Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
r-040a1372-1.jpg

Joining the likes of Koenigsegg in the offering, Ford has teamed with Australian outfit Carbon Revolution to produce the CF rollers en masse for the first time. Destined for the hubs of the new Shelby GT350R, the new hoops weigh just 18 pounds each, versus the 33-lbs weight of a similar aluminum wheel. On top of slashing up to 60 pounds in unsprung weight, there's such a reduction in rotational inertia – 40 percent, versus aluminum wheels – that Ford actually has to recalibrate the magnetic ride control system and springs.

Thanks to, we're guessing, scenes of crashed Formula One cars disintegrating and spewing shards of carbon fiber all over the track, Ford seems quite keen to do away with the idea that CF is strong, but brittle. The company conducted extensive shock testing, ramming a wheel into a curb at speed. According to the Blue Oval, the lightweight wheel allowed the suspension to respond so quickly that the impact was "greatly diminished," causing the tester to run the experiment again, thinking there'd been a mistake.

After recording brake rotor temperatures of 900 degrees Celsius (over 1,650 degrees Fahrenheit, or well past the point that aluminum or magnesium would melt) during testing, Ford and Carbon Revolution actually redesigned the wheels to "a thermal standard more suitable for motorsports," by adding an "incredibly thin, nearly diamond-hard coating that reliably shields the resin from heat." The same process was used to protect engine turbine blades on the Space Shuttle.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
It is awesome, just don't get the spoiler.

I'd have to guess that these wheels will be a ton to replace. I wonder if they are repairable?

Carbon fiber generally is not repairable if its a structural piece. Not to say it can't be repaired, but its unlikely any insurance company would be willing to continue insuring it.

With the wheels, small curb rash can be repaired, mostly its sanding the affected area down and using the right resin to seal it back and fill small areas. But if you managed to crack a spoke or take a chunk out of the rim the wheel is done.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Carbon fiber generally is not repairable if its a structural piece. Not to say it can't be repaired, but its unlikely any insurance company would be willing to continue insuring it.

With the wheels, small curb rash can be repaired, mostly its sanding the affected area down and using the right resin to seal it back and fill small areas. But if you managed to crack a spoke or take a chunk out of the rim the wheel is done.

insurance companies will insure anything... someone will insure anything... for sure.

the wheels will be fine.

they'd just be replaced... insurance company will give no fucks.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
insurance companies will insure anything... someone will insure anything... for sure.

the wheels will be fine.

they'd just be replaced... insurance company will give no fucks.

I was talking more generally. Aka, a car with a Carbon Fiber body unibody would not be repaired. Especially if the Tub is one piece. They'd total the car out.

Insurance would replace the CF wheels, they wouldn't let time be repaired.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
"Thin, nearly-diamond hard coating" that protects the resin from heat?

That is a bit concerning. What usually happens with a coating over time? It wears off. If/When that happens, you will have plastic subjected to 900* temps. Ever point a torch at a piece of plastic? I wonder how long these wheels will last.

So, great specs on weight and reaction times but concerns about long term stability.

The guy in the test ran it twice? How about running it 1,000 times?

As someone who has owned many performance Fords, I know that Ford misses things when they bring new vehicles to market. The damn accelerator pedal broke off in my Cobra because of a design flaw. Wonder how many times Ford tested the pedal? Twice?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
"Thin, nearly-diamond hard coating" that protects the resin from heat?

That is a bit concerning. What usually happens with a coating over time? It wears off. If/When that happens, you will have plastic subjected to 900* temps. Ever point a torch at a piece of plastic? I wonder how long these wheels will last.

So, great specs on weight and reaction times but concerns about long term stability.

The guy in the test ran it twice? How about running it 1,000 times?

As someone who has owned many performance Fords, I know that Ford misses things when they bring new vehicles to market. The damn accelerator pedal broke off in my Cobra because of a design flaw. Wonder how many times Ford tested the pedal? Twice?

they dont need to care about that shit. the newer cars are engineered to need 80% of its shit replaced not long after 100k miles....though if they all go back to a 60k warranty id bet the prices stay the same but the cars are built far more profit and planned obsolescence...

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Why the hate? Ford continues to push the market with this car, ohh and I cant wait to see what GM will come up with to counter the GT350R. I expect the next Z28 to be pretty incredible.

Yet hmm correct me if Im wrong but doesn't the GT350R have a lower MSRP than the Z28? Id love to see a comparison between the GT350R and the Z28 (5th gen because the 6th gen isn't available yet)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info