Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Willow Springs

Tesla model 3 = 1:21.49

Ferrari 458 = 1:22.30

Crazy balls.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tes...erformance-track-mode-release-version-review/

What no one is quite saying out loud, though, is that a 1:21.49 snips a lifetime-like 1.29 seconds from Randy's recent lap in the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. The new time essentially matches a 2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 and even beats a former Best Driver's Car winner, the 2011 Ferrari 458 Italia (1:22.30). Until the new BMW M3 shows up, that perches the Model 3 atop the podium as the world's quickest sport sedan—at least around this track.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Tesla has also just confirmed “Track Mode” will be rolled out to the performance model 3.

Highlights include increased regen braking, track focused powertrain cooling, drift mode, better torque bias between the motors.

So basically the car in this mode will actually get faster than the posted lap above. All with a simple over the air software update coming soon

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i read/skimmed it as them maturing track mode with pobst so you getting pretty much the same, not that anyone drives like pobst or will visit a track with it anyway. it seems like the time drop probably had more to do with tires and pads and the mode helped a little but mostly took the car from being a little scary/unpredictable to something more comfortable to drive hard.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I'd take a serious look at this car if they fixed the front end and interior.

Pretty cool that the changes for the most part were done without traditional swapping out parts.

That interior isn’t going anywhere. Word on the street is for the model S refresh they want to
Move more in the direction of the 3 simplicity.

I disagree heavily and I am glad I bought my S when I did.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Tesla has also just confirmed “Track Mode” will be rolled out to the performance model 3.

Highlights include increased regen braking, track focused powertrain cooling, drift mode, better torque bias between the motors.

So basically the car in this mode will actually get faster than the posted lap above. All with a simple over the air software update coming soon

The article states what they did with randy's driver inputs. It is great that they are putting effort into making the car handle better. I am sure with the upcoming model, handling is a big part of it and they can apply what they learned here to the new car as well.

Although pretty cool, most manufacturers test and dial in the car before they launch the car. It is cool that they can do an over the air update and everyone benefits. But you can't change hardware if it really could benefit the car once it is produced. So instead of changing some suspension components to help the suspension work better all they can do is help improve the situation with how the motors and regen work. Testing and development should be done on the front side, not after the fact. Luckily later cars can have hard parts changed and upgraded.

I am just happy that Tesla is taking interest in making a car handle well. It makes for a much more rounded car.

For reference my model S loses about 1-2 percent of battery every quarter mile pass.

But on a road course, I can imagine it getting worse with heat. Will be interesting to see how they deal with that. I know the article makes mentions a change to help keep the batteries cool. But can they do more in the future. The regenerative braking has to help with on track time as well as braking performance. But ya, I am interested to see what battery performance is like on track like this.

I also watched a video where they have a Model S for a racing series. Where it is stripped down, has carbon composite body panels, and so on. They removed like 1,000 pounds. Let me see if I can find that. Here is it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nkqMZBR-ak

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
That interior isn’t going anywhere. Word on the street is for the model S refresh they want to
Move more in the direction of the 3 simplicity.

I disagree heavily and I am glad I bought my S when I did.

I'm not turned off by the simplicity, it's the overall design and execution that's down market in my opinion.

I have not sat in the 3, but have driven in a buddies S a few times and the interior is nowhere near the equivalent German luxury sedan at that price point. I had high hopes that when they hired Volvo's former interior designer that there would be a change as Volvo currently makes cars with great designed and furnished interiors.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
You always seem to be caught up with what cars actually visit the track and not how capable they are? Not trying to insult, just wondering why its such a big deal? The car is capable no matter how many actually show up to the days you're at the track...

i'm not knocking the car, i'm knocking the people that will make a big deal out of this (or a mercedes, or a gtr, or a corvette, or whatever) that will never do anything remotely like it.

i actually noted in another thread that i saw a model 3 at my last track day, which i also noted was more than any v6 or ecoboost mustang that i've ever seen.

For reference my model S loses about 1-2 percent of battery every quarter mile pass.

i don't think these are particularly comparable workloads

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info