Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Diesel-powered Ford F-150 caught completely undisguised - Autoblog

Ford is preparing a refresh for the F-150 in 2018, and topping the list of new features will be an optional diesel engine. While we've seen a diesel F-150 testing before now, our spy photographer has caught a completely undisguised test vehicle with both the hood and fuel door open.

The engine bay appears to be a tangle of hoses and wires, while the fuel door obviously shows a green diesel inlet. Inside, a placard on the dashboard reads "Diesel Fuel Only!". It also says that the truck will have auto stop/start, though it doesn't appear the system is functioning in this truck. The truck also appears to have a unique exhaust tip.

The rumor is that the new 3.0-liter V6 diesel engine comes courtesy of Jaguar Land Rover. The photos here reveal a diesel-powered Land Rover Range Rover Sport following the diesel Ford, further cementing the validity of this rumor. In the Range Rover, this engine makes 254 horsepower and 440 lb-ft of torque. That's slightly more than the 240 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque made by the Ram EcoDiesel.

As you can see in the photos, a blurry, phantom-like engineer is working away under the hood. Our photographer said a wiring problem sidelined the truck, meaning Ford still has some kinks to work out before the engine is ready. Expect a full reveal within the next few months.

bfkQeiV.jpg

AZEkhz1.jpg

fdKY9Gd.jpg

nVlrJpf.jpg

I lack a lot of diesel knowledge. But I've always worked with F150's and this excites me, even though I won't be able to afford it.

I drove a 6.0 powerstroke at my first real job. Imagine stepping out of your 2dr focus hatch and into something four times the cost and size. I learned pretty quick, mind you. But the idea of having a diesel package in a short bed truck does it for me.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Hope they follow what GM did with the 1500HD. Where the 1500HD had beefed up suspension and cosmetic changes to set it apart from the 1500.

I would think there would be a good market for this truck.

i dont think there is a market for that anymore.

not with 1500's having the capabilities that they do now.

a new 1500 gm/ford/dodedge have much more capability than an old 1500hd, while getting much better fuel economy.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
it will be interesting where this is slotted though, one would almost think it'd take away from ecoboost sales... but a whole bunch of marketing people saw a need for it im guessing...

Yeah, sort of weird, because Ford has been pimping the Ecoboost, and saying there was no need for a diesel because the Ecoboost handles that mileage (which it doesn't)

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
Yeah, sort of weird, because Ford has been pimping the Ecoboost, and saying there was no need for a diesel because the Ecoboost handles that mileage (which it doesn't)

Marketing is a magical thing! You think Chevy isn't going to add more aluminum to their trucks? Their commercials sure as shit ain't gonna stop them from making advances to keep up with competition.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info