Looks like the car market may have topped out

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Sales have been climbing since they fell into the cellar in 2009 after the recession was in full force. Now companies, especially imports, are reporting declining sales. Has the market topped out?

GM, Toyota, FCA, Nissan and Honda posted declines in U.S. deliveries in December while Ford advanced and the sales pace remained strong despite falling short of 2016's record.

Ford’s 1.3 percent increase marked its fourth straight monthly gain. GM fell 3.3 percent and FCA US was off as both companies pared back shipments to daily rental companies. Volume dipped 8.3 percent at Toyota Motor Corp., 9.5 percent at Nissan Motor Co. and 7 percent at American Honda, though Nissan and American Honda both set sales records for the year.

The results come in comparison to a robust December a year earlier, when the fifth-highest seasonally adjusted annual sales rate of all time was recorded.

Analysts had forecast that December would mark the 10th monthly drop of 2017 -- despite being the strongest month for raw volume. Annual demand was projected to fall for the first time since 2009 while topping 17 million units for the third straight year and the fifth time in history.

New car sales for December 2017: Winners and losers

Frostopsy

Regular
Oct 27, 2016
Of course it’s topped out. People are leasing like crazy, there’s a glut of decent, used, 3 year old cars out there. The subprime market is also insane. Can’t afford a car? How about a 80 month loan. Eventually you run out of people who need cars.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
I expect to see a FLOOD of used cars in 2018/2019 that is going to make the market very interesting. Especially on new cars because dealers won’t move them as easily like past years.

Tons of off leases and certified used are going to plummet with the glut. Or at least that’s my prediction.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Doesn't something like this always happen every 1-3yrs and then the used car market prices start soaring due to the lack of people buying new cars? I mean, MOST of us on here know buying a new car you're losing a chunk of value on it right off the bat, so what do we do to combat that? We buy a car that's 1-2yrs old that someone else took that blow for us. What if everyone got wise to that and started doing it? Or as mentioned already, the leasing is going nuts as well.

2QuikTA

Addict
May 30, 2011
I mean, MOST of us on here know buying a new car you're losing a chunk of value on it right off the bat, so what do we do to combat that? We buy a car that's 1-2yrs old that someone else took that blow for us. What if everyone got wise to that and started doing it? Or as mentioned already, the leasing is going nuts as well.

Depends on what you buy. One of the reasons we chose a Subaru was for the excellent resale.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Meanwhile I was all but mocked for saying over the last few years that we're at peak car ownership levels now. Lots of pain in store for traditional automakers.

Ford just sent a notice out to it's suppliers stating that they're cancelling the Fusion's re-design. Not delaying it, not replacing it... Just "hey guys, that 2020 redesign isn't happening. kthxbye." We're right back to 2005 with SUVs dominating, manufacturers completely ignoring their sedan offerings and sub-prime loans skyrocketing. If only this had happened before so we could see how it ends! Oh wait...

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Doesn't something like this always happen every 1-3yrs and then the used car market prices start soaring due to the lack of people buying new cars? I mean, MOST of us on here know buying a new car you're losing a chunk of value on it right off the bat, so what do we do to combat that? We buy a car that's 1-2yrs old that someone else took that blow for us. What if everyone got wise to that and started doing it? Or as mentioned already, the leasing is going nuts as well.

But this is a little different in that used cars are going to be super saturated as well.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
It blows my mind that people have car loans for 60+ months. Especially since it seems everyone I know has car A.D.D. and has a new car every 2-3 years. How do you get ahead of the depreciation? I highly doubt they are giving large down payments or have big equity in their trade in.

Then I hear of people with car payments that sound like a mortgage. One that doesn't seem to match their income at least. i'm not talking a $1,200 payment from someone making $250K a year here.

At some point, it just can't work. Wait till it doesn't work on a large scale.

Ford just sent a notice out to it's suppliers stating that they're cancelling the Fusion's re-design. Not delaying it, not replacing it... Just "hey guys, that 2020 redesign isn't happening. kthxbye...

I think I read a few months back that Ford scrapped a replacement chassis for many of their "world" cars. That might be part of that chassis program. I know the Mustang was slated to be on that chassis as well.

But is all that a bad thing? It's not like they don't have an offer in any segment. Other than a midsize pickup. But I think the Ranger is still coming. So can saving money on redesigns and chassis development mean that will be in trouble? Dodge has had the same cars forever and not sure they have a new chassis coming anytime soon either.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I think manufacturers have pushed the limits of affordability with their continuing price increases. I paid $32,000 for my Terminator Cobra new in 2003, for goodness sake. Now $32,000 barely buys you a run of the mill halfway decent ride. What do similar Mustangs sell for now? Northwards of $50K.

v3EJK2p.png

for how much better/safer/more efficient of a car a new mustang is than an old one to an average consumer.

they really aren't too far off.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
v3EJK2p.png

for how much better/safer/more efficient of a car a new mustang is than an old one to an average consumer.

But the cobra was the top of the line car. The GT is $43K+ aready. What will the GT500 cost? Cars are no doubt increasing is price. But you get a lot more too.

It's just hard to justify some of these prices when you remember a $12K Foxbody new. lmao

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
:io: you missed it but that's okay.

if only someone hadn't made the comparison to a mustang we all could have been on the same page.

I get what you were saying. Pricing in 2003 versus today alone is not a fair comparison by itself. But inflation isn't the only reason for the cost increases. Also why I mentioned you get a lot more in these newer vehicles. Back then options were like a bogus stereo upgrade, a/c, and a sunroof. These new cars have so much more to offer.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I get what you were saying. Pricing in 2003 versus today alone is not a fair comparison by itself. But inflation isn't the only reason for the cost increases. Also why I mentioned you get a lot more in these newer vehicles. Back then options were like a bogus stereo upgrade, a/c, and a sunroof. These new cars have so much more to offer.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn

Ya, Agreed. Options and all that stuff. For all newer cars. Gotta pay for those advancements and improvements.

For the record, even with the awesome trade in price and sale price on my GT, I still hated paying that much for it. rofl

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info