Ford unveiling a new ST model at Detroit?

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Explorer ST with the Raptor 3.5L. Competing directly with the new Durango SRT.

I'd put my money on the 3.0L ecoboost with 400hp...

Since there is the Fusion Sport, probably not the Fusion ST.

Maybe an Escape/Edge?
I think Ford is going to rebrand the "Sports" to "ST's" across their lineup...

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010

ford-airstream-concept.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Explorer ST with the Raptor 3.5L. Competing directly with the new Durango SRT.

That would be sweet.

I don't think there is a Transverse Transmission available to Ford that could deal with that kind of torque output.

Since there is the Fusion Sport, probably not the Fusion ST.

Maybe an Escape/Edge?

They just announced that they basically plan to do nothing with the Fusion at all because SUV sales are so good right now.

I'd love to see them doing an Escape ST given that it shares bones with the Focus, and the RS has been out a little while now so they probably have some R+D $ They'd like to recoup out of the AWD system and transmission that can take some abuse that they have in the RS. Unfortunately, Back to my "I'm not sure if they have any automatics that can deal with that kind of Torque output that are transverse" comment and there is no way they'd sell it as manual trans only. (Side-Note, I'd buy an AWD manual trans Escape with the 2.3 Ecoboost in a heartbeat).

I actually suspect Mustang, there has been talk that there would be SOME kind of hot 2018/2019 Mustang announced during the Detroit or Chicago Auto Shows (GT500, Bullit, Something), so it would make sense if they want to broaden the ST Nameplate.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I'd put my money on the 3.0L ecoboost with 400hp...

I think Ford is going to rebrand the "Sports" to "ST's" across their lineup...

In order to be a "ST" a car must be equipped with a manual transmission, with no auto in sight.

Ford could change that, but right now thats what ST and RS mean when it comes to transmission choices. Manual only.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
In order to be a "ST" a car must be equipped with a manual transmission, with no auto in sight.

Ford could change that, but right now thats what ST and RS mean when it comes to transmission choices. Manual only.

Have a hunch it will change...

I agree with [MENTION=5001]Ryan02Stang[/MENTION] Unfortunatly.

Every 'hot' option has been going DCT as an alternative, which allows for broader market space.

I think of the Golf GTI and R, Mini S trim cars, Fiat Abarth, Subaru WRX, Evo Ralli-art to name a few.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I agree with [MENTION=5001]Ryan02Stang[/MENTION] Unfortunatly.

Every 'hot' option has been going DCT as an alternative, which allows for broader market space.

I think of the Golf GTI and R, Mini S trim cars, Fiat Abarth, Subaru WRX, Evo Ralli-art to name a few.

I don't mind a DCT as long as its done right. Not that crappy dry clutch thing Ford hoisted off on the Fiesta and Focus lines.

If the RS had a DCT option, I probably would have bought it.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I'm with Ryan, dropping the Fusion Sport model, and adding Fusion ST with the 3.0EB. That motor is already in the MKZ (Lincoln-ized Fusion), so we know it fits in the chassis. The MKZ has taller gearing, so I'd imagine the Fusion ST would have a quicker ratio.

MAYBE they keep the 2.7EB that's already in the Sport, and add a 6-speed manual and the AWD system from the RS???

All I know is, IF there is a Fusion ST with AWD and a 6-speed manual, [MENTION=4923]The Beast[/MENTION] should just take my money now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info