May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Viper's days are numbered

2015-dodge-viper-07-1.jpg

by Chris Bruce
Oct 14th 2015 at 4:16PM

The Dodge Viper might be running out of venom because the muscle-bound sports car could be on the road to being cancelled in just a few years.

According to Allpar, the proposed deal between the United Auto Workers and FCA US would close the Connor Avenue Assembly plant, which produces the Viper, in 2017.

The proposed union contract doesn't give a reason for closing the factory, but the decision is understandable if frustrating. The plant was idled twice last year to reduce production of the Viper to match flagging demand. A $15,000 price cut for the coupe eventually allowed for a sales surge, but that appetite hasn't continued in 2015.

From January through September of this year, the company has only moved 503 of the sports cars, down eight percent. To further spur demand, Dodge has employed a few other tactics like the 1 of 1 program for buyers to personalize their Vipers, and the introduction of the brutally track-focused ACR.

In a world where high-end sports cars are continuing to get friendlier for both their drivers and the environment, the Viper remains a holdout with a big, naturally aspirated V10.

Even with the addition of some rudimentary electronic aids on the latest Vipers, the snake still demands respect from those behind the wheel. Respect is fine, but sales are what matter to FCA – and the harsh reality is that a lack thereof might force the Viper into retirement, whether we like it or not.

Dodge Viper might not live past 2017

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Less HP. More comfortable suspension. Turn it into a cruiser. the 8C was an amazing car. But production was limited to 500 units.

The 599 and F12, I believe, use the Delphi magneride, so I imagine are pretty comfortable already, and probably much more comfortable than the viper.

Thing is the 599 and F12 are GT cars, they ARE the Ferrari cruisers...IMO, Ferrari wouldn't want to tarnish it's imagine with a bastardized car

Alfa's, Fiat, and Maserati is fair game though. A Viper chassis with a Ferrari V8, with a Masterati badge would be tits.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I don't get why people don't buy vipers. No offense to the vette owners, but I'd take a new viper over a z06 all day.

The typical vette owner cares more about ride quality and seat warmers. The vast majority of people who can afford a new Z06 or Viper are of retirement age the Viper is not a comfortable car to drive or ride in. The geriatric fucks don't want a car that will damage their already fragile colon. :rofl:

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I don't get why people don't buy vipers. No offense to the vette owners, but I'd take a new viper over a z06 all day.

I think it's failing because it's not practical at all. It's hard to sell someone on a monster ass v10 with big insurance premiums that gets lambo mpg numbers. Large engines like this are pretty much a thing of the past unless it's a hypercar. Sure it may look pretty but at what cost?

I bet this thing would have struggled to do the starved rock cruise on one full tank of gas. For me that's unacceptable when you have cars like the new zo6 which are just as fast over doubling your gas on the hwy. I'm not talking about cost, I'm talking about the annoyance factor with having to map your route based on fuel stops.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I think it's failing because it's not practical at all. It's hard to sell someone on a monster ass v10 with big insurance premiums that gets lambo mpg numbers. Large engines like this are pretty much a thing of the past unless it's a hypercar. Sure it may look pretty but at what cost?

I bet this thing would have struggled to do the starved rock cruise on one full tank of gas. For me that's unacceptable when you have cars like the new zo6 which are just as fast over doubling your gas on the hwy. I'm not talking about cost, I'm talking about the annoyance factor with having to map your route based on fuel stops.

The R8 doesn't get good gas mileage, but it gets 350 to 400 miles on a tank. Most cars with shit gas mileage have a gigantic fuel tank, mine is 24 gallons.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

And you call yourself an enthusiast.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info