Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Makes me really wonder if no new GTR is in the pipeline, at all...I mean they havent exactly made money on these cars but they are still just as potent as ever...2020 (if this is true) is a LONG way off. A lot could change and to not having anything planned at all...

Report: R36 Nissan GT-R Delayed Until at Least 2020

The Nissan GT-R is an incredibly fast car that's capable of outracing almost any other car on the road. Only a few cars can out-accelerate it, and it's just as home on the track. Improving on that kind of performance is going to be difficult, especially if fuel economy regulations get even tighter.

Sadly, according to a report from Motoring.com.au, whatever the next-generation Nissan GT-R is, we won't be seeing it for at least another five years.

Responding to a report that the GT-R's redesign had been delayed until 2018, Nissan Australia's managing director Richard Emery said, "To be honest the company is not even talking about it. We are close to the life cycle in terms of cars now and in the future. In terms of direct conversation around GT-R, it's not on the horizon."

He then followed that up by saying, "It's certainly not 2018, and I can't see it even in 2019. It's not on the product plan list for that period."

That would make the current GT-R more than 13 years old by the time it's replaced. The news would potentially make the Nissan Concept 2020's name more accurate than previously thought, but Emery didn't actually confirm that the R36 would be coming in 2020.

For fans of the car, which includes us, this is disappointing news.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I mean they are going to be (potentially) so far behind the curve...the new NSX, potentially new Supra...the Vette and Mustangs are only getting faster....the new Camaro....who knows what the car field will be like 5 or 6 years from now.

And as much as I love the looks of the GTR, its definitely starting to be a tired design...

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
As a huge nissan nutswinger.. They are unwilling to make anything fun to drive as seen by how when new management came in they killed the IDX, Eau Rouge and a lot of other projects. They don't even have a fun car under the 370z which has crept up in price and fallen on power.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Except they dont have the prius and all that hybrid nutswinging to help pay the bills. Although the leaf has done better then I thought.

Everything is still 2.5 QR or VQ with a garbage CVT until you get to the 370z. Why I am a Mazda/Ford fan now except for the Z and the GTR.. Can't even get the juke with manual and awd.

How hard is it to make a hot hatch/anything that young people would want to buy.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
Well the sentra used to be that car until it just became a small version of the altima. A smaller Z car with a decent little 4, priced around the brz would be a huge hit. I think theres a lot of people who want a brz but with more power. I don't know why Nissan couldn't just steal that whole market especially with its heratige of those kinds of cars. idk if the brz/frs is making that much money for sub/toyota tho

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info