Cars could be more efficient if 95 octane is the new 'regular'

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
The Environmental Protection Agency's Office of Transportation and Air Quality is starting to think that raising the octane level that's considered to be regular gas could go a long way toward making modern, downsized engines even more efficient. 95-octane gas could be possible, but the investigation into the issue is still getting underway. It could be many years before any changes actually happen, if they ever come at all.

Christopher Grundler, the office's director, discussed the idea to Automotive News. With a higher octane rating, fuel becomes less likely to pre-ignite and can withstand higher compression ratios. Such a change would theoretically allow small displacement engines to eke out even more horsepower, assuming they are engineered to take advantage of the higher-octane gasoline.

According to Grundler, any changes to standard octane levels would first require significant research. The government would need to know that the higher cost of better fuel is actually a worthwhile investment, Automotive News reports. In much of the US, regular gasoline is currently 87 octane, although it varies by region. Many modern, turbocharged engines already need at least 93 octane. For example, putting in premium allows the Ford Mustang with the 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder to produce its stated 310 horsepower and 320 pound-feet of torque. The pony car can also run on regular in a pinch but peak power drops off.

So why don't we make all fuels 93 octane now? I mean if cars run better one it ( I know mine does) then why not just get rid of 87 and 89? 89 has always been a joke anyways

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
According to Grundler, any changes to standard octane levels would first require significant research. The government would need to know that the higher cost of better fuel is actually a worthwhile investment
Here's how that "research" will go:
Will it wring more tax money out of the people? Yes, higher price means higher tax amount.
Let's do it.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
maybe they will finally end the ethanol garbage added to engines. Behold the power of the corn growers association lobby.
"Wow, we just have a shit ton of corn that no one needs... I know, lets make the american taxpayer pay us to inefficiently turn it into ethanol then make laws to put it in their gas to make their cars run shittier. woohooo yall. "

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
maybe they will finally end the ethanol garbage added to engines. Behold the power of the corn growers association lobby.
"Wow, we just have a shit ton of corn that no one needs... I know, lets make the american taxpayer pay us to inefficiently turn it into ethanol then make laws to put it in their gas to make their cars run shittier. woohooo yall. "

Overabundance of corn ethanol drives down E85 prices? I'm digging this side effect.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
There's still a lot of engineering left in regular old gasoline engines. Electrics and hybrids aren't ready to take over just yet. Mazda's SkyActive engines have a compression ratio of 14.0:1 and run on 87 octane, so I'd definitely be interested to see what something like that does when engineered to run on 93+ octane. Of course, the Mazda isn't any more efficient than its competitors with that high compression, though I think that has more to do more with transmission choices than engine tech.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I still do not even understand why 91 is around. Why not make all premium 93.

That part I can agree with. If I need premium fuel I'm going for the 93 octane stuff. To be honest, I only use 93 octane in both the TransAm and the Focus. The Focus is running increased boost, so 93 is required.

The TransAm I've never put 87 in it, but its possible to tune it to run on 87. Still, I"ll probably always put 93 in it.

Unless E85 was available at every station. Then I'd retune it for E85 in a heart beat. Sure, it has less BTU than gas, but allows so much more timing and compression.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info