Porsche offers 77 one-off cars to pay tribute the the 935 race car.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
If you’re Porsche and you want to celebrate 70 years of making sports cars, what do you do for your birthday bash? You debut a new model at the Rennsport Reunion at Weathertech Raceway Laguna Seca, that’s what you do. According to Road & Track, Porsche has just revived the iconic 935 name for a limited edition track toy with proportions and shapes reminiscent of the famous “Moby Dick” Le Mans endurance racers.

While 935’s existed before 1978, it was the racer from that year which became officially dubbed “Moby Dick” due to its wild body proportions. Martini Racing livery was part of that iconic season, and this 935 resurrection bears those colors, and more importantly, sprouts the long tail and low nose of the endurance racer of years gone past. Overall length has grown by over 12 inches, width has increased through the box-flares and even the turbo style finned wheels are included in this limited edition car.

Being based on a GT2 RS, 700 horsepower is promised. Racing equipment is promised too, but that’s where things get the most interesting. It was built much in the same way the 919 Hybrid Evo was – without limits to class rules or restrictions. That being the case, it’s very definitely not road legal, but you’re still offered some comfort items, like air conditioning because this car doesn’t have to worry about an abusive life in a sanctioned racing series. Those comfortable racers have to act quick though, as production is limited to just 77 units.

Head of Porsche Motorsport, Dr. Frank Walliser marked the moment, saying “this spectacular car is a birthday present from Porsche Motorsport to fans all over the world.” However, you won’t be given one for your birthday, you’ll have to buy one (if you can). Pricing is estimated at about $817,000 dollars, but like any limited edition car from Porsche, this one will be absolutely sure to appreciate in value.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=60&v=Otxf-WSj5CA

Porsche-935-Moby-Dick-Rennsport-Reunion-1.jpg

Porsche-935-Moby-Dick-Rennsport-Reunion-4.jpg

Porsche-935-Moby-Dick-Rennsport-Reunion-9.jpg

Porsche-935-Moby-Dick-Rennsport-Reunion-7.jpg

Porsche-935-Moby-Dick-Rennsport-Reunion-5.jpg

Porsche-935-Moby-Dick-Rennsport-Reunion-3.jpg

Porsche-935-Moby-Dick-Rennsport-Reunion-8.jpg

A bunch of info and pictures about the original car.
911 To The Extreme: The 935/78 Moby Dick - Speedhunters

Porsche_Moby_Dick_935-78-001-1200x750.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I've gotta say, I'm not into Porsches typically but my god. Just, my god. That is a great nod to the styling of years past.

Porsche is not against making small productions of special cars. This one is pretty over the top compared to just making a light weight "RS" version of the same car. I think they nailed the styling with this car. It definitely pays tribute to the original cars but shows a modern styling as well. All based on the baddest 911 Turbo ever made. I am sure it is incredible on track.

Now, will we see it on the Nürburgring for an attempt to take the record back?

Do the wheels act like louvers to draw in air to the discs? Holy balls that’s hot

I did a little looking online the other day and could not find anything about the wheel designs. I could see that the brake ducts bring air into the rotor center, comes out of the outer diameter of the rotor and the wheels help direct the air from out of the wheel. But didn't confirm that anywhere.

I read somewhere else that the original car made 750hp on 1.5 bar with the 3.2L engine. Then at 1.7 bar it made 850+hp. In a 2260# racecar. Oh my!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info