Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Thoughts?

Source: Ford to discontinue V8 motors in Mustang, F-150 after 2017, will run 4-Cylinder and V6 EcoBoost exclusively | HorsepowerKings.com

Can you imagine a Mustang GT with no V8? Can you imagine Ford announcing a 2018 Mustang GT, ‘powered by Ecoboost V6?’ We can’t either, and frankly, it makes us sick to even think about. That is why the following information is disturbing on some many levels.

So, we spent the better part of the day on the ground floor at the COBO Center attending the NAIAS. We are back here at the MGM Grand in Detroit, and what we took away from today was all the buzz surrounding the freshly-debuted Ford GT and 2017 F-150 Raptor, and unsurprisingly, much of that buzz is in regards to the lack of a V8 in these two high profile Ford vehicles.

The lack of a V8 is concerning, especially when discussing such a high profile halo car as the new Ford GT. After all, the entire history of this car revolves around it’s V8 powerplant. Some would argue that it’s the heart and soul of the Ford GT/GT40 legacy, and we would agree.

Regardless, when Ford finally debuted the next-gen Ford GT, powered by a 3.5L Ecoboost V6, our hearts started palpitating. You see, it’s not just the fact that this Ford supercar is powered by a V6 – what is most alarming is that Ford is showing us a very clear picture of the future of their Performance Division.

Troubled by these horrible thoughts, we were able to have a quick chat with one of the many Ford reps here at the show. You see, if you attend enough Auto Shows, you start to build professional and personal relationships with the same manufacturer representatives over the years. And while our source certainly isn’t the end-all of Ford’s future plans, the information he provided us apparently echoes the larger opinion and direction of the executives at Ford. Our source has also been pretty reliable over the years, specifically in regards to Mustangs. If you aren’t sitting down right now, please take a seat – this news might be hard to take:

“Ford is definitely phasing out the V8 motor altogether”, he said – word for word. “CAFE and EPA are working very hard discreetly to to make sure of that. There is quite a bit going on at Ford that the public is in the dark about. The impression that I am getting is that Ford wants to continue it’s V8 program, but things have (rather recently) taken a new direction, presumably from CAFE/EPA pressure in mid to late 2013. Ford have invested quite a bit of money into the Coyote program over the years, and even had plans of going DI (Direct Injection). The future development budget for the 5.2L FPC motor has dwindled, and there is talk that this motor may continue it’s life exclusively in the form of sanctioned racing series, not on the street. The next big thing for Ford at this point is weight savings. They are trying to lighten these Mustangs to get high performance numbers out of the Ecoboost, and whether we like it or not, that is the (near) future. It’s not Ford’s fault, and you can thank the Gov’t for this – not the consumer”.

Our source later went on to explain that “
The rebranding/reshuffling of the Ford Performance Division is all a result of this added EPA pressure. Ford wasn’t going to fund a performance program unless it’s primary focus was on the smaller Ecoboost motors, so SVT and Ford Racing were dissolved into this new Performance Division. And unfortunately, it would be foolish to expect to see any new V8 cars coming out of this new Performance Division. Ford Performance is going to be cranking out some very fast cars for some time, but even if the new Shelby GT500 gets the green light, it will likely be the last gasoline Ford V8 will ever produce.”

As anti-progressive as we might sound – we just can’t get on board with the thought of the V8 going extinct. This feels like the nightmare we were always afraid of having, and we can’t wake up. Share your thoughts below.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
The widespread adoption of direct injection and/or forced induction have really changed the 4 and 6 cylinder markets. Technology that used to be "just for sports cars" is now available in practically everything because of the improved fuel economy, with the horsepower being a secondary motivation.

I definitely love the overall trend of smaller, more efficient engines with adequate power (unlike my 148HP/148TQ 2.0L 2011 Outlander Sport, which desperately needs a turbo - it's underpowered to the point it is detrimental to the fuel economy because it struggles so much just to maintain speed).

But I'm on the fence about the Mustang. The Coyote seems like a pretty good engine from what I've seen - powerful, reliable, relatively fuel efficient, etc. It seems silly to potentially alienate the enthusiast market (and plenty of others) when they have a pretty decent alternative.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
The widespread adoption of direct injection and/or forced induction have really changed the 4 and 6 cylinder markets. Technology that used to be "just for sports cars" is now available in practically everything because of the improved fuel economy, with the horsepower being a secondary motivation.

I definitely love the overall trend of smaller, more efficient engines with adequate power (unlike my 148HP/148TQ 2.0L 2011 Outlander Sport, which desperately needs a turbo - it's underpowered to the point it is detrimental to the fuel economy because it struggles so much just to maintain speed).

But I'm on the fence about the Mustang. The Coyote seems like a pretty good engine from what I've seen - powerful, reliable, relatively fuel efficient, etc. It seems silly to potentially alienate the enthusiast market (and plenty of others) when they have a pretty decent alternative.

YO

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Glad I bought my 2012 Boss 302 when I did. '11 to '14 was the last of the solid axle. I like the 2015 cars, but they are moving away from the traditional, raw, unrefined car that most long time Mustang fans are familiar with. I don't see the V8 disappearing all together, but I could see production diminishing in favor of smaller displacement powerplants.

Emissions restrictions are only going to encourage new technology. The horsepower wars that are happening right now are incredible from an engineering standpoint and I don't think it's going to go away anytime soon.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info