Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 First Drive – Review – Car and Driver

FtrOVyO.jpg

Imagine a Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat that can corner, a Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 with an additional 124 horsepower, and a BMW M4 with great steering. The Camaro ZL1 is all of these things and more.

With the 2017 Camaro ZL1, Chevrolet mixed its most raucous, most capable hardware into a monster of a car at a bargain price. More tire and less weight make it into a true track-day special, but it’s simultaneously a car that you can live with every day and hustle on any stretch of pavement. The ZL1 is even greater than the sum of its special parts, and we wouldn’t change a thing.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Autoblog. Seems a bit more honest.

Are you not entertained? | 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 First Drive - Autoblog

This is not a perfect car, however. The trunk is puny, some of the instrumentation is nonsensical, and the center stack screen is angled downward, making it tough for the driver to see it. The highlight of the interior is the optional Recaro front chairs that are ideally shaped for both comfort and hero work.

Beyond that, the electric power steering feels heavy and occasionally ponderous. And while overall traction is good, the front tires don't always respond with the immediacy that would result in excellent initial turn-in. And while this ZL1 is lighter than the fifth-generation Camaro, it still comes in only a few bacon strips short of two tons in overall weight. Physics can only do so much with that mass.

Prices for the new ZL1 coupe start at $63,435 including a $1,300 gas-guzzler penalty. That's not cheap, but this is the most fully realized, better performing muscle car around. A convertible model is available as well, for an extra seven grand.

The 2017 Chevrolet ZL1 is 70 horsepower more powerful than the last ZL1, and all those extra ponies want to entertain you. So be entertained.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
must admit this is a badass car for the price point. look at the hp gap between this and the hellcat then look at the price difference. impresses the hell out of me GM isnt trying to get 5th gen z28 money for it ie. 75k

i wonder if this car is going to make some hellcat owners regret their purchase?

wheres the hellpig comparison vs this?

this vs the gt350 is a damn hard choice. not much price gap if any and the gt350 engine is exclusive but as mentioned this makes way more hp.

no matter what comarisons will be made im sure those comments will get blasted so fire away. :chair:

fpc engine vs boosted

hp king dodge vs cheaper 6th gen

yes of course its not apples to apples here but it still makes the decisions pretty difficult which to choose.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
How many reviewers are going to complain about the center stack screen being angled down before GM tells them it was because if it wasnt, the glare would be so bad you wouldnt be able to read it?? This is frustrating. This is almost every single review of the 6th gen, someone mentions it. I wonder how bad they would cry about glare otherwise. I personally think its no big deal.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
How many reviewers are going to complain about the center stack screen being angled down before GM tells them it was because if it wasnt, the glare would be so bad you wouldnt be able to read it?? This is frustrating. This is almost every single review of the 6th gen, someone mentions it. I wonder how bad they would cry about glare otherwise. I personally think its no big deal.

I have never been in one, so I don't know how bad it is. But, it sounds like they need to re-design it if the options are either a terrible glare or not facing the driver.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Drag Radials don't equal stock.

Lol you right accept for.....

Factory Stock Dodge Challenger Hellcat Runs a 10-Second 1/4-mile - Torque News

gustafson_1099_tire.jpg

In case you missed our piece last week, a Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat owned and driven by Jay Gustafson was able to run an 11.08 ¼ mile time at Cecil County Dragstrip last weekend in 100% stock form, including the stock Pirelli tires. That was the first proof of an 11.0 run that I had seen, presumably making Jay’s Challenger the quickest factory stock Hellcat car in the world.

Shortly after publishing that piece, a Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat owner named Patrick Lannoo came forward with proof of his stock-tire super sedan running an 11.07 – making his Hellcat car the quickest on record on 100% stock form.
Well, not to be outdone, Jay Gustafson and his Plum Crazy Hellcat Challenger headed back to the track this weekend with the hopes of taking advantage of the cool air to be the first into the 10-second range in fully stock form…and he did just that.
Stock 10s in a Hellcat Challenger

We feature a great many Dodge Hellcat Challengers and Chargers here on TorqueNews that run incredible ¼ mile times, but in almost every other case – those cars have been modified in some way. Even if only something as simple as stickier tires and a stronger driveshaft has been added, all of the Hellcat cars that we have featured which have run at least a 10-second ¼ mile have had some component that did not come off of the assembly line.

Until now.

When Jay Gustafson ran his 11.08 at Cecil two Saturdays ago, he knew that the track would be open at least one more Saturday and he believed very strongly that he could get into the 10s with the stock tires. He told me that when we spoke about his 11.08 run, so when he went to the track this past weekend, he kept me posted on how the day was going.
When one of his early runs yielded an 11.03, he sent me a picture of the timeslip and reiterated that he expected to get into the 10s, but when he wrote me again an hour or so later with a picture of an 11.02 slip, he was concerned that his stock tires might only have a run or two left in them. He was also concerned that his aging tires and the cold weather might team up to prevent him from getting into the 10s, but another hour later, the message that I had been hoping for came through. Jay had gotten his 10-second run with a fully stock Hellcat Challenger.
To be exact, Jay Gustafson ran a 10.997 at 128.87 miles per hour – pulling a 1.80 60-foot time and at the 1/8 mile, he ran a 7.188 at 101.90 miles per hour.
The image above shows one of the rear tires from the record-setting Hellcat Challenger with a few pounds of rubber caked to the quarter panel.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

1 guy runs 10's in good air and they are all 10 second cars stock? The article even admitted that it usually takes mods to hit 10's in a hellcat.

The ZL1 that was tested was quicker than the last instrumented test of the Hellcat. I guess we will see once the ZL1's hit the track with private owners. One things for sure, the ZL1 is a better overall performance car. Look at those track numbers. Very impressive. I'm a Ford fanboy, but GM has impressed me with the new Camaro.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
1 guy runs 10's in good air and they are all 10 second cars stock? The article even admitted that it usually takes mods to hit 10's in a hellcat.

The ZL1 that was tested was quicker than the last instrumented test of the Hellcat. I guess we will see once the ZL1's hit the track with private owners. One things for sure, the ZL1 is a better overall performance car. Look at those track numbers. Very impressive. I'm a Ford fanboy, but GM has impressed me with the new Camaro.

A ten is a ten. You implied it wasn't possible without a drag radial. Turns out it is. Yeah it's takes the right driver in mineshaft air, but it's obviously possible. And with a simple tire change, even normal drivers can run 10s. That's impressive and I still don't think the zl1 will be able to match.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
A ten is a ten. You implied it wasn't possible without a drag radial. Turns out it is. Yeah it's takes the right driver in mineshaft air, but it's obviously possible. And with a simple tire change, even normal drivers can run 10s. That's impressive and I still don't think the zl1 will be able to match.

there will absolutely, be a zl1 that goes 10's on drag radials without anything else changed, once enthusiasts get a hold of them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info