LAPD Now Rolling in a Tesla

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
How would you like to be the cop who drives this police car... Or the criminal who sees it following him?

tesla-model-s-cop-car.png.cf.jpg

Any criminal foolish enough to run from the Los Angeles Police Department now might find their epic car chases is over before it even began. That’s because the LAPD has acquired a Tesla Model S as part of its initiative to build a greener fleet of vehicles, the department announced last week.

tesla.jpg

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/death-car-chase-lapd-now-tesla-124508834.html

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
these take a lot of energy to build, hardly green, and don't use a lot of green generated energy either. i wonder when the real crossover point is achieved? idiotic, nonetheless, waste of taxpayer money for a political show where the show matters and not the results. also idiotic to have a car that must live life around charge times, but guessing it will hardly be joe officer's daily squad.

minneapolis has commuter only lanes, which i violated all the time. the traffic in the lanes to the right would be slow going or start/stop, and the commute lane was wide open to plow right on through. how could one resist? it seemed to me about 10% of the cars in this lane actually had 2+ people.

what impact did the commuter lane really have though? this green political idea? i bet it had close to zero results when introduced and has contributed to a long term change of 0% more people sharing cars. you share cars if it's already convenient, not because politicians made a new lane. and is this green in the end? 2 lanes start/stop and 1 free flowing. how much more fuel is wasted with those lanes vs. a clearer flowing fully 3 lane highway?

green idiocy, brought to you by money you could have used for something else.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
these take a lot of energy to build, hardly green, and don't use a lot of green generated energy either. i wonder when the real crossover point is achieved? idiotic, nonetheless, waste of taxpayer money for a political show where the show matters and not the results. also idiotic to have a car that must live life around charge times, but guessing it will hardly be joe officer's daily squad.

minneapolis has commuter only lanes, which i violated all the time. the traffic in the lanes to the right would be slow going or start/stop, and the commute lane was wide open to plow right on through. how could one resist? it seemed to me about 10% of the cars in this lane actually had 2+ people.

what impact did the commuter lane really have though? this green political idea? i bet it had close to zero results when introduced and has contributed to a long term change of 0% more people sharing cars. you share cars if it's already convenient, not because politicians made a new lane. and is this green in the end? 2 lanes start/stop and 1 free flowing. how much more fuel is wasted with those lanes vs. a clearer flowing fully 3 lane highway?

green idiocy, brought to you by money you could have used for something else.

Do you have specific documentation to back up your claim that building a Tesla is as bad or worse than building a comperable BMW 5 or 7 series?

From my research it appears Tesla is constantly looking for ways to save money and use renewable energy where ever they can.

My example would be their new Gigafactory they are building. They are also going to have an entire solar panel field next to it to power the facility. Seems as though they are making strides in the green direction.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Do you have specific documentation to back up your claim that building a Tesla is as bad or worse than building a comperable BMW 5 or 7 series?

From my research it appears Tesla is constantly looking for ways to save money and use renewable energy where ever they can.

My example would be their new Gigafactory they are building. They are also going to have an entire solar panel field next to it to power the facility. Seems as though they are making strides in the green direction.

None of us are qualified to speak on this, so lets just bitch about the LAPD some more.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
None of us are qualified to speak on this, so lets just bitch about the LAPD some more.

Well I also did a little research before wildly degrading the LAPD. From this article it appears they are being loaned both the Tesla and the BMW I3. Whether this loan is free or deeply discounted. It apprears they did not go out and simply spend 100k on a car with peoples money.

