BMW Planning Radical Changes

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Driverless vehicles? BMW is going to dedicate half their R+D into driverless vehicles as the future of the company.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...adical-new-future-in-world-of-driverless-cars

After a century building what it calls the "ultimate driving machine," BMW Group is preparing for a world in which its customers will be mere passengers, and the cars will do the driving themselves.

Days before BMW's 100th birthday, Klaus Froehlich, its board member for research and development, described plans for a completely overhauled company, where half the r&d staff will be computer programmers, competing with the likes of Google parent Alphabet to build the brains for self-driving cars.

"For me it is a core competence to have the most intelligent car," Froehlich told Reuters in an interview at the Geneva auto show...

..."In the auto industry the battle will be not for horsepower but bragging rights will be 'my car is more autonomous than your car'," said Manuela Papadopol, director, global marketing automotive for Elektrobit, a software company now owned by Continental.

BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi are each making an effort to build a hub for automotive software and services. They clubbed together to buy digital map maker HERE from Nokia last year to create a neutral platform where smart cars can share data on road and traffic conditions.

BMW's own recent hiring included a 200-strong digital innovation team in Chicago, most of whom had worked for Nokia, the Finnish mobile phone pioneer.

Among the areas Froehlich identified where BMW will still need partners is in cloud computing, the technology of storing data and software remotely and accessing it over the internet. Data gathered from a car's onboard sensors will be combined with remote information, for example about weather and traffic, using next generation mobile networks, also known as 5G.

The ultimate aim would be to build as much expertise in-house as possible, although there could be mutual benefits from working with new outside suppliers.

"The thinking here is: they too have weaknesses and there may be some win win situations," Froehlich said of potential new suppliers. "Nonetheless I need to build our own in-house competence in the next 5 to 6 years."

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
bmw might as well. Every new M car they come out with gets a disappointing review of them being soft and have lost their driver involvement anyway. They might as well drive themselves. Its a good move for them imo.

????? I do not think that's the case. They've definitely dumbed down the normal product offering so that you can no longer just pick anything they sell and expect the best driver's oriented car but the M stuff is still really highly regarded.

I can't recall a recent M car that received a scathing review.

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Jan 1, 2013
Northwest Chicagoland
:fu:
????? I do not think that's the case. They've definitely dumbed down the normal product offering so that you can no longer just pick anything they sell and expect the best driver's oriented car but the M stuff is still really highly regarded.

I can't recall a recent M car that received a scathing review.

The new M2 has been called the reincarnation of the older M3 spirit. It's has gotten quite glowing reviews as it launches here in the States.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
They don't get "bad" reviews, but there's always this disappointed tone that they're not as good as they used to be. They're moving away from what they used to do. BMW wants beat MB which they can't do by building driver's cars with NA motors and manual gearboxes. They're doing the right thing w the robot cars.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
They don't get "bad" reviews, but there's always this disappointed tone that they're not as good as they used to be. They're moving away from what they used to do. BMW wants beat MB which they can't do by building driver's cars with NA motors and manual gearboxes. They're doing the right thing w the robot cars.

The thing is nobody can do it with NA engines any more. Absolutely everyone is going turbo now. Even companies that swore they never would. Look at Ferrari.

In my opinion, things are the same now as they were ten years ago: If you want a cushy fast car you go with AMG. If you want the most capable street/ track car you go with a BMW M. And if you want an over-engineered, understeering piece of shit designed to stay together just as long as it's lease (and not a day more) you go with an S / RS. :rofl:

At the end of the day though people forget that BMW is a company like any other company and they owe it to themselves to make a profit. The only constant is change and if BMW still sold the cars from 10 years ago that people loved they wouldn't sell any cars.

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
The thing is nobody can do it with NA engines any more. Absolutely everyone is going turbo now. Even companies that swore they never would. Look at Ferrari.

In my opinion, things are the same now as they were ten years ago: If you want a cushy fast car you go with AMG. If you want the most capable street/ track car you go with a BMW M. And if you want an over-engineered, understeering piece of shit designed to stay together just as long as it's lease (and not a day more) you go with an S / RS. :rofl:

At the end of the day though people forget that BMW is a company like any other company and they owe it to themselves to make a profit. The only constant is change and if BMW still sold the cars from 10 years ago that people loved they wouldn't sell any cars.
Except for the Americans. If Ford can make a high revving flat plane V8 then there's not reason why BMW can't... Also It's mind boggling that an LT1 Camaro has twice the displacement as a BMW M4 yet they both return the same MPGs

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info