Forum Register Members Casino Live Posting Feed Garage Arcade Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   The Chicago Garage > The Garage > Auto News Today

User Tag List

Like Tree92Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2019, 11:06 AM   #126
 
Pressure Ratio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,459
Casino cash: $76588076
3.13 per day
Default

On the 911 forums, all you hear about is coolant pipes blowing out of their housings. They would have you believe that every car has this issue. Then the ran a poll asking if people had issues with it, no issues, or fixed them as preventative maintenance.

Very few had them leak. Most had no issues. But many did fix them before they had signs of issues. I am sure because all they read is how they will fail on the forums. As well as manufactures of upgraded coolant pipes wanting to sell as many as possible to make money.
Pressure Ratio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:09 AM   #127
 
Pressure Ratio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,459
Casino cash: $76588076
3.13 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs FRC View Post
The 1 qt guesstimate was obviously pulled out of Pratts stink star...
But yet you say a quart every 500 miles. :tard:
Pressure Ratio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:15 AM   #128
 
Jeffs FRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Carpentersville
Posts: 2,409
Casino cash: $29139000
0.52 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure Ratio View Post
But yet you say a quart every 500 miles. :tard:
I'd say a qt every 500-1000 miles is on the excessive side:TARD: Losing a qt between a typical 5k mile oil change is not excessive.


Are you implying that I'm implying that EVERY gt350 is an oil burner? I agree that most cars are most likely problem free. What I'm saying is that there IS an issue with SOME(more than the normal amount) gt350's burning an excessive amount of oil, and that I myself would be worried about buying a low mile gt350 that someone dumped because of oil burning issues.

Fact is there are guys burning MUCH more than 1 qt of oil between an oil change like you mentioned...lol
__________________
'15 Mustang GT
'17 Exploder Sport
'09 HD Street Glide
Jeffs FRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #129
 
Jeffs FRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Carpentersville
Posts: 2,409
Casino cash: $29139000
0.52 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs FRC View Post
I'd say a qt every 500-1000 miles is on the excessive side:TARD: Losing a qt between a typical 5k mile oil change is not excessive.


Are you implying that I'm implying that EVERY gt350 is an oil burner? I agree that most cars are most likely problem free. What I'm saying is that there IS an issue with SOME(more than the normal amount) gt350's burning an excessive amount of oil, and that I myself would be worried about buying a low mile gt350 that someone dumped because of oil burning issues.

Fact is there are guys burning MUCH more than 1 qt of oil between an oil change like you mentioned...lol
I uppercased key words so you don't get confused
Jeffs FRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:35 AM   #130
Cobra Brigade Presidente
 
03GTGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,977
Casino cash: $9861400
0.92 per day
Default

The guys burning alot more then 1qt are going to have problems down the road, but like pratt said its few and far between
Pressure Ratio likes this.
__________________
01 Cobra
11 Fusion Sport

Cobra Brigade
03GTGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:13 PM   #131
 
Pressure Ratio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,459
Casino cash: $76588076
3.13 per day
Default

@Jeff FRC stop believing everything you read on the internet lol

and why do you care? You're not looking to buy one. haha
Blood on Blood likes this.
Pressure Ratio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:26 PM   #132
 
jason05gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Garfield Park
Posts: 12,702
Casino cash: $45976040
2.82 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure Ratio View Post
These are also the guys that run the car to 8,000 rpm and let it drag down rpm as the car comes to a stop. Lots of time in vacuum pulling oil from the PCV. Driving style can have a huge amount to do with oil consumption.

Some cars may have some issues. But you have to remember you are talking about people on a forum that are overly picky owners. Many clueless as to how cars work. Owners who bought a Shelby because they want the coolest car even though they all they know is where the fuel goes in and that they think people love to hear the car at 8,000 rpm. "A break-in period? What is that?"

I am going to guess the number of cars sold versus the number of cars that required an engine repair is pretty small. Otherwise, Ford would be required/pushed by NHTSA or whoever is responsible for that.

