Tesla's Press Release

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
First it was this post;

Model S owner claims Tesla forced him to keep defect quiet - Autoblog

and then this response. I really want to work at Tesla. A company that understands data.

Tesla said:
Press Release

A Grain of Salt
The Tesla Team June 9, 2016

A few things need to be cleared up about the supposed safety of Model S suspensions:

First, there is no safety defect with the suspensions in either the Model S or Model X. Since we own all of our service centers, we are aware of every incident that happens with our customer cars and we are aware of every part that gets replaced. Whenever there is even a potential issue with one of those parts, we investigate fully. This, combined with extensive durability testing, gives us high confidence in our suspensions. With respect to the car that is discussed in the blog post that led to yesterday's news (more on the blog post below), the suspension ball joint experienced very abnormal rust. We haven't seen this on any other car, suggesting a very unusual use case. The car had over 70,000 miles on it and its owner lives down such a long dirt road that it required two tow trucks to retrieve the car. (One to get the car to the highway and one to get it from the highway to the service center.) When we got the car, it was caked in dirt.

Second, NHTSA has not opened any investigation nor has it even started a "preliminary evaluation," which is the lowest form of formal investigatory work that it does. On April 20th, as part of what it has told us it considers "routine screening," NHTSA informally asked us to provide information about our suspensions. On April 30th, we provided all relevant information to NHTSA. NHTSA has since told us that we have cooperated fully and that no further information is needed. Neither before nor after this information was provided has NHTSA identified any safety issue with Tesla's suspensions. This can be confirmed with NHTSA.

Third, Tesla has never and would never ask a customer to sign a document to prevent them from talking to NHTSA or any other government agency. That is preposterous.

When our customers tell us something went wrong with their car, we often cover it even if we find that the problem was not caused by the car and that we therefore have no obligations under the warranty. In these situations, we discount or conduct the repair for free, because we believe in putting our customers' happiness ahead of our own bottom line. When this happens, we sometimes ask our customers to sign a "Goodwill Agreement." The basic point is to ensure that Tesla doesn't do a good deed, only to have that used against us in court for further gain. These situations are very rare, but have sometimes occurred in the past. We will take a look at this situation and will work with NHTSA to see if we can handle it differently, but one thing is clear: this agreement never even comes close to mentioning NHTSA or the government and it has nothing to do with trying to stop someone from communicating with NHTSA or the government about our cars. We have absolutely no desire to do something like that. It is deeply ironic that the only customer who apparently believes that this document prevents him from talking to NHTSA is also the same one who talked to NHTSA. If our agreement was meant to prevent that, it obviously wasn't very good.

Fourth, Tesla's own actions demonstrate just how rigorous we are about bringing issues to NHTSA's attention. Not only do we regularly meet with NHTSA, we have also shown that we won't hesitate to conduct proactive and voluntary recalls even when there is only a slight risk of a safety issue. Most recently, Tesla recalled third row seats in the Model X even though not a single problem had been reported by any customer. Before that, Tesla recalled a front seat belt pretensioner, even though not a single injury had occurred. In both of these situations and others before them, Tesla took these actions before anyone reported a concern to NHTSA. We did them on our own, because it was the right thing to do.

There is no car company in the world that cares more about safety than Tesla and our track record reflects that. The Model S is 5-star safety rated in every category and sub-category and Model X is expected to receive the same rating as soon as the government finishes testing. Recently, a Model S was in a very high speed accident in Germany that caused it to fly 82 feet through the air, an event that would likely be fatal in vehicles not designed to the level of safety of a Tesla. All five occupants were able to exit the vehicle under their own power and had no life-threatening injuries.

Finally, it is worth noting that the blogger who fabricated this issue, which then caused negative and incorrect news to be written about Tesla by reputable institutions, is Edward Niedermayer. This is the same gentle soul who previously wrote a blog titled "Tesla Death Watch," which starting on May 19, 2008 was counting the days until Tesla's death. It has now been 2,944 days. We just checked our pulse and, much to his chagrin, appear to be alive. It is probably wise to take Mr. Niedermayer's words with at least a small grain of salt.

