Infiniti Introduces the First Production Engine With Variable Compression

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Nissan's Infiniti division will present its first Variable Compression-Turbocharged (VC-T) engine at the Paris Motor Show next month. This technology took them more than two decades to perfect, and the result is a high performance engine offering that claims to offer vastly increased fuel efficiency as well.

Here's how it works...

gallery-1471264843-infiniti-vc-t-tech-jpg-4k.jpg

As you can see, by changing the stroke length, the engine can infinitely vary its compression ratio between 8:1 and 14:1. When the engine's control logic electronics think you need more power, the actuator arm works on a control shaft to change the position of a multi-link pivoting around the connecting rod's main bearing, lowering the piston in the cylinder. This decreases the compression ratio, allowing the turbocharger to produce more boost without the risk of pinging or detonation. But when you're just cruising in top gear, the system will do the exact opposite, going for the highest possible compression to improve fuel mileage. The engine's electronic valve timing and port-plus-direct fuel injection allow it to switch between normal and Atkinson cycle operation on the fly.

Infiniti claims the technology gives the engine "the torque and efficiency of an advanced turbodiesel—without the equivalent emissions," though exact power figures for the 2.0-liter VC-T have not been released. From the outside, this variable-compression engine just looks like a normal four-cylinder with a turbo.

Some of you might remember that Saab was also experimenting with variable compression engines back in the early 2000s.Saab's idea was an engine with a two-part block that could squeeze the cylinder head closer to the block using a hydraulic actuator to increase compression. The SVC project was shelved once GM took over Saab, making the Infiniti VC-T the first production car engine with variable compression.

Super interesting...hopefully it can hold up to consumer DD duty...

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I am not sure why they aren't working on electric cars where those motors have fewer moving parts.

True, but adoption of EV's is still going to be relatively low in 10 years. Technology pushing the internal combustion engine is needed to keep up with emissions and economy standards pushed by the Government over the last few years.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Awesome stuff. I bet it's even better when paired with a turbocharger. Higher compression at lower rpm means less lag and better fuel economy.

Hope to see this same tech on the R36 GTR

Was just thinking the same thing. If this tech isn't junk, it could be very useful in performance applications. Although it would seem that auto companies are embracing electric motors as a fill for turbo lag and drive ability issues.

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
Was just thinking the same thing. If this tech isn't junk, it could be very useful in performance applications. Although it would seem that auto companies are embracing electric motors as a fill for turbo lag and drive ability issues.

Are those electric spooled turbos on any production vehicles yet? I feel like I've heard rumors and seen prototypes of this stuff for the last 10 years but still no results. Luckily its already been proven in F1

FGr01Dp.jpg

I still don't get why the industry abandoned sequential turbos like the last of the supras and rx7's had. Seemed like the best of both worlds, albeit more complex and hard to tune. Then there's those variable vane turbos that Porsche uses too...

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Interesting concept, I like they are pushing the envelope. But that's a lot more mechanical parts. I am not sure why they aren't working on electric cars where those motors have fewer moving parts.

because ICE has room to grow and EVs take 20+ min to charge

Are those electric spooled turbos on any production vehicles yet? I feel like I've heard rumors and seen prototypes of this stuff for the last 10 years but still no results. Luckily its already been proven in F1

a chunk of frs/brz guys set those up. i thought they were going to be on a bmw or someone else's production car by now already too.

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
took me a while to realize what exactly is going on. The thing that threw me off most is that the crankshaft is at a different position in both the pictures. I can't tell if this was done just to exaggerate the gap that shows the compression ratio difference or if TDC will now occur at a different crank angle.

more pictures and vid showing the same idea

captionWithImageB01_pic_02.jpg

6a00d8341c4fbe53ef01b8d210d40e970c-550wi

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIWYoWvyE4s

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info