You have to take into account what is needed for an 8,000 v8 engine. Piston design and ring packages are important. Plus emissions requirements calling for specific oils and so on. You can't have the perfect situation to cover everything. You are going to have compromises in a race engine in a production car. Even a quart at 500 miles, who cares. Fill it and have a blast with the car. I doubt many are experiencing something that bad anyways. I think exaggerating may be happening there.

If anyone wants a GT350, go buy one and enjoy it.
As marvelous as the high-revving V-8 is, its thirst for oil and gas proved insatiable. Run it hard and it will drink premium at an alarming rate. During one of our mountain blasts, the GT350 emptied its tank in 151 miles at an average of 10 mpg. Our 17-mpg test average was 1 mpg better than the EPA's combined rating, but ours includes many miles on the interstates. And then there's the oil-consumption issue: Over 40,000 miles, we added 21.5 quarts of 5W-50. That's in addition to scheduled oil changes. It's the most we've ever added during a long-term test by a long shot. Ford released a supplement to the owner's manual stating that the engine might consume a quart every 500 miles under severe use. "Severe use" pretty accurately sums up our treatment of just about any car, but particularly one with an 8250-rpm redline. And we were lucky; internet forums are rife with horror stories of Shelbys consuming far more.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...lity-update-3

A quart at every 500 is 10 quarts and $50 in oil during the duration of a normal oil change interval . That excessive to me. This isn’t the first high revving V8
jason05gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #133
 
Kensington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 6,906
Casino cash: $31066500
10.64 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure Ratio View Post
On the 911 forums, all you hear about is coolant pipes blowing out of their housings. They would have you believe that every car has this issue. Then the ran a poll asking if people had issues with it, no issues, or fixed them as preventative maintenance.

Very few had them leak. Most had no issues. But many did fix them before they had signs of issues. I am sure because all they read is how they will fail on the forums. As well as manufactures of upgraded coolant pipes wanting to sell as many as possible to make money.
I mean, you see that a lot on basically all forums.

Because I've been in the EcoBoost world for the past few years, I hear about their issues that seem overblown on the forum, but don't really seem representative of the whole. Turbos blowing up at 30K miles, PTU's blowing up, water pumps imploding and dumping coolant into the oil pan. I'd say these issues are VERY few and far between, but they seem to cause a huge stir, and some people point to them when they say the motor is junk or why they would never buy one, when the chances of any of those things happening are super slim.
Kensington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #134
 
Jeffs FRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Carpentersville
Posts: 2,409
Casino cash: $29139000
0.52 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure Ratio View Post
@Jeff FRC stop believing everything you read on the internet lol

and why do you care? You're not looking to buy one. haha
Not looking to buy because oil burning junker! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason05gt View Post
As marvelous as the high-revving V-8 is, its thirst for oil and gas proved insatiable. Run it hard and it will drink premium at an alarming rate. During one of our mountain blasts, the GT350 emptied its tank in 151 miles at an average of 10 mpg. Our 17-mpg test average was 1 mpg better than the EPA's combined rating, but ours includes many miles on the interstates. And then there's the oil-consumption issue: Over 40,000 miles, we added 21.5 quarts of 5W-50. That's in addition to scheduled oil changes. It's the most we've ever added during a long-term test by a long shot. Ford released a supplement to the owner's manual stating that the engine might consume a quart every 500 miles under severe use. "Severe use" pretty accurately sums up our treatment of just about any car, but particularly one with an 8250-rpm redline. And we were lucky; internet forums are rife with horror stories of Shelbys consuming far more.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...lity-update-3
Shhhhhhh! Pratt says they only burn 1qt tops between oil changes and not to worry! Just buy and enjoy. lol
A quart at every 500 is 10 quarts and $50 in oil during the duration of a normal oil change interval . That excessive to me. This isn’t the first high revving V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
I mean, you see that a lot on basically all forums.

