New Tesla Battery = 2.5 0-60 Times...

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
...and greater, 315 mile range.

Win/win for Tesla. The S P100D price gets raised $20,000 t0 $134,500.

Tesla SUV also gets a .3 second bump to 2.9 seconds 0-60.

If you're the sort of person who's chronically late, Tesla has some amazing news. The automaker has unveiled a 100 kWh battery pack that could really speed up your morning commute--if it weren't for all the stop-and-go traffic, that is.

The new battery is being offered on performance models of the Model S sedan and the Model X crossover (i.e. the versions with "Ludicrous" driving mode). Previously, the Model S P90D was able to hit 60 miles per hour in 2.8 seconds, but move over, pokey, because the P100D gets there in 2.5 seconds.

According to Tesla, the new battery pack makes the Model S P100D the third-fastest accelerating model ever made--and because the other two were limited-run supercars, the Model S is the fastest production vehicle on the planet. Also, unlike the LaFerrari and the Porsche 918 Spyder, you can actually carry stuff in the Model S.

The Model X was already the quickest SUV on Planet Earth, and now, it's even quicker. The Model X P90D hit 60 in 3.2 seconds, but with the 100 kWh battery pack, it can get there 0.3 seconds faster.

Tesla Model S can now do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, Model X in 2.9 seconds - The Washington Post

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
10k if you've yet to take delivery. 20k otherwise.

I'm more interested in seeing what the non-performance cars put down for range. The 90D is as fast as the old P85 and gets 294 miles of range but the P90D only got 274 miles of range. So theoretically the 100D should have even more range than that P100D while still being stupid fast. I'm assuming they'll release it with 335ish miles and that will be huge. That would be a full 70 miles of range over the original 85kwh cars.

Combine that with the faster charging times of the newer cars and it's road trip capabilities are significantly better than my lowly 85

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
Mike highlighted one of the other big announcements. Tesla was the first manufacturer to get to the 300 mile range, which seemed like the industries next big goal that all electric car manufacturers were shooting for.

From what I read, Elon also explained they have taken battery technology as far as they could. So there needs to be a revolutionary way to make batteries to keep pushing forward.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I think he actually said that they're approaching the limits of what they can do with that specific battery casing and cell size. Everyone on the forums speculated that the P100D would likely be a physically larger battery but what Tesla actually did was re-arrange the way they're laid out in the case so that they can get more of them in there. That, combined with improved chemistry, is what is responsible for the bump in range.

So the solution is either going to be different size cells, which I believe is what they're aiming for with the giga-factory or a larger battery sled.

But I think this is pretty substantial. Battery technology is advancing at about the rate he told us he thought it would.

Truly the breakthrough wouldn't be in capacity any longer. I think for most, 300 real miles is just fine. The next breakthrough needs to be in charging speed. If we can get it so that we can add a real 150 miles of range in 10 minutes that's going to be a game changer. And that's on the slower side of what they're saying will be possible.

The inconvenience of supercharging becomes a much more trivial issue if you limit the amount of time it takes to do so. Plus you can reduce the cost per vehicle by not having to add expensive batteries.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Tesla (the scientist) supposedly had a way to charge the earth and have anybody gain access to free electricity by sticking a metal rod into the ground.

Surprisingly, that idea was quashed. No way to charge people.

It was also wildly inefficient and required ugly towers that would transmit less electricity the further away from them you were. Oh and then there's the fact that there would be lightning over your head at all times. LIGHTNING. :rofl:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
First atomic bomb didn't work either.

More surprisingly, the same apparatus might have been used to transmit sound waves or communications. Instead, investors (1%ers of the time) went with the safer, and easily profitable, telegraph. We might have had wireless transmission of data in the early 1900s.

You can see where the "Tesla" name fits the car company. Kudos to Musk.

https://www.damninteresting.com/teslas-tower-of-power/

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
If electric cars suddenly became as convenient to recharge like filling a gas tank then we'd see a spike in energy costs, as well as the cost to install the higher voltage/amp services in regular households.

It's already happening. The thing is, much like high speed internet, it's adopted over time so there's not this immediate change in infrastructure.

It will happen. People think capacity is the game changer but honestly I think we're there for capacity. 300 miles is enough. True fast charging is going to be the game changer.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Tesla (the scientist) supposedly had a way to charge the earth and have anybody gain access to free electricity by sticking a metal rod into the ground.

