Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Sounds like a fucking powerwheels flying around the track :rofl:. Car looks ridiculously fast.....and its built in China :eek3:

With a Nordschleife time of 6:45, the all-electric EP9 is now the fastest street-legal car to ever lap the 'Ring.

1360-horsepower EP9 is street-legal, whether it can be considered a production car is up for debate. Only seven examples have been built so far, each carrying a price tag of around $1.48 million. NIO told us that the EP9 is not street-legal in the US as of now, but the firm is working on homologating the car for our streets.

9MVsC2F.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcepG9Twa_8

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I don't even know why people are buying anything other than electric cars. They are more efficient, better for the environment, and all around better performers.

Because infrastructure and ease of use in daily life isn't to the same level as the tried and true internal combustion engine.

Gas stations, usually multiple are on every corner, a few bucks will give you instant results and you're on your way. Electric, you have a range that limits you, charging places aren't on every corner, and you can't charge it sufficiently in the same 5 minutes it takes to put $20 of gas in.

I seriously considered a Volt a couple years ago, not because I'm an environmental steward, quite the opposite actually, but because I hate paying (At the time), $4/gallon for gas. The problem is, I would need to have to pay for a special setup to be installed in my house to charge the damn thing, I'm limited in my miles, which I actually would be very close to pushing on a daily basis, and then at work, if I decided to charge, I have to go find one of the six spots that this place has installed for EL vehicles. Yes, I know there were a ton of Federal and State rebates to help offset that cost, but still...

It's just too much of a hassle at this point in time. If it had a very large range (even well beyond Tesla's current range), and then I could get a full 100% charge in less than 10 minutes and it was reasonably affordable for all this, I'd be all over it, but we haven't gotten there yet.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Not to derail this thread with another electric car vs gas topic but in response to the above you do not have to pay to have anything installed in your garage to charge your volt.

If you so choose you can upgrade to lvl 2 charging. I use their standard supplied cord and currently have gone 450 miles this tank and used 2.5 gallons. I drive 80 miles a day and charge when available when I'm out then all night while sleeping.

Then on gas I get 42-46 mpgs in the summer just like a standard eco gas car

Your comments are invalid excuses for not buying one

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Not to derail this thread with another electric car vs gas topic but in response to the above you do not have to pay to have anything installed in your garage to charge your volt.

If you so choose you can upgrade to lvl 2 charging. I use their standard supplied cord and currently have gone 450 miles this tank and used 2.5 gallons. I drive 80 miles a day and charge when available when I'm out then all night while sleeping.

Then on gas I get 42-46 mpgs in the summer just like a standard eco gas car

Your comments are invalid excuses for not buying one

1) Chevrolet Volt's range is 53 miles on all electric/battery. Could be some tolerance above and below, I get that... The way I drive, my real range would be about 20 miles! Anyway, those numbers are straight from Chevrolet.com They are NOT my made up numbers. When I looked into this several years ago, it was with the previous generation Volt which had less range than the 53. Wasn't is somewhere in the mid 40's?

from Chevrolet.com;
Offering up to 53 pure electric miles

2) My current round trip commute is 46 miles (Elgin to Batavia, Batavia back to Hoffman Estates, Hoffman Estates back to Elgin). So like I said, 1st Gen Volt, I would be at or OVER the limit and have to resort to gas again (not that it would use a lot mind you). 2nd Gen, I'd be pushing it. I am currently looking for another job. Any other job that I get and I would have to drive to would only ADD to that and again, most likely push me well out of the range.

3) When I looked into this a couple years back, there was a charge for the 240 volt setup in my home, by an electrician. I don't know what to tell you.

4) The current charge rate, just using your standard 120volt is 13 hours! If you get the 240, that is cut to 4.5 hours. These numbers are straight from Chevrolet.com. 13 hours is fine for overnight charging. But not for real daily use outside of using it purely as a commuter vehicle.

So this vehicle does NOT fit the bill for me right now. It is pushing it's range limits, takes 13 hours to charge at the most using a regular 120 volts.

When it's got a 500 mile battery range, I can charge it to full in 5 - 10 minutes like I can quickly dump $20 into the gas tank, and the vehicle itself is fairly priced for the average person to afford, I'll be interested. It's not making excuses. It's looking at what I drive daily and going, ahh shit, this won't really work.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I use Fuelly when I want to find out what the average fuel economy is for a car. Usually there is a nice bellcurve.

But for the VOLT is failing me. And I can only assume this is because some people probably buy the car and NEVER plug it in to charge it.

And others probably live close enough to work that it never fires up the gas engine. So it leads to a funky graph.

Chevrolet Volt MPG - Actual MPG from 458 Chevrolet Volt owners

If you look at the Corvette, its got a semi-bellcurve to it.

Chevrolet Corvette MPG - Actual MPG from 500 Chevrolet Corvette owners

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Tesla has pioneered this technology and everyone is just copying at this point. Tesla is rumored to have a new roadster/sports car coming out in the next several years, and I would bet it goes down in history as the most revolutionary automobile of all time.

pioneer? you can find all electric cars going back over 100 years.

tesla just did a good job at it and built it for a demographic that could work: fairly wealthy people. luxury car around luxury drivetrain.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
1) Chevrolet Volt's range is 53 miles on all electric/battery. Could be some tolerance above and below, I get that... The way I drive, my real range would be about 20 miles! Anyway, those numbers are straight from Chevrolet.com They are NOT my made up numbers. When I looked into this several years ago, it was with the previous generation Volt which had less range than the 53. Wasn't is somewhere in the mid 40's?

2) My current round trip commute is 46 miles (Elgin to Batavia, Batavia back to Hoffman Estates, Hoffman Estates back to Elgin). So like I said, 1st Gen Volt, I would be at or OVER the limit and have to resort to gas again (not that it would use a lot mind you). 2nd Gen, I'd be pushing it. I am currently looking for another job. Any other job that I get and I would have to drive to would only ADD to that and again, most likely push me well out of the range.

3) When I looked into this a couple years back, there was a charge for the 240 volt setup in my home, by an electrician. I don't know what to tell you.

4) The current charge rate, just using your standard 120volt is 13 hours! If you get the 240, that is cut to 4.5 hours. These numbers are straight from Chevrolet.com. 13 hours is fine for overnight charging. But not for real daily use outside of using it purely as a commuter vehicle.

So this vehicle does NOT fit the bill for me right now. It is pushing it's range limits, takes 13 hours to charge at the most using a regular 120 volts.

When it's got a 500 mile battery range, I can charge it to full in 5 - 10 minutes like I can quickly dump $20 into the gas tank, and the vehicle itself is fairly priced for the average person to afford, I'll be interested. It's not making excuses. It's looking at what I drive daily and going, ahh shit, this won't really work.

So right now you pay all gas for 46 miles round trip. Today I got 43 for a full charge doing hwy driving. Plus all your driving and errands on the weekend that I do totally gas free.

But you think paying for 3 miles of gas vs 46 miles currently is a bad deal daily.

Got it

I drive more than you and consistently get 700-800 per tank. Which is only 8 gallons. I'll just be over here enjoying my mileage

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
What part about;

(not that it would use a lot mind you)

Did you not see?

Yes, it will use a lot less gas. Got it. Not arguing. But my Suburban has been paid off for, oh, 12 years now, I fill up once every couple of weeks, and I don't waste time with a plug running out to it charging it overnight just to use it.

It isn't USER FRIENDLY at this point in time. Put the key in, it runs until the tank is empty, go to gas station, in 5 - 10 minutes tank is full, repeat process.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info