20-year-old Chevrolet Caprice still patrolling for McHenry County Sheriff's Office

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
20-year-old Chevrolet Caprice still patrolling for McHenry County Sheriff's Office

The first day McHenry County Sheriff’s Deputy Mike Stadler patrolled in his new squad car, he was the one being stopped and questioned.

Stadler drives a 1995 Chevrolet Caprice, a car that was produced for only three years and was one of the first performance vehicles made for police. Equipped with the LT1 engine seen in Corvettes of the time, Stadler said the 20-year-old police cruiser is the only one of its kind still in service with any police department in the country as far he knows.

Stadler said he assumed people wouldn’t see the appeal of the cruiser. He even wondered if people would think it was an actively patrolling police car, but they do appreciate it.

“A lot more people recognized it for what it was,” Stadler said. “Younger people, older people, car guys, non-car guys, they all wanted to see it. It almost became a little ambassador, if you will, that we had never planned.”

The car had been collecting dust in a climate-controlled barn for more than a decade until January 2015 when Stadler was offered a chance to use it after his mid-2000s Chevrolet Impala died. Set aside as the sheriff’s parade car, it was the one Caprice remaining from a 1990s bulk buy. The car had only 4,000 miles on it.

“I could see the diamond in the rough,” Stadler said. “Your non-car person would look at this thing and think, ‘Why would I want this 20-year-old thing covered in dirt?’ Where I was, ‘I really want to clean this thing up.’ ”

It took about a month for sheriff’s office fleet manager John Trotter to put in a modern communication and computer system, as well as a new light bar. The car still doesn’t have USB ports like modern cars, but Stadler said he’s content with the AM/FM radio. He also has to work with the car’s rear-wheel drive system and lack of traction control.

With 350 horsepower, the car could drive circles around the typical Ford Crown Victoria police interceptor fashioned after taxis in the ‘80s and ‘90s and the Impalas that came into style in the 2000s, Stadler said. He conceded the new Dodge Chargers in the sheriff’s office’s 94-car fleet pack more power.

Stadler wouldn’t put the rookies he trains as an emergency vehicle operator instructor into the car, which they affectionately named Christine after the killer car of Stephen King fame. But for a 16-year-veteran of the department who also happens to be a car enthusiast in his personal time, the car feels like home.

“It was like putting on an old shoe,” Stadler said. “It was like I pulled out my old tennis shoe from 1995 and laced it back up.”

After a year of running the Caprice for 40 hours a week, Stadler has brought the odometer reading up to 30,000; 170,000 miles shy of the mileage on the Caprices in the same lot when they were retired.

“Those cars were on the road for 10 years,” Stadler said. “I don’t know if this one will be around for 10 years on the road, but I’m sure going to enjoy it as long as I have it.”

e3yuqlye9jqdlqzrvmv49cg2kuglugn

tmvsmljji7mk6ctaktouiuwwmjindjs

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I you wanted a pursuit car back in a the day and didn't have a B4C Camaro, or one of the rare Mustangs, then this was the car to have.

The 94-96 Impala SS will do every bit of its electronically limited 154mph. The Caprices were limited to slower speeds, functionally the same car just with different tires requiring a slower limiter.

They take a while to get there though, heavy beasties they are.

GLIGTO

Coyote Nut Swinger
Jun 3, 2012
Desantis-Land
Since when did an LT1 make 350hp??? Those iron headed 9C1 motors made 260...

Exactly. This type of inaccuracy pisses me off, honestly. You'd never see this on a sports article, God forbid somebody misquoted some type of sports statistic everyone would go mad. Oh but you can misquote automotive statistics all day long and no one bats an eye. Fing garbage if you ask me, car culture gets no respect.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info