Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
We're going to call this one a rumor for at least a little while, but wow. We just got wind of this monster deal that would really cause a major stir in the already tumultuous world of Formula One. News of the World just reported that two-time world driving champion Fernando Alonso is leaving McLaren-Mercedes next year. While that was considered a sure thing in the wake of Stepneygate and all, the real shocker is that he isn't headed to Renault to be reunited with Flavio Briatore as expected. Instead, they have him going to Ferrari of all places. The report says that a cool $40 million was the price to secure Alonso for the scuderia. As they point out, it should be a relatively easy transition for Fernando, who has already been *ahem* studying design features of the Ferrari all season.

With current Ferrari pilot Felipe Massa headed to Toyota, Fernando will be joining current #3 in the driver's race, Kimi Raikkonen, in '08. It should make for another interesting battle over who's number one. The same article that tells of Fernando going to Maranello also bolsters the rumor that Ross Brawn will be stepping up as team manager when Jean Todt leaves at the end of the season. It's not often that the silly season starts this early, but this has been a very atypical year for the FIA and its premier racing class. We'll do some digging and see if we can find other sources to back this one up. But until then, this can only make the last three races of the season more compelling TV.

(courtesty of autoblog)

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
straight from alonsos mouth. still sounds fishy to me. i still wouldnt rule anything out at this point

Fernando Alonso in Japan says his code of silence with McLaren boss Ron Dennis is now over.

Dennis told the World Motor Sport Council earlier this month that he had not spoken to his Spanish driver since an argument in Hungary.

But Alonso was quoted on Thursday as telling the German news agency sid: "I chatted with him at the last race (in Belgium) when I saw him in the hotel."

He added: "I do not want to answer every day what everyone has been saying about me; I will not lose time on that."

Alonso also cooled widespread speculation that he will almost certainly leave the Woking based team to join Ferrari or Renault next year.

"For next year I have a contract with this team and I don't see any problem on that," he told reporters in the paddock.

"I won four races, I make some good podiums and I am fighting for the world championship so everything is going quite well for me and I am happy."

Source GMM
CAPSIS International

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070927153211.shtml

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Mook
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list