Oh and Since Tesla is based in California I am sure they got a fantastic deal for this positive publicity.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/15/news/companies/tesla-model-s-lapd/

edit: another article here as well that states it is being loaned to them. Making it sound like taxpayer money was not involved.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/15/wa...sla-model-s-just-get-arrested-in-los-angeles/

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

this was a general comment made in regards to 3 things:

1. the greenest car is almost always the one you are already driving, it takes a lot of energy and resources to make any new car. since you asked for sources here's one that takes a fair stab at buy used good mileage ice car or buy new prius - Is it more energy-efficient to buy a used car than a brand-new hybrid?
he comes out noting the prius is ahead, but i think there are a fair bit of assumptions in that too.
also note the green ROI i think is rarely achieved by the typical first owner of the vehicle. of course cops are always buying new cars as fleet vehicles so comparing new ice vs. new hybrid the latter would be greener over time (realized by some owner though, not necessarily them)

2. hybrids in general take even more energy to produce, particularly because of the batteries
this is not really a controversial statement, the article above for example even notes the highlander estimated at 107m btu with the hybrid version at 155.
then again, the tesla is a full EV and not a hybrid. on one hand, no need to make an engine, on the other, a whole lot more batteries. in the end i feel 100% confident asserting the tesla costs more to make than a 5 or 7.

3. the energy that goes into creating the electricity the cars use is still quite dirty. here is a pretty fair article on various angles, studies and sources on that.
How green is a Tesla? Electric cars’ environmental impact depends on where you live.

an interesting snippet from this article
Meanwhile, Tesla, Nissan, and other automakers are working feverishly to increase the efficiency and reduce the cost of batteries. The technology isn’t advancing exponentially, as it has with computer processors, but it is advancing.

as mike k loves, i always point this out as something people who have a romantic relationship with teslas/full evs don't get (nor stockholders IMO) - tesla is bound to battery chemistry. while many people delude themselves into believing they are bound to computer technology. they grew up with heavy computers that now fill it in their jeans pocket, and expect electric vehicles to do the same, ignoring that full ev is over a 100 year old idea.

sure, but that doesn't mean the stuff they are working with isn't costly already. IMO their next biggest real gain would be using something like bmw's carbon fiber frame technology as is done in the i3 and i8. both cars, by the way, that offer full ev as well as hybrid versions.

i am interested to see how well that all (gigafactory) works or if this will be one atrocious boondoggle.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
1. I don't believe they paid for it. I think they got a Model S and a BMW i3 donated to see how they could fit into the existing fleet. It's an experiment and a lot of PR.

2. lol at Sick absolutely not being able to resist bashing on Tesla regardless of the circumstances.

Random person: "Yesterday it was sunny!"

Sick: "That's great. Have I told you why Tesla's Model S is complete shit?".

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
it is less 'bashing tesla' and more 'repeating real world facts surrounding fully electronic vehicles'

random person: musk is jesus and i can't wait to trade in my camry for a self driving car/computer with a bacon dispenser all for 25k next year!

sick: let me introduce you to science and math

random person: close your ears my love! this man is bad! click your heels and think of rainbows

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I will say however a police electric/hybrid fleet would make some sense *Once prices come down to comparable levels*.

The Tesla vehicles have a lot less moving parts and overall maintenance than an ICE car. If the vehicle price is comparable it would save cities, towns, villages a lot of money in upkeep. Just think how many miles police cars are driven every year. The cost of fuel, the oil changes, fluid changes, and the fuel they burn sitting in the turn abouts on the highway with the A/C blasting annoying commuters.

It really could be the wave of the future. Especially if they have police performance models.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
I will say however a police electric/hybrid fleet would make some sense *Once prices come down to comparable levels*.

The Tesla vehicles have a lot less moving parts and overall maintenance than an ICE car. If the vehicle price is comparable it would save cities, towns, villages a lot of money in upkeep. Just think how many miles police cars are driven every year. The cost of fuel, the oil changes, fluid changes, and the fuel they burn sitting in the turn abouts on the highway with the A/C blasting annoying commuters.

It really could be the wave of the future. Especially if they have police performance models.

Not 100% on this, but I don't see a Telsa being up to the task of doing a 8 hour shift on one charge. Gotta think of how much driving, sitting around idling and electronic crap.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info