Chrysler to kill off Chrysler 200 and Dodge Dart

Dragonkat

Car Life: It's what we do...24/7
Aug 17, 2012
Kenosha
Dodge Dart, Chrysler 200 to go away under new FCA plan

I knew this would happen, in fact I was telling folks this all last year.

2015 Chrysler 200, why did it fail:

A: Piss Poor 9-Speed Auto ( ZF-designed transmissions are junk )
B: you never, never, never, put a 4-cylinder engine in a mid-size car, the engine choices should've been base V6 with a optional V8
C: no real Sport or SRT version
D: Piss poor marketing

Dodge Dart, why did it fail
A: Dodge was out of the game far too long
B: poor engine choices ( I have the 2.4L tigershark, it's ok, but it could've been better )
C: bad name, no identity in marketplace

It looks like FCA is getting out of the small and mid-sized cars business all together, so the ? is can Chrysler survive with just the 300 and the Pacifica

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
Dodge Dart, Chrysler 200 to go away under new FCA plan

I knew this would happen, in fact I was telling folks this all last year.

2015 Chrysler 200, why did it fail:

A: Piss Poor 9-Speed Auto ( ZF-designed transmissions are junk )
B: you never, never, never, put a 4-cylinder engine in a mid-size car, the engine choices should've been base V6 with a optional V8
C: no real Sport or SRT version
D: Piss poor marketing

Dodge Dart, why did it fail
A: Dodge was out of the game far too long
B: poor engine choices ( I have the 2.4L tigershark, it's ok, but it could've been better )
C: bad name, no identity in marketplace

It looks like FCA is getting out of the small and mid-sized cars business all together, so the ? is can Chrysler survive with just the 300 and the Pacifica
1 - Chrysler is now building problem free 9 speed transmissions in house
2- 4cyl 200s were made to meet company MPG standards - they don't care is you think it's slow
3 - dart has sold quite well and is continuing to grow every year - keep in mind, that's the toughest market to get into, especially if you've been absent - and your company was so unstable in the past and now fiat owns you...
[MENTION=47]SRT41320[/MENTION], this true?
No - dart and 200 will be made in Mexico most likely - Belvidere is supposed to get the Cherokee (from toledo, which will now build the wrangler and wrangler pickup) and sterling heights will build the ram (from Warren plant, which will eventually get the grand wagoneer)

New rumors have surfaced that the ram won't fit in sterling heights and now might move to Belvidere abs the Cherokee will go to sterling heights instead of Belvidere - but that royally fucks up FCAs timeline... so i don't know 100% but supposedly we already gave Cherokee equipment in Belvidere

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
The 9 speed trans got a bad rep due to an issue that mainly effected the Cherokee. It seems those issues have been worked out by now.

The 2015 200 looks great IMO. The Dart is a good looking car too. I think the issue with the Dart is that people remember how cheap and crappy the neon was. Up until the new Dart was released, Chrysler/Dodge wasn't known for making attractive small cars.

Dragonkat

Car Life: It's what we do...24/7
Aug 17, 2012
Kenosha
The 2015 200 looks great IMO. The Dart is a good looking car too. I think the issue with the Dart is that people remember how cheap and crappy the neon was. Up until the new Dart was released, Chrysler/Dodge wasn't known for making attractive small cars.

I agree both are good looking cars, but about the remembering the neon thing, really, I mean outside of sites like TCG, how many people really remember the neon? a few at best, I don't think that factored into anything.

what did factor into the slow start IMO was everyone saw the Dart and said " oh shit...WRX Killer ?" only the powertrain's were not up for that job

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
GIF-Okay-OK-Agree-Agreeing-Yep-Aw-yeah-Yeah-Fuck-yeah-yes-John-Krasinski-Jim-Halpert-The-Office-GIF.gif

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Well FWIW:

1.) This seems like a terrible source for info

2.) IMHO (as an owner of a 15' 200) there's a lot to like about this car. There are things I dislike as well but they are far outweighed by positives. I also have zero loyalty to brands as I've owned Lincoln/Ford, BMW, GM, and now Chrysler... so there's my eclectic tastes but that being said:

The 9 speed is more than fine. They did a software update on the trans in the 2nd quarter of 15 and pretty much ironed out anything that people were having problems with. The trans is a solid ZF that's well built, and in 9th gear I can get 37 mpg with a 300hp V6 and AWD... that's unreal.

The fit and finish of the car is quite impressive for a Chrysler. Interior for a sub 30K car is great. The roto knob may not be for everyone. My only caveat that I currently hate about my interior is that the back deck rattles from the 8" free air sub... but it seems that no manufacture (save a few high end models from Audi/BMW/ect) have come to realize that mounting free air subs sucks.

My only other complaint is that I can't seem to find the front seats entirely comfy. But I came from a 3 series with sports seats that were heavenly so maybe I was spoiled. I think they need way more side bolstering though, and a better lumbar support system than what's in there.

Besides that (and the joke of an Alpine stereo being "premium") I love everything else about the car. Handles well, great in the snow, AWD system is one of the newer out there, touchscreen software is way better than anything else I've used, it was sub 30K and has features like adaptive cruise, front/rear park aids, lane holding, BLIS, A/C seats....ect, and has been clocked in the quarter at high 13's stock. For a DD, it works well. All my observations are based on a purely loaded every option 200C however, the less frills aren't quite as cool.

My 2 cents. I highly doubt Chrysler just stops the entire line when they sold the crap out of them in the past year.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
I'm not so unimpressed by the 200 but Chrysler did a bad job with selling it. I had said a while back that I worked in a building with a Chrysler (FCA now??) office and you'd see cars there before you'd see them on the road. It was one of the relatively few cars that piqued my interest as much as it did the first time I saw it. I was really disappointed they'd try an "Imported from Detroit" commercial with a supposedly big-hitter in Suh with the rebadged Sebring. The name change should have waited until the generation change. The Sebring base was awful. The recent family of 200s is nothing like that.

The Dart however... a lot of those owners I've talked to have panned it pretty bad, without me having to even ask.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Too bad GM cant figure out how to make an AWD car that doesn't cost a fucking arm and a leg.........

For Christ sakes Dodge and Ford have figured it out.

GM really needs AWD Chevy cars in the line up.

Malibu AWD would do good against the Fusion AWD

Impala AWD would do good against the Charger AWD

Just a few off the top of my head.

What is GM's cheapest AWD car anyways? Buick Regal?

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
I'm not so unimpressed by the 200 but Chrysler did a bad job with selling it. I had said a while back that I worked in a building with a Chrysler (FCA now??) office and you'd see cars there before you'd see them on the road. It was one of the relatively few cars that piqued my interest as much as it did the first time I saw it. I was really disappointed they'd try an "Imported from Detroit" commercial with a supposedly big-hitter in Suh with the rebadged Sebring. The name change should have waited until the generation change. The Sebring base was awful. The recent family of 200s is nothing like that.

The Dart however... a lot of those owners I've talked to have panned it pretty bad, without me having to even ask.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^ The stupid "imported from Detroit" nonsense still makes me cringe!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info