There May Be A Ford Explorer ST Coming Too: Report

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
help

The best details, believe me

Alright, so, Ford’s performance-oriented ST lineup is admittedly a little thin. But that’s fine, because Ford is going to give us an Edge ST and also, possibly, an Explorer ST, too. Nothing screams fun like performance crossovers and SUVs, I always say.

Ford will pluck the 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 that currently lives in the Lincoln Continental and MKZ and stuff it into the 2020 Explorer ST, according to The Truth About Cars, which sites unnamed sources. That engine currently makes 400 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque, but TTAC expects an increase in power in the ST version.

Additionally, TTAC has also reported that the Explorer could go rear-drive, so if both of these things actually materialize in the next-gen model, I’d actually be a very happy camper indeed. A 400-plus HP rear-driven SUV? That’d be pretty badass. I’m not holding my breath for a manual option, though. Life isn’t that good. Likely what will happen is that the Explorer ST will get Ford’s 10-speed automatic.

But can you imagine getting chased down the highway by a police Explorer ST? It’d almost be worth it to see police camped out on the sides of highways to get a glimpse of the new police vehicles.

When TTAC tapped Ford for comment, a spokesperson responded that they don’t speculate about future products.

[MENTION=1938]jason05gt[/MENTION] [MENTION=5001]Ryan02Stang[/MENTION] see bold :noes:

https://jalopnik.com/there-might-be-a-ford-explorer-st-coming-too-report-1822546189

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
This is a no-brainer, but a lot of the information seems to be far fetched. I don't buy the 3.0 rumor as the current gen has the old version of the 3.5L Ecoboost and the new version makes just as much power, but a lot more torque as compared to the 3.0 TT.
It will be the 3.0...

wrong.jpg

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
This is a no-brainer, but a lot of the information seems to be far fetched. I don't buy the 3.0 rumor as the current gen has the old version of the 3.5L Ecoboost and the new version makes just as much power, but a lot more torque as compared to the 3.0 TT.

The only really issue I see is the rumor of the Explorer going RWD. There's no chance of that.

The current 3.5 is the old gen and "only" makes 355/355 I believe. The article mentioned the Explorer could get a little power bump to Lincoln's 400/400.

Also they haven't put the new generation 3.5 into anything transverse yet. I think the 3.0TT is going to take over for that.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Exactly. It will be FWD based AWD, new gen 3.5 isn't designed for that. And they aren't going to put the 2.7L in it and go down in HP, and they aren't going to design an engine for one car.

It will be the 3.0L TT at 400hp. Current gen is 365hp.

I think all the transverse have 365, but some are rated at 355 for whatever reason.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Ford will likely go with the 2.7 lol

The 3.5 is the most logical choice as it's Ford's newest and most powerful EB motor.

I don't believe the RWD packaging either.

2.7TT doesn't make enough power for the proposed Explorer application, the 3.5TT could theoretically be too powerful, the 3.0TT would be the logical inbetween. Would make more power than its predecessor AND theoretically be more efficient.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
The only really issue I see is the rumor of the Explorer going RWD. There's no chance of that.

The current 3.5 is the old gen and "only" makes 355/355 I believe. The article mentioned the Explorer could get a little power bump to Lincoln's 400/400.

Also they haven't put the new generation 3.5 into anything transverse yet. I think the 3.0TT is going to take over for that.

I don't see why the current gen 3.5 EB couldn't work transversely. Maybe the limitation is the transmission capacity in that setup?

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I think all the transverse have 365, but some are rated at 355 for whatever reason.

The original Lincoln MKS's and MKT's and Ford Flexes were rated at 355 for whatever reason, but then went to 365 in 2013. The SHO and Explorer Sport were always 365.

As far as I know there is no actual difference in HP between them...

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I don't see why the current gen 3.5 EB couldn't work transversely. Maybe the limitation is the transmission capacity in that setup?

Yeah I'm not sure, but I think it's pretty telling that Ford hasn't put the Gen 2 3.5EB into anything transverse yet. I'm think it's going to stay a RWD only engine, for whatever reason (transmission/PTU strength could very well be the reasoning.) It does make a shit load of torque, even in the lowly F-150 version, it makes 470 torque, compared to the Raptor's 510.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
The original Lincoln MKS's and MKT's and Ford Flexes were rated at 355 for whatever reason, but then went to 365 in 2013. The SHO and Explorer Sport were always 365.

As far as I know there is no actual difference in HP between them...

From what I understand they were rated differently, but there's no difference between any of them.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
2.7TT doesn't make enough power for the proposed Explorer application, the 3.5TT could theoretically be too powerful, the 3.0TT would be the logical inbetween. Would make more power than its predecessor AND theoretically be more efficient.

The CD6/D6 platform is rumored to be lighter, so 335hp with more gears in a lighter platform would be plenty.

The current Explorer Sport is a heffer and tuned really soft in my opinion. I wasn't a huge fan when I test drove it compared to the Edge Sport.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info