Linocoln Continental... One and done

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/15/lincoln-continental-to-end/

After only 18 months on sale, the vultures of rumor have begun circling above the Lincoln Continental. Ford Authority says "sources intricately familiar with Ford Motor Company's future product plans" for the domestic luxury brand say the Continental won't get another chance at life after this generation. Those sources didn't detail Ford's reasons for dispatching the executioner on another sad task, but if this is true, even the reasons we can only guess make enough sense to justify the move.

The Continental launched into a crossover mania still mushrooming in strength like some Marvel villain, the equivalent of a new dinosaur hatching a few months before the Chicxulub Impact Event. In 18 months, the Continental sold 18,846 units, 12,012 of those sales happening in 2017. In the U.S. this year, sales amounted to 1,573 units through February, about 25 percent down on the annualized monthly rate.

It could be worse: The Lexus GS has found 1,009 U.S. buyers so far this year, the Acura RLX, 285. Conversely, the Cadillac XTS — yes, a fleet darling — secured 3,163 sales in the same period. And the German kingpins live in another dimension, with BMW scooting 5,641 5 Series models off dealer lots, and the Mercedes E-Class boasting 8,411 sales of all three variants. Even the much more expensive and much more profitable Lincoln Navigator rang up 2,351 sales in the first 60 days of 2018. That's disheartening reading, especially after Ford reportedly spent more than $1 billion to bring the Continental to market.

Sedan segment woes look to have killed the Continental's platform siblings, too, making the Lincoln's demise simply part of the cull. The CD4 architecture also underpins the Ford Fusion and Lincoln MKZ. Ford canceled the Fusion redesign and won't commit to making either vehicle after 2020. Lincoln's passenger car sales declined more than 30 percent last month; meanwhile, Lincoln needs to spend its money on the crossovers that are selling, and investment in the coming three-row Aviator that will replace the MKT.

Ford has a CD6 platform in development that suits front-, rear-, and all-wheel-drive vehicles. Under previous CEO Mark Fields, a new Fusion, Mustang, and MKZ would ride on the CD6, as well as the new Explorer and a Lincoln brother. Those plans left with the previous administration, and company sources told both Ford Authority and The Truth About Cars not to expect a Continental revival on that architecture.

I guess we all saw the writing on the wall.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I do like it but I only like it relative to what else Lincoln has recently made. Once you compare it to anything from Europe it's an instant nope. That said, it looks like Lincoln has a winner in the Navigator so I wouldn't write them off.

Sedans aren't moving right now anyhow. Look at how much praise Cadillacs cars get and they can't give them away.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I do like it but I only like it relative to what else Lincoln has recently made. Once you compare it to anything from Europe it's an instant nope. That said, it looks like Lincoln has a winner in the Navigator so I wouldn't write them off.

Sedans aren't moving right now anyhow. Look at how much praise Cadillacs cars get and they can't give them away.

oh jeeze did you miss the navigator thread

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Not surprising. It's just a stretched MKZ (Fusion). Not a good replacement for the MKS (Taurus). Although I do prefer the name Continental over anything MKwhatever.

Admit defeat like they did with the Ford Five Hundred. Bring back the MKS/Taurus, put a hump on the truck and call that the Continental. And make the Ecoboost 3.5 standard.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Not surprising. It's just a stretched MKZ (Fusion). Not a good replacement for the MKS (Taurus). Although I do prefer the name Continental over anything MKwhatever.

Admit defeat like they did with the Ford Five Hundred. Bring back the MKS/Taurus, put a hump on the truck and call that the Continental. And make the Ecoboost 3.5 standard.

I think large sedans are done. Everyone wants a smaller sedan or an SUV.

A shame...because I've always been a fan of large sedans...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
+1

It is a sick looking car, will be a good purchase anytime after Lincoln's standard 2-year 60% depreciation takes effect.

it's still crazy to me that people don't like big cars anymore

:werd:

i love big burly rwd sedan's... well... and coupes for that matter. bring back a worthy mark viii or rwd cadillac eldorado something and i'd be swangin'

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
shupntakemymonehhh

Buick-Avista-concept-live-rear-three-quarter-13.jpg

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I wish I was old enough to own one

For whatever reason, I don't care about preconceived notions of who should or shouldn't own a car. I'd own a Forester because I like the boxy look, even though lesbians like boxes too. I'd own a Miata, because what's not to like about a small RWD manual coupe, I don't care if people think I have a vagina. Shit I own a Flex, I haven't spit out 2+ kids who I shuttle to and from soccer practice. Hell I'd own a V6 Mustang, I'd throw an EcoBoost V6 in it, but I could still say I own a car preferred by vain blondes. I owned a PT Cruiser, there's almost no excuse for it, but :shrug:

The Conti has a 400 HP V6 and those uber comfortable seats, and I don't think it looks too bad. NFG if people think I'm 70

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
It's looking less and less like I'm going to be able to get a Ford RWD sedan of some sort :tear:

BUT, I still swing pretty hard off the Conti and may have to get a loaded 3.0EB in a few years

Ford has a CD6 platform in development that suits front-, rear-, and all-wheel-drive vehicles. Under previous CEO Mark Fields, a new Fusion, Mustang, and MKZ would ride on the CD6, as well as the new Explorer and a Lincoln brother.

lets see how this plays out.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017

Ford has a CD6 platform in development that suits front-, rear-, and all-wheel-drive vehicles. Under previous CEO Mark Fields, a new Fusion, Mustang, and MKZ would ride on the CD6, as well as the new Explorer and a Lincoln brother.

lets see how this plays out.

I was just saying, judging by sedan sales, I doubt that Ford would invest in a Fusion and also a RWD sedan. Maybe the Lincoln will be RWD. I'm really just curious what sort of witchcraft this new CD6 platform has that could be adapted to RWD and FWD with any sort of efficiency...

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I thought a month or two ago ford said that they were moving away from car sales all-together and investing in small SUV's and other Cross-over type vehicles?? That would fit this narrative.

However, I may be mixing it up with another auto manufacturer.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
No that's what they're trying to do....there was a new Fusion in the pipeline, but that was nixed. They have the CD6 platform cars coming out soon, that'll take over only God knows what models. I mean, if I'm reading this right, the CD6 could handle the Mustang, Fusion, Taurus, Explorer, Edge, MKX, MKZ, and a larger Lincoln sedan or SUV (think Explorer-ized Lincoln)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info