Tesla Killer - Audi E-Tron

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
I about spit my soda on the screen when I saw the range - 204 miles.
What were they thinking.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/04/audi-e-tron-official-epa-electric-range/

Audi uses a 95 kWh battery pack with the E-Tron, but doesn't allow the pack to charge beyond 88% capacity – or 83.6 kWh of usable capacity. While Audi says it's prioritizing longevity over absolute range, 83.6 kWh is a large battery capacity, coming close to the size of its competitors. For comparison, Jaguar uses a 90 kWh battery pack and Tesla uses a 100 kWh battery pack. We don't have weight for the E-Tron yet, but as of now, it's the least efficient of the trio. Broken down by miles/kWh, the Model X will go 2.95 miles/kWh; I-Pace will go 2.60 miles/kWh and the E-Tron 2.44 miles/kWh. That doesn't necessarily reflect the vehicle's battery technology, but the car's efficiency as a whole. We'll be able to take even more factors into account when Audi decides to release all the specs.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Rofl rofl Rofl Rofl Tesla killer? Audi should scrap this project now. Tesla had this range in 2013 with the model S 60kw pack.

Rofl. Another one bites the dust.

To compete this car would have had to had 330+ miles of real world range. Because that 204 miles turns into 130 miles really quick in the winter

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Have fun finding a place to charge that shit pile. When will manufacturers figure out an EV doesn’t need to be a normal car with the engine ripped out and replaced with an electric motor, but a purpose built from the ground up different car? Also will they be doing over the air updates, adding features for free? Didn’t think so. So let’s see.... slower, less range, nowhere to charge it (honestly the “charge point” network is a joke), stuck with the same features forever, unknown reliability, no sex appeal, and same price.... sounds like a real “Tesla killer”

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
My question will be the insurance, will it be less because of a manufacture that's been around longer.

Since Tesla kind of pioneered the high end electric car, insurance should be less of a guess than before.

It was all over the place when I was looking into getting a Tesla in 2016 even. Price one company and you think you just bought a lambo, price another and it was a Chevy Malibu price.

Shit was all over the damn place. It’s much more consistent now.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Rofl rofl Rofl Rofl Tesla killer? Audi should scrap this project now. Tesla had this range in 2013 with the model S 60kw pack.

Rofl. Another one bites the dust.

To compete this car would have had to had 330+ miles of real world range. Because that 204 miles turns into 130 miles really quick in the winter

Do people buy vehicles on range specifically or design? Audi trumps Tesla in design and is a legitimate luxury vehicle. Tesla's achilles heel is design both external and internal (all Teslas punch way below their weight inside).

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
The Model X 75D is about $7K more expensive and only gets 35 more miles out of a full charge. Not a home run for Audi, but not a miss either.

yah i am confused in this thread. on one hand i'm supposed to not worry at all about range anxiety, on the other i am supposed to make a huge deal about range when compared vs. tesla (and ignore that it wasn't free)

both will cover most people's regular driving
both are a pain to charge for longer trips in terms of time required

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Do people buy vehicles on range specifically or design? Audi trumps Tesla in design and is a legitimate luxury vehicle. Tesla's achilles heel is design both external and internal (all Teslas punch way below their weight inside).

That was everyone’s biggest argument with Tesla. Literally still some people argument on the forum.

So Tesla created larger batteries, faster charging, and a massive quick charging network.

Audi has none of this to start, and a range that was relative in 2013

They are not off to a great start

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
204 miles is good enough for me. I would choose this over the Tesla

204 miles for 75 grand starting is good enough in this market? Keeping in mind it’s way less than the competition. I’m not just talking Tesla, others are shooting for longer ranges as well. Hell the damn Chevy Bolt gets better range than this. (Yes I know it’s hideous).

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Wait so this thing can only do 0-60 in 5.5 seconds? And it only charges 50 miles in 10 minutes? But costs $75k base..... or you could get a model 3 performance with full self driving, 3.2 0-60, can charge 180 miles in 15 minutes, has a range of 106 more miles (310 total) and costs $67k fully loaded..... yea easy choice

95SC

4 cams
TCG Sponsor
Sep 10, 2006
TN
Wait so this thing can only do 0-60 in 5.5 seconds? And it only charges 50 miles in 10 minutes? But costs $75k base..... or you could get a model 3 performance with full self driving, 3.2 0-60, can charge 180 miles in 15 minutes, has a range of 106 more miles (310 total) and costs $67k fully loaded..... yea easy choice

if range is the only think you care about that model 3 wins . Pick your poison , bland looking sedan with ugly interior and higher range or a good looking SUV with very nice interior and lower range

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
204 miles for 75 grand starting is good enough in this market? Keeping in mind it’s way less than the competition. I’m not just talking Tesla, others are shooting for longer ranges as well. Hell the damn Chevy Bolt gets better range than this. (Yes I know it’s hideous).

I was unimpressed, so I did a bit more reading and saw that the range rating is at 88% charge.

"Audi uses a 95 kWh battery pack with the E-Tron, but doesn't allow the pack to charge beyond 88% capacity – or 83.6 kWh of usable capacity. While Audi says it's prioritizing longevity over absolute range, 83.6 kWh is a large battery capacity, coming close to the size of its competitors. "

Some of the other factors is the Tesla is more slippery (Coefficient of Drag) and significantly lighter.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I was unimpressed, so I did a bit more reading and saw that the range rating is at 88% charge.

"Audi uses a 95 kWh battery pack with the E-Tron, but doesn't allow the pack to charge beyond 88% capacity – or 83.6 kWh of usable capacity. While Audi says it's prioritizing longevity over absolute range, 83.6 kWh is a large battery capacity, coming close to the size of its competitors. "

Some of the other factors is the Tesla is more slippery (Coefficient of Drag) and significantly lighter.

Idk that is stupid in my opinion. Why not model exactly what Tesla does? Give you the owner the choice on what level to charge to? Just like Tesla says 80% for daily use, and I can charge to 100 percent for a trip if I need longer range.

Idk I doubt they are going to have much production issues with this car, I do not foresee this flying off the shelf.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info