Because I've been in the EcoBoost world for the past few years, I hear about their issues that seem overblown on the forum, but don't really seem representative of the whole. Turbos blowing up at 30K miles, PTU's blowing up, water pumps imploding and dumping coolant into the oil pan. I'd say these issues are VERY few and far between, but they seem to cause a huge stir, and some people point to them when they say the motor is junk or why they would never buy one, when the chances of any of those things happening are super slim.
See Boosties thread about his junker.
Jeffs FRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:42 PM   #135
 
1quick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: coal city
Posts: 18,999
Casino cash: $139536447
4.60 per day
Default

I wonder if guys running breathers or catch cans are going through that much oil, my blower was all full of oil when I took the throttle body off after like 1000 miles on the stock pcv system
__________________
2016 GT 5.slow
1quick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:53 PM   #136
 
Kensington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 6,906
Casino cash: $31066500
10.64 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quick View Post
I wonder if guys running breathers or catch cans are going through that much oil, my blower was all full of oil when I took the throttle body off after like 1000 miles on the stock pcv system
I'd imagine it'd just not burn off, and end up in the catch can. I'd assume you're not draining the catch can back down into the crankcase, so oil loss would still be there, you'd just know where it's going vs burning off.
Kensington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:53 PM   #137
 
Pressure Ratio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,459
Casino cash: $76588076
3.13 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason05gt View Post
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car&Driver
Ford released a supplement to the owner's manual stating that the engine might consume a quart every 500 miles under severe use. "Severe use" pretty accurately sums up our treatment of just about any car, but particularly one with an 8250-rpm redline.
So even the magazine admits the abuse the car and run it through its paces pretty hard. Having the car up and down the tach in gear is going to mean a lot of vacuum with the PCV system. It will pull oil vapor into the engine. My 2011 wasn't bad on the street. On the track it would have a ton of oil in the oil separator/catch can midday. Not surprising as how the car was being treated on a road course.

Abuse the car and it goes through more fuel. That's acceptable.

Abuse the car and the trans and rear end fluids get beat, the brake fluid gets dirty from brake compound and clutch material, all needs replacing well before service intervals. That's acceptable.

Abuse the car and it "uses" oil. Everyone loses their fucking shit. Oh yeah. Because I am a Shelby owner who doesn't understand what abuse does to a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
I mean, you see that a lot on basically all forums.

Because I've been in the EcoBoost world for the past few years, I hear about their issues that seem overblown on the forum, but don't really seem representative of the whole. Turbos blowing up at 30K miles, PTU's blowing up, water pumps imploding and dumping coolant into the oil pan. I'd say these issues are VERY few and far between, but they seem to cause a huge stir, and some people point to them when they say the motor is junk or why they would never buy one, when the chances of any of those things happening are super slim.
Exactly. I am sure the number of legit issues is small. The number of facts from owners is also very small. haha


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
I'd imagine it'd just not burn off, and end up in the catch can. I'd assume you're not draining the catch can back down into the crankcase, so oil loss would still be there, you'd just know where it's going vs burning off.
Most catch cans and oil separators for most cars do not dump back into the engine on their own. So yes, any oil in them is part of the issue.
Blood on Blood likes this.
Pressure Ratio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:57 PM   #138
 
Pressure Ratio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,459
Casino cash: $76588076
3.13 per day
Default

Oh yea, also from the last paragraph of that long term test article...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car&Driver
It's easy to forgive a car's shortcomings when it's this good to drive... the Shelby GT350 has the Voodoo, and it is magical.
mic drop


Pressure Ratio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:08 PM   #139
 
Jeffs FRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Carpentersville
Posts: 2,409
Casino cash: $29139000
0.52 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason05gt View Post
oil-consumption issue: It's the most we've ever added during a long-term test by a LONG SHOT.
@Pressure Ratio

Meaning it burns more oil than any other car they’ve ever tested, “by a long shot” lol
Jeffs FRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:15 PM   #140
 
Pressure Ratio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,459
Casino cash: $76588076
3.13 per day
Default

and?
Pressure Ratio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:53 PM   #141
 
SaturdaysGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago (Southside)
Posts: 4,067
Casino cash: $14698818
0.94 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs FRC View Post


A quart every 2000 miles roughly?
__________________
12 Tahoe PPV
04 Grand Prix GTP Comp G - Turbo'd
SaturdaysGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:02 AM   #142
Cobra Brigade Presidente
 
03GTGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,977
Casino cash: $9861400
0.92 per day
Default

Exactly, and thats with them beating the shit out of the car, calm your jimmies jefe

Perhaps if you actually drove your car, youd see you might even consume a Qt with spirited driving
Blood on Blood likes this.
03GTGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:57 AM   #143
 
Jeffs FRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Carpentersville
Posts: 2,409
Casino cash: $29139000
0.52 per day
Default

I edited my quote to make it more clear for Pratt
Jeffs FRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #144
 
Pressure Ratio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,459
Casino cash: $76588076
3.13 per day
Default

And?
Pressure Ratio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #145
 
Jeffs FRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Carpentersville
Posts: 2,409
Casino cash: $29139000
0.52 per day
Default

Der dee der there’s no issue with gt350’s burning oil even with owners reporting issues and even a magazine saying this vehicle has consumed the most oil they’ve ever seen...lol
Jeffs FRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:43 AM   #146
 
Pressure Ratio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,459
Casino cash: $76588076
3.13 per day
Default

And?
Pressure Ratio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:34 AM   #147
 
Jeffs FRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Carpentersville
Posts: 2,409
Casino cash: $29139000
0.52 per day
Default

And I need moar infos on how da Voodoo doesn’t have problemz with that there oil constumption
Jeffs FRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:13 AM   #148
 
Pressure Ratio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,459
Casino cash: $76588076
3.13 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs FRC View Post
And I need moar infos on how da Voodoo doesn’t have problemz with that there oil constumption
Whoa whoa whoa. Hold up. Problems? Ford says there is no problem. No other group or department has said there was a problem.

Sooo basically the problem is you don't want one because of the potential added cost of maintenance? That is fine, just say that. Oh yeah, You don't want one anyways. haha

And let us not forget not all owners complain about oil consumption. Of the few GT350 owners I know, none say the car has excessive oil consumption. So again, A few make more noise than the ones without issues? On the internet? No fucking way! I'm shocked! Keep spreading the word, have fun. lol
Blood on Blood likes this.
Pressure Ratio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:43 AM   #149
 
jason05gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Garfield Park
Posts: 12,702
Casino cash: $45976040
2.82 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure Ratio View Post
So even the magazine admits the abuse the car and run it through its paces pretty hard. Having the car up and down the tach in gear is going to mean a lot of vacuum with the PCV system. It will pull oil vapor into the engine. My 2011 wasn't bad on the street. On the track it would have a ton of oil in the oil separator/catch can midday. Not surprising as how the car was being treated on a road course.

Abuse the car and it goes through more fuel. That's acceptable.

Abuse the car and the trans and rear end fluids get beat, the brake fluid gets dirty from brake compound and clutch material, all needs replacing well before service intervals. That's acceptable.

Abuse the car and it "uses" oil. Everyone loses their fucking shit. Oh yeah. Because I am a Shelby owner who doesn't understand what abuse does to a car.
There’s one glaring problem with this; The GT350 was designed, engineered, and tested to be abused. Ford in my opinion missed a few things in their durability and track testing. Burning this much oil and overheating on the track are two big issues that should have been caught before the car was released.

Now if this was a Ford Fusion, I can see your point as the engineers didn’t design the car to be pushed hard. The GT350 was.
jason05gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:32 AM   #150
 
Pressure Ratio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,459
Casino cash: $76588076
3.13 per day
Default

Again, is it an issue? Ford says no. So just say'n...




haha





Do you know who I hear complaining about oil consumption more than any other? People who don't own a GT350. And they wouldn't be owners had no one ever mentioned oil consumption. Again, just say'n. lol
Pressure Ratio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.6 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
no new posts