Uh-oh Tesla

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Stock is really taking a hit

Tesla Model X driver dies in Mountain View crash

It leaves a number of questions about the cause and aftermath.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/24/tesla-model-x-driver-dies-in-mountain-view-crash/

Tesla shares plummeted 8.21 percent on Tuesday, to their lowest level in almost a year, after the National Transportation Safety Board said it had sent investigators to the site of a fatal crash last week on Highway 101 in Mountain View involving one of the company's cars.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose...-investigation-tsla.html?ana=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

[MENTION=396]Mike K[/MENTION]

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Tesla is finally being held accountable by the financial markets. They've been unable to meet production deadline for the Model 3, which in my opinion is what's dragging the stock down.

In other news,
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...l-collapse-says-hedge-fund-manager-2018-03-27

From what I’ve read the production deadline for the Model 3’s have been impacted by Lithium constraints due to skyrocketing demand. Which is not unique to Tesla, but anybody that manufactures products with Lithium Ion battery tech.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008

This isn't why the stock is down. The stock is down because the entire market is down and because apparently it's looking like Tesla isn't going to hit Model 3 production targets they already lowered. That's not good. I doubt it has anything to do with this though.

But about this crash... At first glance you look at the burnt out shell of the seat and burnt interior and you wonder what happened and if the person burned to death but then further down the page in the link you posted is a video from a "Good Samaritan" that clearly shows the X in the same state only not burned at all which means the driver didn't burn to death which means we're dealing with a violent accident. But the Tesla is tested to the same standards as every other car and I believe the S and X are literally the two safest cars you can buy right now.

No car, no matter how safe it is, is immune to freak accidents. A few years back there was a high speed chase with a stolen Model S in West Hollywood. The guy hit something at speed and split the car in two. It is what it is. It's only news because it's a Tesla. If that was a Ford F150 you wouldn't have heard a peep because nobody gives a shit about a Ford F150.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Tesla is finally being held accountable by the financial markets. They've been unable to meet production deadline for the Model 3, which in my opinion is what's dragging the stock down.

In other news,
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...l-collapse-says-hedge-fund-manager-2018-03-27

Lots of legitimate criticism to be heaped on Tesla but pretty much everyone in the stock world, even people really bearish on Tesla, agree that the article is a joke. The guy manages a $25,000,000 fund and he was short on Tesla long, long ago. Nobody is taking him seriously but again, since he's combining the words Tesla and bankruptcy... that kind of sensationalism is the media's wet dream.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Now that I watch the video again, the battery seems to have performed just as designed. It's broken into 9 different modules designed to mitigate the spread of fire or a chain reaction burnout if a battery module should be breached. The front module was clearly breached but even as it's on fire it's a small fire and the picture of the car after the fire was put out shows that it did not spread to other modules.

Not only that but it doesn't appear to have been a high temperature fire. Again, in the video the interior is in tact despite the driver not being present but in the burnt out pictures the interior is largely still in tact, only it appears the faux leather Tesla uses burnt off the seats and the doors, revealing the foam beneath them. Typically in a car fire the only thing left is the seat frame, not a fully in tact piece of seat foam which means that likely the leather bits all caught a flame and then burned themselves out versus being engulfed in flames.

From a fire perspective I don't see anything alarming here. I'm open to having my mind changed if someone wants to post a competing, fact based opinion... Not just "derrrrr I don't like Tesla".

Unless there's some fatal flaw in the structure of the car, which seems unlikely, I think there won't be much to come from this.

The bigger question is whether autopilot was active during the accident. I don't see anywhere that says it was or wasn't but if it was and the car took itself into a barrier I can see that being a big issue.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
It's only news because it's a Tesla. If that was a Ford F150 you wouldn't have heard a peep because nobody gives a shit about a Ford F150.

Thought the F150 is one of the number 1 selling vehicles. People give a shit about the F150, and trucks in general for that matter.

Maybe a Chrysler 200 would have been a better comparison to use.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Lots of legitimate criticism to be heaped on Tesla but pretty much everyone in the stock world, even people really bearish on Tesla, agree that the article is a joke. The guy manages a $25,000,000 fund and he was short on Tesla long, long ago. Nobody is taking him seriously but again, since he's combining the words Tesla and bankruptcy... that kind of sensationalism is the media's wet dream.

I just saw it yesterday and it was a bit of a trolling post.

Tesla is in real trouble if they can’t ramp production, improve quality perception, and more important stop the cash burn. The investment world seems to be getting impatient with Tesla not meeting goals. Frankly, my opinion is if they don’t figure it out soon the company is doomed as they are letting major manufacturers catch up. Those major manufacturers can churn out vehicles with high quality standards.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Tesla gets a lot of press good or bad. Musk uses the media as his main marketing tool.

That being said, I think that Tesla does get a bit of a bad rep with accidents. Part of that is tied to autonomous driving and the technology being so new and relatively untested.

:werd:

i think this is even more so autonomous driving issues and situations that were going to come up no matter which manufacturer went down that path first and strongest.

lot's of conversations are happening for situations that would have been encountered no matter which brand was behind the autonomous vehicle.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I just saw it yesterday and it was a bit of a trolling post.

Tesla is in real trouble if they can’t ramp production, improve quality perception, and more important stop the cash burn. The investment world seems to be getting impatient with Tesla not meeting goals. Frankly, my opinion is if they don’t figure it out soon the company is doomed as they are letting major manufacturers catch up. Those major manufacturers can churn out vehicles with high quality standards.

tesla is getting a pass by many of the first adapters i feel.

like when you go to a brand new restaurant and you look past issues you have because they are having growing issues and "just started out"

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
^exactly.

There is usually 1-2 major crashes on I-55 a day on my way home.

No one hears or gives a shit about them.

Their families and friends do.

Also those who are then stuck in traffic due to the accident.

Not to mention the Emergency Responders including Tow Truck co, Insurance companies, Automobile manufacturers, Dept of Hwy Safety, Funeral home and associated Florist.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
People only care because this was Tesla. When you have the greatest engineered and technologically advanced car on the road, there is going to be many that are very jealous. People love to see these engineering marvels fail because they're jealous they can't have one...end of story.

If this was another car...the occupant would likely be dead. This Tesla likely saved his life.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info