Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
:hsughlol::hsughlol::hsughlol:

Will the Next Subaru WRX STI Be a Hybrid?

I would assume this would probably trickle down to the WRX in some way...unless the STI is really the only one to have gas guzzling problems?

The Subaru WRX and the WRX STI are both known for being street-legal rally weapons that can out-perform quite a few cars that cost significantly more money. ​Traditionally, neither car has offered much in the way of creature comforts, instead putting the R&D budget to use on the parts that improve handling.

It's a simple approach that's worked for years, but if Autralia's Motoring is to be believed, the next-generation WRX STI is about to get a a lot more complicated because it's going hybrid.

Supposedly, the need to drastically improve fuel economy is behind the decision. Subaru is reportedly working on a way to pair the 2.0-liter turbo four in the WRX with an electric motor to bring total power up to around 320 horsepower.

The new car's all-wheel drive system could also receive an update, using electric motors to drive the rear wheels. A new dual-clutch transmission is reportedly in the works, as well. Finally, Subaru is also looking into offering a plug-in hybrid version of the new STI.

As always, these are very much rumors and should be taken with a gigantic grain of salt, but we're beginning to see hybrids become the norm in performance cars, so this wouldn't be a huge shock if it came to fruition.

It may sound heretical to turn the STI into a hybrid, but assuming Subaru keeps the price from spiraling out of control, the torque from the electric motors could make for one seriously fun-to-drive economy car.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Considering you can get base model Camaro's with more HP, 320 HP is fairly underwhelming...especially considering the output hasn't really changed in over a decade of STI's

I mean the car has remained capable with that HP number tho....I agree it should be upwards of 400 but its not like the car has been a slouch.

Whats the Focus RS doing again? 340? 350? That should be the starting point for most of these newer cars now.

Thinking about it, I'm kind of being hypocritical b/c if power wasnt everything, i wouldnt have gone from 500 to 700 :rofl:

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
The Focus RS is also supposed to undercut the price of the STI to, from what I can remember, by a couple grand...

I mean, I agree, the STI is no slouch....but in the decade it's been around the performance is very similar to what it was, when it was launched (0-60 in the low 5's upper 4's and mid 13's 1/4's) If it was retaining that horsepower, but gaining a bunch of speed and efficiency, I really wouldn't be arguing the fact...but it's really only gotten very slightly incrementally faster over the last 10 years.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
I mentioned this in the Evo thread, but back in the sti/evo prime days, they were unbeatable performance cars. I felt like people didn't like them over the Camaro/mustang for practicality reasons, but they did because they were actually faster. The Evo/Sti was like the japanese camaro/mustang rivalry, and I guess I expected them to continue the arms race like ford and chevy are doing now. Instead Evo's are dead and Sti's are now considered "fun-to-drive". Fun to drive is what you say when you like the car but wish it had more HP. idk, I guess bolt ons and a tune could get it up to speed pretty easily, if you're into that sort of thing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info