The Supra finally returns (kind of)

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/06/toyota-gr-supra-concept-revealed-geneva-593044/#slide-7265119

https://www.motormag.com.au/news/1803/geneva-motor-show-next-toyota-supra-revealed

I think it looks great

gr_Supra1.jpg

2018-Geneva-Motor-Show-Next-Toyota-Supra.jpg

2018-toyota-gr-supra-racing-concept.jpg

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Its getting an inline 6 (turbo) and according to Tetsuya Tada, it will be tuning friendly...NO manual option.

A manual transmission seems to be off the table. Tada said that Supra fans don't think it's a huge requirement, though we have a hard time believing him on that point. As it's likely a BMW engine, look for some variant of the ZF eight-speed automatic or possibly a dual-clutch transmission. There won't be a transaxle either, though Tada says the Supra will have perfect 50:50 weight distribution. It'll also have a lower center-of-gravity than the 86, though how it achieves either of those things with a longer, taller engine and a shorter wheelbase is unclear. Black magic, we say.

Like the 86, Tada wants the Supra to be a sharpened sportscar that is measured on things like fun-to-drive or ease-of-maneuver rather than ultimate performance. We won't be surprised if, like the 86, the Supra puts out a bit less horsepower than some were hoping for. This is a break from Supras of old. The original cars were always GT cars that punched far above their weight. The fourth-gen model was making 320 horsepower in the early 1990s. Tada wouldn't mention specific competitors, but he did say they buy every new Porsche that hits the street.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
"Like the 86, Tada wants the Supra to be a sharpened sportscar that is measured on things like fun-to-drive or ease-of-maneuver rather than ultimate performance."

I hear the same kind of remarks when Mazda speaks of the Miata. And comparing it to the 86 doesn't put rest any fears that it might be low on power. Kind of sad to think the Supra might not be what anyone wants. Well outside of Toyota.

And implying the Supra will be in the league of a Porsche. Which one? The 300hp Cayman? It sure doesn't seem like they mean the 370 hp 911 Carrera. At least based on the fact they keep mentioning or hinting at low power numbers.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I just envision it without that awful diffuser in the back. Wouldn't surprise me if they kept a similar wing. No one thought that they would put a ridiculous wing on the Viper ACR but they did and got away with it.

I am not a person who likes big wings, defusers, winglets and so on. But on a car optioned or meant to be on a race track, I'm fine with all that aero. The ACR is a racecar meant to be liveable on the street. So it works. If the Supra has a track package to include aero, I think it will work. But buyers having an option to have those big aero pieces or not would be nice.

I think this car looks pertty good as a race car. I think the road version looks pretty good as well. I like the long hood, short deck look as well as the narrowed rear roof line. That roof line makes it look less bulky and makes it look like it has wide hips. I dig that. I just am interested to see the hp options and the pricing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info