New Cobra Jet

P40E

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2012
10384939_1102336666466694_2188402903002458674_n.jpg

Should be at Sema . https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153578038848820&id=44789073819

:noes:

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Yes, its a solid with 4 link. I'm sure the details will be released soon enough, as I'm sure they'll offer the whole kit through FRPP.

FRPP Will not offer a kit for this. At least I highly doubt they would. Because it isn't a bolt in kit. A chassis shop making these cars, Watson Engineering. So if you want a solid axle in your 2015+ Mustang plan on paying a chassis shop to do a traditional 4 link in the car.

The IRS will work fine for most street going cars with some track time. They have gone in the 9's with the stock rear end set up. They make a 9" center section if the 8.8 isn't strong enough for big power. If you want a more dedicated drag car and solid axle you probably are going to need a roll cage and chassis done anyways. Or buy you can just buy a 2014 or older body.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Yes. The 03/04 cobra was designed to take the existing solid axle chassis and converted a IRS to use the solid axle mounts. Where as the S550 chassis was designed to be a IRS car from the get go.

You can see the mounts of the 2015 Mustang (top) versus the mounts on the 03/04 Cobra (bottom) that worked with the solid axle chassis. The 03/04 Cobra IRS cradle uses the lower control arm mounting location on the chassis. Then left the solid axle upper control arm mounts on the chassis as well. There are just holes in the S550 chassis where bolts go strait up into the chassis into caged nuts.

1-2015-Mustang-IRS-Upgrades.jpg

SAM_0192.jpg

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
FRPP Will not offer a kit for this. At least I highly doubt they would. Because it isn't a bolt in kit. A chassis shop making these cars, Watson Engineering. So if you want a solid axle in your 2015+ Mustang plan on paying a chassis shop to do a traditional 4 link in the car.

The IRS will work fine for most street going cars with some track time. They have gone in the 9's with the stock rear end set up. They make a 9" center section if the 8.8 isn't strong enough for big power. If you want a more dedicated drag car and solid axle you probably are going to need a roll cage and chassis done anyways. Or buy you can just buy a 2014 or older body.

But ford has always offered every part to build a cobra jet as they know not everyone will get one of the 50 complete cars.

I know its not bolt in, but I bet frpp sells the kit.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
600 plus NA HP coyote.... With ITB's

Is it just me or do them heads look like 2 Honda B series heads slapped on a V8?

Pretty much look the same once you start tearing them apart.

Tech: New Developments In Coyote Camshaft Technology With Comp Cams

For comparison, the old cams from this engine — which made 624.9 horsepower and 456.6 lb-ft of torque on the dyno — use specifications of .512-inch lift for the intake, with a duration of 240 at .050-inch. On the exhaust side, the camshafts area also .512-inch gross lift. Duration is 246 degrees at .050-inch lift, with 128 degrees of lobe separation on both intake and exhaust camshafts. The new camshafts add five degrees of overlap (18 degrees versus 13 degrees) which will provide more signal to the incoming intake charge and provide improvement to engine acceleration.

Note that while the new camshafts appear to be virtually the same — but with less duration at .050-inch — the ramp rates are quicker, leading to more usable power under the curve. As the engine will be used for road-course activity, the new design is a perfect match for the required characteristics, without the threat of power loss at high RPM. The individual throttle bodies from InnoV8 Race Engines recently installed on the engine are also expected to boost the high-RPM power level.

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Jan 1, 2013
Northwest Chicagoland
600 plus NA HP coyote.... With ITB's

Is it just me or do them heads look like 2 Honda B series heads slapped on a V8?

Pretty much look the same once you start tearing them apart.

Tech: New Developments In Coyote Camshaft Technology With Comp Cams

For comparison, the old cams from this engine — which made 624.9 horsepower and 456.6 lb-ft of torque on the dyno — use specifications of .512-inch lift for the intake, with a duration of 240 at .050-inch. On the exhaust side, the camshafts area also .512-inch gross lift. Duration is 246 degrees at .050-inch lift, with 128 degrees of lobe separation on both intake and exhaust camshafts. The new camshafts add five degrees of overlap (18 degrees versus 13 degrees) which will provide more signal to the incoming intake charge and provide improvement to engine acceleration.

