a twin-turbocharged 365 HP Ecoboost V6 to turn this $37,995 sedan up to eleven...

medium_3269890851_83da4c406f_o.jpg

medium_3269904433_1ee8fc7a90_o.jpg

medium_3270694016_9a9c7a5e72_o.jpg

medium_3270726654_d25553a680_o.jpg

Sometimes people deserve to have their loyalty rewarded, the 2010 Taurus SHO is one of those rewards. It has been a hard few years for Ford fan-boys, testing their belief in the Taurus nameplate without a Super High Output brand. Two successively uninspiring models led to the retirement of the Taurus name, and a third wore the name after an uncomfortable resurrection. The newly-redesigned Taurus is a product wearing the badge in much the same way as the original, a jaw-dropping entry at a critical moment for the company.

The new SHO boasts the highest level of tune so far announced for the Ecoboost V6 — 365 HP and 350 lb-ft of torque, going above and beyond the previously rated 355 HP in the 2010 Ford Flex and 2010 Lincoln MKS. The more important part of those power figures is where it comes in at, with peak torque starting from 1500 RPM and topping out at 3500 RPM. Shoot, that's almost in diesel territory. Ford isn't being bashful about this new SHO either, boldly claiming the Taurus SHO will outperform the BMW 550i while returning 25 MPG on the highway and coming in at a reasonable $37,995 price. Those are certainly fightin' words.

And what of that product? To those in the know, the new SHO's lived in the realm of a wink and a knowing nod, as it's a sleeper through and through. There are dangerously few details to give away the potential of the car. Outside, the only indications of something out of the ordinary are the small SHO badges on the C-pillars, the SHO/Ecoboost badge mounted low on the trunklid, dual exhaust with chrome tips, a tasteful spoiler on the deck which hides the backup camera (if so optioned), and a unique satin finish on the grille. That's it. Oh wait, there is one more thing only lifetime members of the SHO club will recognize, a SHO-only color called Atlantis Green Metallic, a modern interpretation of a shade the 1991 SHO wore, Deep Emerald Green. Very cool.

The Taurus SHO continues it's subtlety inside and gets all the goodies of the normal Taurus, but packs on various shades of suede seating surfaces (the brown seen here being hideous compared to the black we saw), aluminum trimmed pedals, piano black and aluminum trim, a perforated leather wrapped steering wheel and leather door treatment (the interior looks much better in black than brown, trust us) and it's all rounded out with small SHO badges on the dash and floor mats.

On the equipment front, aside from the 3.5 liter twin-turbocharged Ecoboost V6, the Taurus SHO comes standard with all-wheel-drive, a paddle-shifted six speed automatic transmission specially tuned to rev-match and hold the gears of your choosing. The standard Taurus SHO also gets a retuned suspension, designed for carving corners over sucking up potholes and standard nineteen inch wheels with optional twenties.

But the SHO order sheet holds a secret. Check option box 12S and Ford takes the SHO to the next level with the SHO Performance Package. The performance package includes upgraded brake pads, a more aggressive calibration on the electric steering rack, more aggressive tune on the stability control system and faster 3.16 final drive ratio over the standard 2.77, and as a cherry on top, Goodyear Eagle F1 tires on painted twenty inch wheels. Yes, the SHO has a track-pack, that's not us being glib, those were unofficial words the Ford folks were throwing around.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
The SHO will no doubt have more interior features than the G8 GXP and also what looks like a better designed and executed interior, but it's still FWD based, and a Taurus. I don't know how the hell they're going to get this thing to handle well, but if they can pull it off I'll give them props. I seriously doubt the AWD system will be advanced as Acura's SH-AWD, which actually makes the car feel like a RWD car in heavy cornering.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I was at the show today and saw the SHO up close, got to poke around and such. It doesn't look much different than the regular Taurus but it's a really nice car on the inside, very upscale. The seats are comfortable but not really supportive and lack aggressive bolstering. Can't wait to drive it, that's for sure.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
I was at the show today and saw the SHO up close, got to poke around and such. It doesn't look much different than the regular Taurus but it's a really nice car on the inside, very upscale. The seats are comfortable but not really supportive and lack aggressive bolstering. Can't wait to drive it, that's for sure.

Did you go by the WJS booth by any chance?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info