Genesis Getting Awards But Not Sales

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Genesis is making inroads into winning awards but its sales are actually down a few cars when you compare 2017/2018. Year to date sales are only in the 8,000 car range.

Genesis ranked highest in J.D. Power's overall initial quality study with a score of 68 problems experienced per 100 vehicles during the first 90 days of ownership. The luxury brand's parent Hyundai Motor Group fared well, with Kia coming in second and Hyundai third. It was the first time that three Korean brands topped the J.D. Power study and the fourth straight year that Kia was the highest-ranked mass-market brand.

(We should also point out that Autoblog has raised concerns with the way J.D. Power weighs reliability issues; this year's rankings, for example, put well-respected brands Subaru and Volvo in the bottom four of all car brands.)

Earlier this, Genesis year also topped Consumer Reports' list of top 10 brand rankings based on road testing, reliability, safety and owner satisfaction scores.

Elsewhere, both the 2018 Genesis G80 sedan and its flagship G90 four-door won a coveted Top Safety Pick+ award from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration also gives the G80 five-star reviews across the board in its own crash-test ratings, though it hasn't yet issued ratings for the G90.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/20/genesis-jd-power-ranking/

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Hmmm sounds like what the Kia Stinger is going to go through.

Great reviews and other than the 5 sitting on the dealer lot guess how many Ive seen with actual plates on it?..............

Yup ZERO. Brand stigma is real. BMW or Benz could make a hot mess and itll still sell.

Another problem is dealers acting like it’s not just a normal car and charging a “market adjustment” or at least not budging on price. If they would just sell it like it’s an optima they’d be everywhere

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Hmmm sounds like what the Kia Stinger is going to go through.

Great reviews and other than the 5 sitting on the dealer lot guess how many Ive seen with actual plates on it?..............

Yup ZERO. Brand stigma is real. BMW or Benz could make a hot mess and itll still sell.

One (a white Stinger) backed out of a driveway right in front of me, in our subdivision, on Sunday.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Another problem is dealers acting like it’s not just a normal car and charging a “market adjustment” or at least not budging on price. If they would just sell it like it’s an optima they’d be everywhere

Problem is the fucking 50k MSRP price tag! I looked at a loaded AWD one here on the dealer lot and literally LOL'd threw up a little in my mouth and got back in my car and left. I didnt even both to look one second past the MSRP on the window sticker.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Meanwhile, there are people out there buying the 5 Series Gran Turismo and Mercedes CLA for the same money. For shame.

I can’t tell the tone from this, but the G80 under cuts the 5 series by 20 grand when you build similar options on a 5 to match. The G90 under cuts the 7 series by 30 grand.

Side note I do not really understand all the hate on here unless you’ve sat or driven a new Genesis. Do not compare a stringer or everyday Kia to Genesis...it’s apples to oranges. People had the same shit fit though when Lexus first did this as well when they entered the premium luxury segment.

Americans don't want Korean cars unless they're cheap. That simple!

It’s not as simple as that actually. And I would argue Genesis has done an absolutely terrible job of marketing their new brand and creating consumer awareness. No one has any idea what or who they are outside of “car people .” They also completely botched launching this with the support network they needed. They’re trying to sell these still from Hyundai dealers while they work the fine details of standing up 100 new Genesis dealerships but obviously people don’t want to buy a premium product from a typical Hyundai spot without anything to go with it like the service and experience. No one would feel good about buying a 90K CTS-V from a Chevy dealer selling bolts and sparks next to them either.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Yeah, Hyundai was supposed to have separate dealerships but failed to get them set up. At the least, they should have had dealers construct a special Genesis building with luxo feels.

Hyundai's stumbling is good for those of us who want to purchase a 3 year old Genesis after lease. Gonna be some killer deals on mildly driven $50K cars. Last time I looked, you could get 2015s/2016s in the mid $20Ks.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Lets all remember that theeeee 1 Stinger on TCG was punted very shortly after for hmmmmm let me think for a second........... ohhhh yeah it got booted for a BMW! :bowrofl:

That speaks volumes to me despite what some leg humping review says about the Stinger or Kia or Hyundai for the matter IMO.

In TCG I trust. Not in Korean Cars.

All you people saying how great they are go buy one live with it every day then tell us all how it goes.

Until then that dog dont bark :rofl:

Looks good on paper but prolly not worth a fuck in reality.

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
So I went to look up the K900 (as I thought it was cancelled), and evidently they updated it for 2019. So here is an automobile review;

2019 Kia K900 First Drive Review | Automobile Magazine

But he nails the exact reason why it, and of course the Genesis aren't selling;

And that brings us to the most difficult question: Why? Because as good as it is, the Kia K900 makes absolutely no sense. None whatsoever.

For one thing, the current car isn’t selling. Kia moved just 834 K900s in 2016 and 455 in 2017, numbers so low they can be rounded to zero. (For comparison, Mercedes sold nearly 16,000 S-Class cars in 2017, and even Maserati managed to sell 1,700 Quattroportes.) Sure, the new K900 is a better car, but the old one was just fine. Its flagging sales have little to do with the product and everything to do with its position in the segment.

Kia is fielding the K900 as a value-priced luxury car, but I would argue that value is anathema to luxury. Everyone likes a bargain; you’d be nuts to pay $100,000 for a given Mercedes if you could get the same car for $90,000. But when it comes to buying luxury cars, most people are looking to pay for a name. They want to be noticed. And what’s wrong with that? If you’ve worked hard enough to afford a $100,000 Mercedes, you’ve earned a few jealous stares. Never mind what people might say in marketing clinics: Value-for-money is a not a primary purchase motivation for big, ostentatious luxury cars, and the moribund sales of the K900 prove that.

