Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Not coming to the US...yet.

2016-audi-s8-plus-14-1.jpg

Audi doesn't offer an RS 8, and probably never will. But with the release of the new S8 Plus, we wonder if it will ever have to. Because Ingolstadt's new flagship performance sedan packs a mighty punch.

"Plus" doesn't even begin to describe the enhancements Audi and Quattro GmbH have wrought on the ultimate new version of the A8 sedan. Power is increased from 520 horsepower to 605, besting anything else in its class. Only the Mercedes S65, which packs four more cylinders and two additional liters of displacement, offers more horsepower. Torque is quoted at 516 lb-ft – a gain of 35 – and can deliver up to as much as 553 lb-ft in overboost. That bests any eight-cylinder performance sedan save the S63. The force-fed V8s in the Jaguar XJR, Maserati Quattroporte, and outgoing Alpina B7 don't stand a chance.

All that muscle translates to a 0-62 time quoted at 3.8 seconds. Top speed is governed as usual to 155 miles per hour, but can be derestricted to nearly 190 with the Dynamic package that comes standard in Germany – one of the few places where top speed actually matters. Carbon-ceramic brakes keep all that power and pace in check, nestled inside 21-inch wheels. Naturally, Audi gives the S8 Plus a wide array of visual upgrades inside and out to set it apart from "lesser" versions, and is offering it in an exclusive matte silver finish.

Of course none of those enhancements come cheap. In its home market come the end of November, Audi will charge 145,200 euros for the S8 Plus, representing a 28k premium over the existing S8. That also places this as the new top of the line, commanding a higher price than even the long-wheelbase, dozen-cylinder A8 L W12. We're waiting on word as to whether Audi will bring the new S8 Plus to America, where it would likely similarly cost over $140k.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/05/audi-s8-plus-official/

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I feel like not many people will be cross-shopping a Charger with a German luxury sedan.

Also, did the Hellcat replace the Mustang for ridiculous car comparisons and I just didn't get the memo?

Honestly, at least in the USA, I could see people cross shopping the two. A fully loaded hellcat charger is pretty damn nice inside, even by generic Benz/bmw/audi standards. Quality is 10x better than the dodges used to be (albeit, not quite german standards). Power and performance is on par with each other (Dodge winning straight line, Audi winning cornering). They're both going to achieve roughly the same average mpg. Dodge will suffer in city driving, but not enough to dismiss it from the pros/cons of a new car.

So why not? In the American mind set, I could see people cross shopping them. The only real determining factor between the two is personal taste.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Chrysler interiors are a billion times better than they used to be. They are solid, generally nice looking and don't feel particularly cheap. I've actually sung the praises of both the current gen Charger and 300 interiors as being perfectly comfortable places to spend time. But comparing them to Audi's flagship car... No. I appreciate the point you're trying to make but no.

Even my 2007 A8 blew the pants off of the current 300 which is a car I like a lot and well it should. It's a flagship car. The 2011+ A8 interiors are absolutely incredible, arguably outdone only by the new S class Benz in terms of mass produced luxury vehicles.

Nobody looking a 100k+ Audi is also considering the Charger. Obnoxious power is the only trait those two cars share. That and they both have 4 wheels and four doors. And that's fine. The Charger never set out to be a flagship luxury car so it doesn't take anything away from it that the Audi would be in a completely different level as far as the full package goes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info