Tesla to end Range Anxiety today Paging MikeK

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
So there is a big press conference today by Tesla. The headline was that it will affect the entire Model S Fleet and with a software update it will end EV range anxiety.

Posting this thread as a way to keep those updated if interested and to speculate on what it might be. [MENTION=396]Mike K[/MENTION]

I believe it will start at 9am west coast time. Keep in mind the last time they did a major range update to the roadster it increased the EV miles from 250 miles to 400 on a single charge. This could be a really exciting event for us Tesla nut swingers

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Overall Summary of this 6.2 Software update.

1. Real time supercharging route updates

2. The car now calculates terrain, wind, and current climate conditions in real time

3. Auto Steering will be enabled on the newer model S cars with tech package

4. Improved speaker clarity

5. The car will now park itself and close your garage door without you inside it.

6. The car can now be summoned to your location (within reason) Such as down the block. It will unpark itself and drive to you

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Overall Summary of this 6.2 Software update.

1. Real time supercharging route updates

2. The car now calculates terrain, wind, and current climate conditions in real time

3. Auto Steering will be enabled on the newer model S cars with tech package

4. Improved speaker clarity

5. The car will now park itself and close your garage door without you inside it.

6. The car can now be summoned to your location (within reason) Such as down the block. It will unpark itself and drive to you

:eek3: I call bullshit

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
So it appears no additional range will be added at this time. It was speculated that Tesla would introduce a more efficient way to convert the power into AC. They have applied for that Patent already.

Kinda Bummed on this as I was expecting something much better than this. Its great an all that the car can now find superchargers in real time, but for me and I think a lot of other people they were expecting a range increase. Just like in the Tesla Roadster

:(

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
:eek3: I call bullshit

Apparently it has been tested. You would pull into your driveway. Park. Get out and the car would use its front, side, and rear radar and vision to pull itself into the garage and then close the garage using the already integrated Home link system.

As far as summoning the car to come to you. They said it would be for use on private property at this time. So basically unless you have a mansion with lots of private land. The car wouldnt be abe to come to you

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
The press is now asking about range of the car. Saying that 200 miles is sort of a minimun and should be a true 200 miles. Not 200 miles with the a/c off and on flat ground.

Elon just seemed to agree saying that people probably want 20-30 percent more than that.

Dammit Elon just tell us if you can increase the range or not via update!

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Tesla apparently offers free Wall chargers to any Business that wants one as long as it can be placed outside and at a prominent location. (my guess is that it will be a 240v outlet).

So if you have a tesla and your office would allow you to plug in while at work they can request a charger and have it installed outside aboslutly free. Plus they get a tax benefit from it.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Yeah a car that comes to you sounds great but what if it strikes a kid? Who's liable then? The owner of the vehicle or the manufacturer that made the function?

The car is supposed to stop, move, or steering around objects using its ultrasonic sensors.

However I get what your saying and UK top gear actually asked this question as well on a recent episode. They said what happens when in the future your car is faced with a decision. To let you crash into the car in front of you because it cant stop you fast enough, or swerve to the left or right where it can sense another human or car and cause someone else to die?

Basic human instict is self preservaton so most of us would chose to swerve into someone else if no other way out was found. But what does a car that cannot have feelings do?

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Well conference just ended. Big let down as far as my personal opinion goes. For me range anxiety is more or less rated range vs where is my next supercharger. I can already go on a map and find the superchargers myself. But an increase in range to lets say 300 miles would have been nice and closer to current ICE cars.

Oh well. I go home with blue balls

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
Yeah a car that comes to you sounds great but what if it strikes a kid? Who's liable then? The owner of the vehicle or the manufacturer that made the function?

i would assume the same sensors that detect the distance of a car in front of you would stop it from hitting said kid / person. id be more worried about it running a stop sign or red light and getting itself t-boned

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I don't think Elon grasps the concept of range anxiety, at least with respect to how owners view it. Owners are keenly aware of their range, the length of their trip, the location of supercharger stations, etc yet they still have range anxiety.

I was expecting either an upgrade of the software like they did on the roadster to improve it's range or some sort of optional reduction in power for longer trips that would trade horsepower for range. I'm not sure if the latter is feasible with an electric motor.

Either way, a big letdown.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
He said in the question and answer session that they could provide a pack that would go 500 miles but that a range of 250-350 miles is what most consumers need. Ugh!!!

Although a 500 mile battery pack right now pre gigafactory would probably raise the car price to 130k

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
i would assume the same sensors that detect the distance of a car in front of you would stop it from hitting said kid / person. id be more worried about it running a stop sign or red light and getting itself t-boned

Something will happen. Most scenarios I'm sure the car can stop itself but you have those situations where people come out from behind parked cars and no matter how fast those sensors kick in physics won't stop the car in time.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Something will happen. Most scenarios I'm sure the car can stop itself but you have those situations where people come out from behind parked cars and no matter how fast those sensors kick in physics won't stop the car in time.

I bet the sensors will stop the car MUCH quicker than a human could stop it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info