The Mazda6 Is Finally Getting A Turbocharger

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
The beloved Mazda6, beautiful and elegantly styled as it is, needed a little more power in its currently generation. The 2.5-liter four-cylinder just didn’t give the car enough grunt. Now, it seems like Mazda’s flagship sedan will finally get some extra love in the form of a turbocharged engine.

Mazda’s keeping the 2.5-liter engine and giving it cylinder deactivation. But it is also bringing the 2.5-liter direct-injected turbocharged engine, which debuted in the CX-9 crossover, over to the 6 lineup.

Mazda didn’t clarify what those power figures would look like, but if the outputs remain the same from the CX-9 (227 horsepower and a truly silly 310 lb-ft of torque) then I’d say we’re in good shape. The naturally aspirated engine had 184 hp on tap. Good, but could be better and now is.

The new, turbocharged Mazda6 will be at the 2017 Los Angeles Auto Show, taking place later this month. We’ll check back with more information then.

I still think the the Mazda6 is the best car in the mid-size segment...250 HP turbo + 6-speed manual :nutz: Plus there's talks of a wagon...:nutz:

Have always considered getting a newer 6, but the lack of power was always a huge turn-off. Glad Mazda is throwing their turbo 4 at it.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I don't think Mazda offers a unique experience anymore. All of the other midsizers have caught up in ride and handling, and offering more power. The 2018 Accord is by far a better driving car now that it has an adaptive suspension and a ballsy 2.0-liter, plus a more usable multimedia system and more interior room.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I don’t feel Mazda has been relevant for years. I had one as a rental on a business trip (can’t remember what model) and it was a large hunk of crap. Super noisy, loud ass engine and horrible interior.

They make 1 good car.... the MX-5. The rest are garbage

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I don't think Mazda offers a unique experience anymore. All of the other midsizers have caught up in ride and handling, and offering more power. The 2018 Accord is by far a better driving car now that it has an adaptive suspension and a ballsy 2.0-liter, plus a more usable multimedia system and more interior room.

Do you know if Mazda was planning any mid-cycle updates/refreshes besides the turbo motor?

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
My buddy has a '16 Mazda 6, and I have always been really impressed by the interior fit and finish, the infortainment, the ride, and honestly the motor felt like it was making more power than the 180HP or whatever it was rated at.

Whenever the new turbo motor comes out, I'm going to have to drive a manual Accord and Mazda 6 back to back. Probably will have to throw the Fusion Sport in the mix, even though it doesn't have a manual.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
yes, but the 3 was supposedly not cranked up that much. ~263hp.

but either way, its wrong, its not finally getting a turbo, it finally getting one BACK. :h5:

Well, maybe there's still hope for a Mazdaspeed version...I doubt it though. We'll see what they do with the turbo version as far as suspension, appearance, and features. I do like the Touring level...has just about everything I'd want, except for the headlights, moonroof, and radar cruise control. But if I had to pick, I'd choose the manual over those options, but maybe the turbo version will allow those options into the manual :dunno:

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I forgot Mazda was even making cars. Haven't seen one on the road in ages!

They had some cool cars back in the day!

Just for shits and giggles, counted the number of <3 year old Mazda's I saw on my way home last night. Stopped counting after a dozen (it was getting too dark). I have a pretty short drive mostly on Lake Ave and Milwaukee. But I was seeing CX-3's, a CX-9, a couple Mazda6's, and a bunch of Mazda3's.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Just for shits and giggles, counted the number of <3 year old Mazda's I saw on my way home last night. Stopped counting after a dozen (it was getting too dark). I have a pretty short drive mostly on Lake Ave and Milwaukee. But I was seeing CX-3's, a CX-9, a couple Mazda6's, and a bunch of Mazda3's.

I'll count on my way home today!

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
They're out there, just have to keep an eye out for them. I've always thought the current generation Mazda6 was very handsome and had really nice proportions, so those always stand out to me. They are getting a little stale, and could use a bit of an update/refresh.

I only see older ones on the road. I really wasn't joking when I said I can't even remember seeing a newer one on the road.

My buddy had a Mazdaspeed 6, I think maybe a 2005....thing was a fun as hell daily driver back in the day.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I only see older ones on the road. I really wasn't joking when I said I can't even remember seeing a newer one on the road.

My buddy had a Mazdaspeed 6, I think maybe a 2005....thing was a fun as hell daily driver back in the day.

How many engine/trans has he gone through :hsughlol:

But seriously, those Mazdaspeed 6's were awesome on paper, but I've heard nothing but horror stories about the drivetrain.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info