VW to build Focus RS fighter

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
The golf R starts at 36k, re-read the article ;)

They already make the golf R, and it beat out the other hot hatches... thought i'd imagine the RS will run circles around the R, though by not as much as you think at a track setting

the R starts at 36k OP and goes over 40k loaded up, whatever they building above that is gonna be like 50k or something stupid... might as well get a m235 or something at that price point, thats nuts

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
And what does a Focus RS go for?

I hope this is priced close to the RS in price.

As for the $XX,XXX price for a 4 cylinder argument, really? I don't give a damn if its 4 cylinder or 8 cylinders. 400hp is 400 hp. Even better from a smaller engine IMO.

Also Ford>VW>Sti because 'Merica!!

:io:

Base 36, right about same as Golf R. Focus RS tops out at 42k with every option. Golf R also tops out close to 42k.

Audi S3 starts at 41k, and tops out at 50k+.

So the mega/super Golf R will likely start near low 40k and escalate to high 40's. Considering the Super R will likely have more in common with the RS3.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
The golf R starts at 36k, re-read the article ;)

They already make the golf R, and it beat out the other hot hatches... thought i'd imagine the RS will run circles around the R, though by not as much as you think at a track setting

the R starts at 36k OP and goes over 40k loaded up, whatever they building above that is gonna be like 50k or something stupid... might as well get a m235 or something at that price point, thats nuts

I am no expert on either car, but I would assume the focus would slaughter most little hot hatches out there right now based on the updates it just got. Or am I misinformed?

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I am no expert on either car, but I would assume the focus would slaughter most little hot hatches out there right now based on the updates it just got. Or am I misinformed?

The ST? It got a brake upgrade in mid 2014, and the 15's got a revised suspension with stiffer dampers and a few other things. But power and weight remained the same.

In stock trim the ST beats the Golf GTI. But the GTI comes with a higher flowing turbo, and the DSG allows it to stay in boost between shifts. Its also lighter than the ST.

The RS and Golf R are about the same weight actually. And it has an additional 60hp and more torque out of the gate. But, the Golf R's DSG will provide big acceleration benefits by keeping the engine in boost.

The Focus RS doesn't actually have a center differential at all. The power is sent directly to the rear via a drive shaft, there is a clutch system in there that determines how much power is sent to the rear. It can send 70% to the rear, and in the rear it can send 100% to either wheel. The front remains an open differential using the brake biased diff system the ST has. For road racers a LSD for the front will probably be developed to increase front end grip under acceleration. And I imagine that there will be upgrades available for the RDU. Its a really light setup. The base RS weighs about the same as a base Focus ST.

I've done some flat foot shifting in the ST. It makes a huge difference. Its like a kick in the head every upshift compared to not doing FFS. But its pretty abusive to the transmission, so I don't do it. I have probably used the FFS feature about 3 times total in the years I've owned the car, I just don't feel comfortable with it.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
The ST? It got a brake upgrade in mid 2014, and the 15's got a revised suspension with stiffer dampers and a few other things. But power and weight remained the same.

In stock trim the ST beats the Golf GTI. But the GTI comes with a higher flowing turbo, and the DSG allows it to stay in boost between shifts. Its also lighter than the ST.

The RS and Golf R are about the same weight actually. And it has an additional 60hp and more torque out of the gate. But, the Golf R's DSG will provide big acceleration benefits by keeping the engine in boost.

The Focus RS doesn't actually have a center differential at all. The power is sent directly to the rear via a drive shaft, there is a clutch system in there that determines how much power is sent to the rear. It can send 70% to the rear, and in the rear it can send 100% to either wheel. The front remains an open differential using the brake biased diff system the ST has. For road racers a LSD for the front will probably be developed to increase front end grip under acceleration. And I imagine that there will be upgrades available for the RDU. Its a really light setup. The base RS weighs about the same as a base Focus ST.

I've done some flat foot shifting in the ST. It makes a huge difference. Its like a kick in the head every upshift compared to not doing FFS. But its pretty abusive to the transmission, so I don't do it. I have probably used the FFS feature about 3 times total in the years I've owned the car, I just don't feel comfortable with it.

Unless I read it wrong, I was under the impression that The Broken Regal was saying the golf r would stay near the focus rs on the track. That to me makes no sense at all...

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Unless I read it wrong, I was under the impression that The Broken Regal was saying the golf r would stay near the focus rs on the track. That to me makes no sense at all...

Near is relative. Handling wise both are similar weight, and have the same tire size. But an RS with the Cup2 tires will probably have a 1 second lap advantage over an RS with the standard PSS tires due to their sticker nature.

I think the RS is going to be the better damped and faster track car. People buying it simply don't care about ride quality, they want handling ability. Add in its extra power and its going to walk away from the Golf R in the long run. But the short run like at a drag strip the R is going to have a big advantage with the DSG box. The Super Mega R with 420 will likely also have a DSG, so I expect sub 4 seconds to 60 on it.

Golf R DSG runs to 60 in 4.5 seconds.
Golf R Manual runs to 60 in 5.2 seconds.
Focus RS runs to 62mph in 4.7 with manual. With a DSG the RS would likely hit 60mph in under 4 seconds.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Near is relative. Handling wise both are similar weight, and have the same tire size. But an RS with the Cup2 tires will probably have a 1 second lap advantage over an RS with the standard PSS tires due to their sticker nature.

I think the RS is going to be the better damped and faster track car. People buying it simply don't care about ride quality, they want handling ability. Add in its extra power and its going to walk away from the Golf R in the long run. But the short run like at a drag strip the R is going to have a big advantage with the DSG box. The Super Mega R with 420 will likely also have a DSG, so I expect sub 4 seconds to 60 on it.

Golf R DSG runs to 60 in 4.5 seconds.
Golf R Manual runs to 60 in 5.2 seconds.
Focus RS runs to 62mph in 4.7 with manual. With a DSG the RS would likely hit 60mph in under 4 seconds.

That is what I was expecting to read, I get the super R would be faster if it had 60 more hp than the RS.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info