đź“° Auto News BMW considering five possible variants of next 1-series, turbocharging galore

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
1series_3door_arrows_side_580op.jpg

A report by AutoBild states that BMW's designers are hard at work on the next iteration of the 1 series and that five different body styles are under review, with only one headed for production.

The variations include a three-door shooting brake, a five-door wagon, a "Progressive Activity Sedan" smaller than the X1, a lifted "Sports Activity Coupe" with a glass roof and, coinciding with an earlier report, a more traditional "sports tourer" that could be the spiritual successor to the 2002.

According to AutoBild, no matter which model makes the cut, BMW plans to downsize the displacement of its engines and begin the wide-scale implementation of turbocharging and direct injection across the 1 series range. The 116i model will make use of a 136 hp, 1.3-liter turbo, the 118i will use a 1.3-liter turbo tweaked to produce 177 hp, the 120i will get a 218 hp 2.0-liter turbo and the 3.0-liter turbocharged inline six will put out an estimated 326 hp. Both new diesel engines and mild hybrid variants are also planned, and BMW's dual-clutch gearbox will be available on more sport-oriented models, while a standard slushbox will be employed on the rest of the range.

The new 1 series is expected to hit Europe in 2011, with a the Super Sport model debuting in 2012 and a convertible variant arriving a year later.

400px-Logo-autoblog-com.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Mook
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list