We don't know if Mr. Niedermayer's motivation is simply to set a world record for axe-grinding or whether he or his associates have something financial to gain by negatively affecting Tesla's stock price, but it is important to highlight that there are several billion dollars in short sale bets against Tesla. This means that there is a strong financial incentive to greatly amplify minor issues and to create false issues from whole cloth.

That said, sometimes Tesla does make genuine mistakes. We are not and have never claimed to be perfect. However, we strongly believe in trying to do the right thing and, when we fall short, taking immediate corrective action.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Haven't read the release yet but everyone is taking this with a huge grain of salt. First off, I noticed earlier this year when I was looking at NHTSA complaints there was an inordinate amount of posts about the suspension coming apart. And they all appear to be from the same guy:

2014 TESLA MODEL S | Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

That was odd enough but then someone posted on the forums that their ball joint popped out but provided no further details and no followup when requested. Finally the guy in the thread above made a post and he seems to have an agenda as well. He told us point blank that the the NHTSA said the parts were defective and they were looking for other cars.

When pushed on this, he posted a follow up email from the NHTSA kindly asking him to STFU until they look into it and that they did not say it was defective but that they were looking into. I'll grab a screenshot.

It's all really interesting either way. Much like the bullshit antenna-gate scandal with the iPhone 4, any kind of Tesla failure is huge page views. They will milk this for all they can.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Here's the dude's post and he made this post after confirming several times that the NHTSA guy said the parts were of poor quality.

"I just received this email from Mr. Price. I will not comment on this subject again until the NHTSA finding become final."

Pete, I got this note today. We are looking at this issue but have not made any determination on defect , quality, or premature failure. We do not know the reason for your part failures yet so please keep the information confidential.

Thanks,

Jeffrey M. Price

Defect Investigator

Defects Assessment Division

Office of Defects Investigation

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

NVS-211 Rm 48-218

1200 New Jersey Avenue. SE.

Washington D.C 20590

Phone - 202-366-5410

Fax - 202-366-1767

Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 4:19 PM
To: Price, Jeffrey (NHTSA)
Subject: Concerning an on-going investigation NHTSA ID# 10862066

Mr. Price,

A Mr. Pete Cordaro has stated that the NHTSA determined that the ball-joints on his 2013 Tesla Model S were of poor quality, and failed prematurely. I would request some elucidation on this subject, since many fraudulent claims have been made concerning the suspension issues on the Model S.

Specifically, do you agree with Mr. Cordaro's assessment that you have found the ball-joints to be of poor quality, and do you agree with him stating so in a public forum?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Redacted

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Just read Tesla's response. Fucking a right. I love the confidence with which you can burn people when the truth is on your side. Just like all the jamokes saying that Autopilot crashed their car.

I'm not one for big brother but in the case of Tesla, where so many people have made bogus claims, I totally don't mind that my car is logging my every move.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Just read Tesla's response. Fucking a right. I love the confidence with which you can burn people when the truth is on your side. Just like all the jamokes saying that Autopilot crashed their car.

I'm not one for big brother but in the case of Tesla, where so many people have made bogus claims, I totally don't mind that my car is logging my every move.

Elon Musk could shoot someone in front of Tesla's headquarters and not lose a single fanboy.

Call me a skeptic, but their response has zero data. Plus Tesla has a history of skewing metrics (Sales reporting, Financials, etc.)

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Elon Musk could shoot someone in front of Tesla's headquarters and not lose a single fanboy.

Call me a skeptic, but their response has zero data. Plus Tesla has a history of skewing metrics (Sales reporting, Financials, etc.)

No they don't. And how do you prove a negative? Doesn't the onus of proof still lie on the person making the claim?

balljoint failure at 70k = NHTSA recall? how many ford/GM/chrysler ball joints failed way before then?

Yes, by this metric every single Charger/ Chrysler 300 should have been off the road at 30,000 miles. :rofl:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
You prove it through data and documentation. That release has no data or documentation to refute the claims. This is an engineering company, they should be able to easily refute a reporter based on data.

Yeah again, I think they did a pretty good job of refuting the claims. The NHTSA complaints are all clearly fake. Go take a look yourself. The guy is taking pictures of salvage cars that have clearly been in serious accidents and pointing out damaged suspension components.

I realize Elon has his fan boys and I'm hard on Tesla for falling short in the details but there's nothing here unless you want there to be something here in which case you're no less biased than the fan boys.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info