Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Mazda's next-gen SkyActiv engines will drop spark plugs in favor of high compression - Autoblog

Homogeneous charge compression ignition, or HCCI, is the black art of of internal combustion engines that aims to produce diesel-like fuel efficiency for the cost of gasoline. Although some of its competitors have developed and subsequently given up on the tech, Mazda confirmed that the next-generation of SkyActiv engines will employ HCCI technology, improving fuel economy by 30 percent and at the same time reducing exhaust emissions.

According to Nikkei, a new SkyActiv family of engines is set to debut under the hood of the next-gen Mazda3 sometime in 2018 before making its way into other vehicles. In simple terms, an engine that uses HCCI burns the air/fuel mix using pressure instead of with spark plugs, just like a diesel. At 14:1, Mazda's gasoline engines already have some of the highest compression ratios out there, but a move to HCCI means cranking up the compression to 18:1.

While the tech sounds relatively straightforward, using HCCI means dealing with a number of side issues. It's one of those "on paper" ideas that compounds problems when put into practice. Heat, revs, and fuel must all be carefully managed as gasoline doesn't burn the same way as diesel. Mazda is mum on details, but the automaker seems confident that the issues have been sorted. If the new engines do indeed make it to market with HCCI, Mazda will have out-engineered GM, Daimler, and Hyundai, all of which have tried and failed to develop HCCI engines in a cost-effective package.

With the market moving towards electrification, it's interesting to see Mazda still focusing so heavily on traditional internal combustion gasoline engines. It's an indication of where they see the market heading for the next few years. Although the automaker has been hesitant to move forward with hybrid and electric powertrains, Nikkei also reports that Mazda will begin mass production of EVs in 2019.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
5a5e98e4d01bfda3c731fd2e7539a037.jpg
d195519b23085446689d524729b0aa55.jpg

I'm a big fan and my wife loves the car and the AWD works really well.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
omg those white seats would drive me insane. one spec of dirt, and id lose my mind.

It's a chore all right..... I found a leather serum/sealant from Chemicals Guys and so far so good. The biggest thing are jeans bleeding onto seats. With the leather product all you have to do is a warm damp microfiber cloth and wipe down seats and works really well.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
So the current DI skyactiv motors are very mid range torquey motors vs high rpm screamers. They also really wake up with a tune and cams/headers as the ND miata's are getting 30 hp and a 25 torque throughout the power band.

Excited for this as my next car will be a Mazda in like 4-5 years when my 2012 is either a track car or dead ;)

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Anyone know the potential longevity of an engine that uses gas and HCCI?

Will they last like diesels or will the extra heat and compression cause failures after 100K miles?

Depends on construction. If they pull an 80's GM, and don't build the motors to cope with the added stress, then yes, they'll be crap. But my guess is Mazda has done their homework. But with the advances in sensor technology, engine parameters can be constantly adjusted to make sure proper ignition is happening, and advancing or retarding injection depending on load and condition.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info