And then there’s the fact that the K900 is a major wrench in the works of Hyundai-Kia’s new luxury brand, Genesis, which features—you guessed it—high-value luxury cars. I can’t help but wonder about the level of corporate dysfunction it takes to allow this to happen. One could argue the benefits of internal competition. After all, consumer goods companies pit their brands against each another all the time. But what works for laundry detergent doesn’t work for cars. You won’t find Buick launching models that compete directly with Cadillac, and even the nearly identical Chevrolet and GMC pickups manage not to step on each other’s toes. It would be much better for the parent company if the Kia K900 were part of the Genesis lineup rather than competing against it.

It’s not like the K900 even fits Kia’s brand image. Over the past few years, Kia has established itself as a purveyor of youthful, sporty vehicles that contrast nicely with Hyundai’s more mature designs, which in turn stop well short of Genesis luxury. The K900 fits Kia like a harp fits a heavy metal band.

What kills me is that the time, money and effort wasted on bringing the K900 to the US could have been invested in federalizing a model we aren’t getting: The Kia Stonic. This oddly-named but handsomely-styled subcompact crossover would be a perfect foil for the Mazda CX-3, Honda HR-V, and Mini Countryman. It’s small enough not to compete directly with the Hyundai Kona and hip enough to complement the Soul and the Stinger. I’m sure the Stonic is nowhere near as profitable as the K900 on a per-unit basis, but small SUVs are one of the hottest segments in the biz, while the K900, good as it may be, is all but guaranteed to fail. I’m no financial whiz, but I bet Kia would make a lot more money selling 50,000 Stonics per year than a thousand or so K900s.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015

Dave M

TCG Elite Member
Aug 28, 2015
Gurnee
Real Name
Morefield
All you people saying how great they are go buy one live with it every day then tell us all how it goes.

Until then that dog dont bark :rofl:

Hold up now... I bought my Sonata turbo in 2012, and it has been flawless the last 6 years I've owned it. Does it feel cheap sometimes... yes, could it use more sound deadening... absolutely, but it's been stone reliable, was a great value for the money and would do it again if I had too. That being said they've come a long way even since 2012 and their new stuff is pretty damn good, but like others have said, they totally screwed themselves with the lackluster marketing just like Infinity did 20 some years ago.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Hold up now... I bought my Sonata turbo in 2012, and it has been flawless the last 6 years I've owned it. Does it feel cheap sometimes... yes, could it use more sound deadening... absolutely, but it's been stone reliable, was a great value for the money and would do it again if I had too. That being said they've come a long way even since 2012 and their new stuff is pretty damn good, but like others have said, they totally screwed themselves with the lackluster marketing just like Infinity did 20 some years ago.

Agreed. I would never pay 40,50 or 60k for a Hyundai but both my mom and my mother in law have 2012 Veracruz’s and love them. Flawless so far and free oil changes at the dealer.

I will laugh at this new cars price but I won’t knock their later model reliability

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Americans don't want Korean cars unless they're cheap. That simple!

IMO this is true. Hyundai's failures aside, I'd never consider spending $45k+ on a car made in South Korea. I have no problem with foreign cars, but that's just too much of a stretch. Also working against them..... demand for big cars is dropping.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015

I dont disagree with any of that. Nor am i questioning their reliability.

Their brand image/stigma and their marketing is the problem.

The reviews can rave all they want its gonna take a hell of a long time for the to be worthy of being in the same sentance as BMW, Benz, or Audi.

And zero people cross shop a Korean car vs. the Germans.

Just like Lincoln and the new Navigator is a hell of an upgrade but as much as it chokes me to say GM still owns the fullsize SUV segment.

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin

You pretty much made the point we've been making here.

You bought your Hyundai Sonata because in it's market segment it may offer a "great value for the money..." type argument.

That works great for a Sonata. Not necessarily a large luxo barge. People are buying those types of vehicles for the prestige and badge can afford it. They aren't, no matter Hyundai's efforts, going to cross shop a BMW 7 series or Mercedes S-Class with a Hyundai Genesis. The 3 people buying Hyundai Genesis's are those who WANT to a 7 series or S-Class, but are on a beer budget.

Idoma

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Jun 13, 2012
Plainfield
I dont disagree with any of that. Nor am i questioning their reliability.

Their brand image/stigma and their marketing is the problem.

The reviews can rave all they want its gonna take a hell of a long time for the to be worthy of being in the same sentance as BMW, Benz, or Audi.

And zero people cross shop a Korean car vs. the Germans.

Just like Lincoln and the new Navigator is a hell of an upgrade but as much as it chokes me to say GM still owns the fullsize SUV segment.

Totally agree with this x2! From where they started to where they are now is light years apart. It will be quite some time before the image/stigma is forgotten and their marketing strategy needs to man up. My wife has the Genesis coupe and the car is amazing and we are actually looking at adding the full size Genesis sooner rather than later. We have been out test driving them and I am sold. And as mentioned earlier, it undercuts the BMW, etc by at least $20k. And their reliability is the bees knees. But it will take time for sales to match the hype of the awards that they are winning. :smile:

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Totally agree with this x2! From where they started to where they are now is light years apart. It will be quite some time before the image/stigma is forgotten and their marketing strategy needs to man up. My wife has the Genesis coupe and the car is amazing and we are actually looking at adding the full size Genesis sooner rather than later. We have been out test driving them and I am sold. And as mentioned earlier, it undercuts the BMW, etc by at least $20k. And their reliability is the bees knees. But it will take time for sales to match the hype of the awards that they are winning. :smile:

What exactly is amazing about the genesis coupe? My wife had an R-spec and honestly I thought it was pretty lackluster. Always felt heavy and didn’t have a good ride.

The g80 is amazing and shouldn’t even be compared to the coupe though

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info