Surprisingly, that idea was quashed. No way to charge people.

just like we don't charge people today for all dat phone and internet we get through the air?

the idea died because it didn't work. conspiracy theorists just come up with other reasons why it died but still wasn't resurrected 100 years later.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
It's already happening. The thing is, much like high speed internet, it's adopted over time so there's not this immediate change in infrastructure.

It will happen. People think capacity is the game changer but honestly I think we're there for capacity. 300 miles is enough. True fast charging is going to be the game changer.

I agree with this. Most people never drive over 300 miles in one continuous stretch. People need to stop every now and then to eat, use the restroom, stretch the legs out, etc.

I can envision a day where every gas station has at least 1 "fast" charger. Unlike superchargers, the gas stations can charge for this convenience albeit much less than gasoline.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
OK, Edison.

you know it's not like in 2016 and with this thing called "the internet" available you can't spend 5 seconds to go figure this out yourself. next you'll be telling me how you've found a great video on youtube of a car that only runs on water but big oil keeps killing people who have these cars before they can get the word out on how they work.

as we have chat many times before, capacity never was the game changer, it's the red herring. charging is the problem. capacity can be too, but if you have enough money you can buy yourself out of that one.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
you know it's not like in 2016 and with this thing called "the internet" available you can't spend 5 seconds to go figure this out yourself. next you'll be telling me how you've found a great video on youtube of a car that only runs on water but big oil keeps killing people who have these cars before they can get the word out on how they work.

What? You been watching "That 70s Show"? 54 years of experiencing and watching society beats what? 30 years, I assume? Your inexperience shows at times.

as we have chat many times before, capacity never was the game changer, it's the red herring. charging is the problem. capacity can be too, but if you have enough money you can buy yourself out of that one.

So, investors could, theoretically, not back a method that might not be profitable compared to a slower method that would be easy to charge for? Ever hear of Beta and VCR? Beta was the better machine. Did you have one? Oops, you're only around 30 so maybe not.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
What? You been watching "That 70s Show"? 54 years of experiencing and watching society beats what? 30 years, I assume? Your inexperience shows at times.

a child that knows how to think and can research things on the internet can disprove a countless amount of conspiracies adults believe.

So, investors could, theoretically, not back a method that might not be profitable compared to a slower method that would be easy to charge for? Ever hear of Beta and VCR? Beta was the better machine. Did you have one? Oops, you're only around 30 so maybe not.

my comment is in regards to wealthy people being able to buy themselves out of a capacity problem because a large amount of expensive batteries can be purchased with their wealth. in the context of that, i have entirely no idea what your comment means. if i try to misread my comment another way i still can't make sense of yours.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
a child that knows how to think and can research things on the internet can disprove a countless amount of conspiracies adults believe.

my comment is in regards to wealthy people being able to buy themselves out of a capacity problem because a large amount of expensive batteries can be purchased with their wealth. in the context of that, i have entirely no idea what your comment means. if i try to misread my comment another way i still can't make sense of yours.

Ha! I was right in my age estimation.

Be clearer about what you mean, then. Your statement is open to a lot of interpretations. Using this one, you're saying poor people should just sit at home in the electric battery age? Cruel.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Yes, because that would allow charging over lunch while on a road trip.

That already exists.

I agree with this. Most people never drive over 300 miles in one continuous stretch. People need to stop every now and then to eat, use the restroom, stretch the legs out, etc.

I can envision a day where every gas station has at least 1 "fast" charger. Unlike superchargers, the gas stations can charge for this convenience albeit much less than gasoline.

That's actually already happening. Last month it was leaked that Tesla was in talks with an eastern seaboard gas station chain about installing superchargers at their stations. Like gas, they likely wouldn't make money and would rely on the sale of convenience goods. That's basically how the gas station model works now.

In my defense, you go off on diatribes so long I sometimes don't bother reading them because of the length. Ironic that I of all people is saying this but you could tell me that we've chatted about their batteries exploding and taking out litters of kittens and you might very well be right but hell if I would remember. :rofl:

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013

One thing that's got me worried is the local charger is a mandatory stop for most, especially in the winter, has 6 stalls and is always full during daylight hours. 1-2 spots are also usually occupied by regular ICE vehicles too. Once the 3 comes out its going to be terrible.

We just went on a 3500 mile trip. Cruising range was around 500 miles a tank. We never drained a tank without a stop in the middle of a tank. Those stops were usually 10 minutes or less though, not 30-40 minutes. Stopping every 250 miles or so for 40 minutes would have sucked.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info