TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Gas prices rise and things will get interesting for Ford

Was just talking to my dad about how short sighted this seems. Trump rolling back the fuel economy standards now, but who knows what the next president will do or what gas prices will do. How much is this going to cost in the long run if they have to retool back up for a run on high gas mileage cars again?

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Bought one new car once in my life.

Did the math after pulling off the dealers lot and have never felt like such an idiot since.

What a waste of money. Never again. Let someone else pay $50,000.00 for a fricken pickup truck. I'll pick it up for a song at 70,000 miles and drive it for 10 years.

So in that respect, I don't have a carry-over brand loyalty from a new car purchase. I do find good used Fords are the most consistent low cost of ownership cars and trucks for me.

The truck comment? I bought my 1994 Lightning in 2003 for $3200.00. I am still driving it and from the offers I frequently turn down, it is worth far more than what I paid for it. It just turned 125,000 miles.

Keeping an ear to the ground for a good Harley F 150....One will come along and it won't be $75,000.00

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)

Did the math after pulling off the dealers lot and have never felt like such an idiot since.

What a waste of money. Never again. Let someone else pay $50,000.00 for a fricken pickup truck. I'll pick it up for a song at 70,000 miles and drive it for 10 years.

So in that respect, I don't have a carry-over brand loyalty from a new car purchase. I do find good used Fords are the most consistent low cost of ownership cars and trucks for me.

The truck comment? I bought my 1994 Lightning in 2003 for $3200.00. I am still driving it and from the offers I frequently turn down, it is worth far more than what I paid for it. It just turned 125,000 miles.

Keeping an ear to the ground for a good Harley F 150....One will come along and it won't be $75,000.00

That's the advantage you can be patient and you know the "pattern failures" of a vehicle before going in and be patient to get a good deal on something older. The down side is shit like my XC90 which parts availability and cost suck for.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010

Have you looked at used truck prices lately?? In 2008 I bought a 2006 loaded F-150 with 30k miles for around 20k. Today a 2008 tahoe with 100k miles is 20k. I priced out used trucks and wound up buying new because with incentives I paid about 2k more for a 0 mile truck.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
As mentioned, a manufacturer needs entry level vehicles to corral the next generation. Ford is making a mistake if they cancel these cars. Some people don't want SUVs.

right, i agree... especially with how much infotainment bullshit all these cars are getting, i feel they are going to go the way of android v apple... where once you learn some system like sync or mylink or uconnect or whatever, you feel like you want to stick with it because "it's what you know"

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I dont think we would see all three models go away, maybe blend parts of all of them into one or two vehicles instead?

I wonder if part of this might be because theyre expecting some of those people to go into the Ecosport? :dunno:

bingo.

ecosport starts at 19k... focus starts at 17k

i'd bet most people buying these new that aren't rental car company's are mid 20's broads who like suv's cuz "they feel safer and can see better"

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I was curious how they could make any money on mine when they had to put me in a rental car and rebuild the transmission so many times.

cd9906d7a6e12540687506798a85c55d.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Starting on April 3rd, Honda rejigged the car’s money factor to the equivalent of 3 percent APR, down from March’s 5.5 percent, thus lowering monthly payments. That means a 2018 Accord LX, equipped with the 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder, now leases for $249 a month for 36 months with $800 less due at signing. This works out to $22 less a month over the term of the lease.

Move up to a 1.5T EX and the amount due at signing drops $1,100. That trim now leases for $289 over a 36-month term, saving a customer $31 each month. The 2.0T Sport model sees a reduction in both payment and down payment, however — Honda lists the monthly payment at $10 less than before, with cash due at signing falling $900. While a better deal for lessees, there’s lower payments to be found with many of the Accord’s competitors, including the Toyota Camry, Mazda 6, and Ford Fusion.

It’s not just lessees getting a break in April. A new financing promotion means all Accord models are eligible for 1.9 percent APR for 36 months, or 2.9 percent if you want to stretch it to 60 months.

On a year-over-year basis, Accord sales have fallen for the last five months. In comparison, the Accord’s main challenger, the Camry, has done a good job of maintaining sales volume in the face of an overall segment decline. You can’t, however, get a Camry with a stick shift.

dang.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Fiesta going away wouldn't surprise me. People in America are so set on having a bigger vehicle for everything. I am 6 foot 2 my wife is 6 foot and we could fit in that thing just fine for road trips etc. And it worked great for my wifes city commute and parking. Only reason we got rid of it is the powershit transmission flaking out and leaving her stranded twice. I drive a mazda3 (focus clone) which is bigger and have moved a ton of stuff in it. My only space complaint is rear occupant legroom which they fixed with the next gen of the mazda3.

right, i agree... especially with how much infotainment bullshit all these cars are getting, i feel they are going to go the way of android v apple... where once you learn some system like sync or mylink or uconnect or whatever, you feel like you want to stick with it because "it's what you know"

Except once everyone goes to Android Auto and Apple carplay the point is moot.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Fiesta going away wouldn't surprise me. People in America are so set on having a bigger vehicle for everything. I am 6 foot 2 my wife is 6 foot and we could fit in that thing just fine for road trips etc. And it worked great for my wifes city commute and parking. Only reason we got rid of it is the powershit transmission flaking out and leaving her stranded twice. I drive a mazda3 (focus clone) which is bigger and have moved a ton of stuff in it. My only space complaint is rear occupant legroom which they fixed with the next gen of the mazda3.

Except once everyone goes to Android Auto and Apple carplay the point is moot.

I don't think so.

My wife's vehicle has factory android auto/apple carplay and she hardly ever uses it... my truck has an aftermarket android auto head unit and i use it when im driving further distances occasionally...

you still have to have the interface to input the information, something that so many manufacturers keep fucking up.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
i mean shit, everyone had a raging boner that honda was putting volume knobs back in some of their vehicles this past year :rofl: a fucking volume knob

Yeah no volume knob would a "Im out". Althought I do volume by the steering controls 95 percent of the time.

Surprised by your android auto experience I used it almost all the time when we had a loaner with it while the fiesta was being shitty. Too cheap to put a new head unit in my 2012 3 which is probably the last car to not have all the rear camera/infotainment stuff for it.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Yeah no volume knob would a "Im out". Althought I do volume by the steering controls 95 percent of the time.

Surprised by your android auto experience I used it almost all the time when we had a loaner with it while the fiesta was being shitty. Too cheap to put a new head unit in my 2012 3 which is probably the last car to not have all the rear camera/infotainment stuff for it.

I guess it lost it's novelty for me personally. I'm terrible though (zomg) and i'll text when i drive, and the voice to text was frustrating sometimes.

the aftermarket android head units have gotten much more reasonable than a little while ago.

ill use it for when i need navigation though for sure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info