Augmented Reality Driving Goggles

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
BMW owned Mini is working on a set of augmented reality driving goggles.

The goggles can take the head up display off the windshield and put it right in front of your eyes. Cameras outside the car can give you X-ray vision where you can look through the door, dash and fender to see where the curb is or the little kid or animal who is next to your car.

Mini is trying to get the goggles to do all sorts of interesting things. Look at an advertising poster for a concert and the goggles ask you if that's where you want to go and then give directions with arrows. You may get things like accident avoidance and object recognition built into the goggles. You don't have to be in the car for the goggles to work. They're a google glass type device that will also integrate with your car's electronics.

About 18 months ago, BMW turned to Qualcomm for help. The key was providing the ability to display content that aligns with and is anchored to things in the real world, as your head moves. I gave the goggles a try before their debut at the Shanghai auto show this week, and was impressed by how seamlessly they added a digital layer to whatever I was looking at.

Mini's Working on Augmented Reality Driving Goggles | WIRED

P90178903_v2-932x525.jpg

P90178916_v2-482x271.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Flyn
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list