Next-gen Subaru BRZ and Toyota 86 canceled?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
There may not be a next-generation Subaru BRZ or Toyota 86, according to reports coming out of Japan. The automotive tabloid Best Car is prepared to report in their upcoming February 26 issue that the Toyobaru twins will be canceled. Apparently, Subaru and Toyota have deviated on their development policies, and have decided to take separate roads. However, we think this might make way for the return of the MR2.

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/news-next-gen-subaru-brz-and-toyota-86-canceled/

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I don't think a mid engine car is going to be near as affordable for kids to ruin.

eh with used market i don't think it would be long. why kill off the 86 if it is going to be a price point higher too? may as well offer both if they are still making money. i have no idea what sales are like now but probably don't want to leave the market to just the ND miata.

I fully believe if they kill off the BRZ it will be the final nail in the coffin for the "stanced" crowd. This is their halo car!

i dunno about that, if there is a big chicago meet with a lot of 86s there aren't necessarily a lot of stanced out ones. besides nothing will kill off people stupidly modding their cars. ricers gonna rice

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
eh with used market i don't think it would be long. why kill off the 86 if it is going to be a price point higher too? may as well offer both if they are still making money. i have no idea what sales are like now but probably don't want to leave the market to just the ND miata.

If the sales could justify selling three different 2 seater roadsters then good for them, but no one else in the industry is doing that. Mazda only has the miata as there 2 seater. Most manufactures don't even have 2 seaters and those that do are flagship cars and only 1 model in their lineup. As useless as some backseats are in coupes there is a functional need for having the extra seats in a pinch.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
If the sales could justify selling three different 2 seater roadsters then good for them, but no one else in the industry is doing that. Mazda only has the miata as there 2 seater. Most manufactures don't even have 2 seaters and those that do are flagship cars and only 1 model in their lineup. As useless as some backseats are in coupes there is a functional need for having the extra seats in a pinch.

i have 4 seats

if i break your legs you'll fit just fine

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
A

Anonymous

Saw this thread linked on FB. This is a shame! This is THE BEST drivers car platform available right now! Any small dick loser can buy a Corvette and go fast, but this platform is for true driving enthusiasts that are fast drivers!

I don't understand the animosity towards these. These are the best all around cars you can buy for the price!

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Saw this thread linked on FB. This is a shame! This is THE BEST drivers car platform available right now! Any small dick loser can buy a Corvette and go fast, but this platform is for true driving enthusiasts that are fast drivers!

I don't understand the animosity towards these. These are the best all around cars you can buy for the price!

:bowrofl:

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL

LMAO. Hi Ryan:wavey:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
This would be sad, but not surprising. They'd for sure leave a hole in the market of affordable, fun rear-wheel drive cars. I always preferred the twins to the Miata. We owned a BRZ at work for a year and it was more usable, had a backseat that was fine in a pinch, and had a surprising amount of cargo space with the backseat folded. I enjoyed the seating position more, too. It did great in the winter with Blizzaks and still has one of the easiest manual transmission shifter/clutch combos for quick-shifting and heel-toe. Not sure if more power would have helped sales, but definitely wouldn't have hurt it - well, I guess if it was considerably more expensive it could have.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Toyota can kill the 86 because they now have the Supra, and they will have a 4 cylinder turbo offering for the base Supra.

The BRZ doesn't really fit for Subaru with their typical AWD lineup. I'd rather have Subaru bring back a hatchback WRX or make a Crosstrek WRX/STI instead of putting money into the next BRZ.
https://jalopnik.com/a-subaru-crosstrek-wrx-would-make-a-ton-of-sense-and-pr-1796995047

what's it matter if it's not awd though? and those other cars are a totally separate market. like what is even competing with a miata for light/fun/affordable after you remove 86? and want things like a roof or (slightly) more seating space.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
what's it matter if it's not awd though? and those other cars are a totally separate market. like what is even competing with a miata for light/fun/affordable after you remove 86? and want things like a roof or (slightly) more seating space.

I just don't feel like the BRZ fits with Subaru's whole image with it being RWD, and the rest of Subaru being AWD. It doesn't matter to those that want and love the BRZ, of course. But from a corporate viewpoint, I could see Subaru wondering why they want to keep it if Toyota is going separately and the sales volume isn't enough to justify developing a new generation. I just think it would make more sense for Subaru to push the BRZ money towards other products that better mesh with Subaru's product line (like a Crosstrek WRX).

I didn't realize the new Supra was only a 2 seater. I figured it was a 2+2. Makes sense, though, as it's based on the Z4. That kills it for those that would still use the back seat in a pinch for kids or the random passenger. I figured the base 4 cylinder might be a pricier option for the BRZ/86 group looking for their next car.

You are right, though, in that there are limited options for sub $30k 4 seat rear wheel drive cars that aren't heavier Mustangs or Camaros. Bmw 2 series starts at $35k and could be an option.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I just don't feel like the BRZ fits with Subaru's whole image with it being RWD, and the rest of Subaru being AWD. It doesn't matter to those that want and love the BRZ, of course. But from a corporate viewpoint, I could see Subaru wondering why they want to keep it if Toyota is going separately and the sales volume isn't enough to justify developing a new generation. I just think it would make more sense for Subaru to push the BRZ money towards other products that better mesh with Subaru's product line (like a Crosstrek WRX).

I didn't realize the new Supra was only a 2 seater. I figured it was a 2+2. Makes sense, though, as it's based on the Z4. That kills it for those that would still use the back seat in a pinch for kids or the random passenger. I figured the base 4 cylinder might be a pricier option for the BRZ/86 group looking for their next car.

You are right, though, in that there are limited options for sub $30k 4 seat rear wheel drive cars that aren't heavier Mustangs or Camaros. Bmw 2 series starts at $35k and could be an option.

i don't know if i'd call that an 'image' thing, but the corporate viewpoint is just to make profits right? i would expect them to keep it around as long as it is profitable, even if in low volume. i think they'll find the money to invest there in that other space if they think it is going to return some coin too. a miata and 86 are like 26k, what is a 4 banger supra going to be? it doesn't look like it will be available here for a while, and cost quite a bit more. i'm a yuge bmw fan, but 35k for a standard 2 just to start... i'm sure that gets pricey in a hurry, and is going to be a pretty different driving experience.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Even if an 86/BRZ is profitable in low volume, they may decide that the same monetary investment in another product line could be more profitable. Just like Ford pulling the plug on their 4 door cars and putting everything into CUVs and SUVs. If Toyota pulls out of the project, maybe Subaru carries the BRZ flag alone, but I think it's unlikely.

Maybe this gives Kia/Hyundai the opportunity to step up and fill the potential void in that sub $30k 2+2 RWD segment with something more dynamic than the now defunct Genesis coupe. Their performance segment has been looking better lately...

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Even if an 86/BRZ is profitable in low volume, they may decide that the same monetary investment in another product line could be more profitable. Just like Ford pulling the plug on their 4 door cars and putting everything into CUVs and SUVs. If Toyota pulls out of the project, maybe Subaru carries the BRZ flag alone, but I think it's unlikely.

mayhaps, maybe better for the value of mine if they are no longer sold, which wouldn't be terrible, since i've dumped a bunch of money in mods on mine and it's not going anywhere.

Maybe this gives Kia/Hyundai the opportunity to step up and fill the potential void in that sub $30k 2+2 RWD segment with something more dynamic than the now defunct Genesis coupe. Their performance segment has been looking better lately...

the veloster n seems to review well although i don't see it sitting between a miata and brz myself.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info