Note that while the new camshafts appear to be virtually the same — but with less duration at .050-inch — the ramp rates are quicker, leading to more usable power under the curve. As the engine will be used for road-course activity, the new design is a perfect match for the required characteristics, without the threat of power loss at high RPM. The individual throttle bodies from InnoV8 Race Engines recently installed on the engine are also expected to boost the high-RPM power level.

Great article. Really enjoyed reading this. It pisses me off knowing that GM had a motor(LT-5) in the 90's they could have developed as Ford has done w their DOHC.

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
yeah cuz those GM v8's they came out with in the late 90's and 2000's just suck butt!
Lol. I have an LS1 and I couldn't be happier with the performance/economy/cost. I'm glad GM went the route they did. But those LT5's were one hell of a motor! esp the 93-95 models. 405hp and 385 tq. I don't think there was a higher output GM motor until the 02 or 03 Z06.

On the other hand it took Ford forever to get it right with their NA mod motors. Not till 2011 with the coyote IMO

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Jan 1, 2013
Northwest Chicagoland
yeah cuz those GM v8's they came out with in the late 90's and 2000's just suck butt!

Look, there's no questioning the terrific engineering GM Powertrian has done w the LS and now LT family of motors. Power density is outstanding. I've been a GM guy for a long time and driven lots of SBCs. But I admire what Ford has done w the Coyote and happen to like high output, high rpm, smaller displacement motors. I loved the original Z-28 302s. Yeah I know it's OHV.
My sense is that GM has rung out pretty much what they can from the OHV architecture. They've crutched it w displacement, and now FI. Meanwhile, over at the Corvette Forums, people are bellyaching about dropped valves, and overheated motors on the track. Smaller, lighter valves is a more "elegant" solution than massive valves w really high lifts. Having now owned a DOHC V8,
it would be difficult to go back.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Great article. Really enjoyed reading this. It pisses me off knowing that GM had a motor(LT-5) in the 90's they could have developed as Ford has done w their DOHC.

This is a "What if" kind of article. It uses some of the prototype parts for the Gen III LT5 that never was. It explains it isn't it's full potential due to no CVT parts that were planned were built so they couldn't use the three lobe cams in this build.

An EngineLabs Exclusive: The Gen III LT5 That Never Was, Alive Again

Look, there's no questioning the terrific engineering GM Powertrian has done w the LS and now LT family of motors. Power density is outstanding. I've been a GM guy for a long time and driven lots of SBCs. But I admire what Ford has done w the Coyote and happen to like high output, high rpm, smaller displacement motors. I loved the original Z-28 302s. Yeah I know it's OHV.
My sense is that GM has rung out pretty much what they can from the OHV architecture. They've crutched it w displacement, and now FI. Meanwhile, over at the Corvette Forums, people are bellyaching about dropped valves, and overheated motors on the track. Smaller, lighter valves is a more "elegant" solution than massive valves w really high lifts. Having now owned a DOHC V8,

Another article I remember reading said the LT1 corvette killed off the LT5 ZR-1. Because they were basically the same car with a different engine. Was easy to drop it for the next gen vette. They also had issues because of emissions and ODB-II requirements. The technology wasn't there to progress the Gen III LT5 to 475hp with out the 16 injectors that ODB-II mandated and so on. Interesting to see what would have happened it that program had continued. Or if the Gen I motor was not held back. I think the Lotus engineer wanted a 4.55" bore and GM made him use the 4.4" bore. Meaning smaller valves due to the smaller bores, change of ports and combustion chamber design. They had a goal originally of 400hp. In the end the smaller bore engine ended up making like 375 rwhp through the trans and rear end on the first dyno pull. Imagine if it had the larger bore, valves, ports and so on.

They also made the decision to make the LT5 instead of looking into turbo charging. Imagine what the vette would be if they went with a turbo charged v6 instead of the LT5. The LT1 used a lot of things they learned from the LT5. So had they gone turbo v6 there might have never been a LT5, LT1 or LS1.

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
Sounds like a GT350 is the car for you!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info