Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
GM hopes Dynamic Skip Fire will net 15% mpg improvement [w/video]

Cylinder deactivation seems poised to get a major upgrade in improving fuel efficiency thanks to a solution called Dynamic Skip Fire from Tula Technology. As opposed to the traditional approach of shutting off a fixed set of cylinders, DSF constantly monitors all of them and decides whether or not to apply spark based on the driver's torque demand. It can allegedly improve fuel economy by around 15 percent without changing an engine's overall power output.

The key to DSF is using signal processing software to monitor the entire engine. It's primarily a software solution, but some extra complexity is added because each cylinder needs to be equipped with deactivation hardware. However, according to Tula CEO Scott Bailey, this is fundamentally the same equipment that exists today; the processing power just wasn't available before to make these types of dynamic decisions happen.

Of course, altering the fire order constantly could introduce some pretty gnarly vibrations to the engine. According to Bailey, the software is constantly asking, "Do we need to fire for torque or not?" If the answer is yes, then the affect on vibration is also considered, and the software allows the appropriate cylinder to spark. It can work on practically any multi-cylinder engine whether inline or in some other configuration.

Bailey couldn't specifically say when we might see DSF on sale in production vehicles, but "the technology is viewed as production worthy." General Motors Ventures is among Tula's investors, and the company says the technology could appear in some of its future models. The business is also working with other global automakers to possibly bring the solution to market.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXkq6Fzuuas

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
This is really cool. However I feel like I would never want to own a car out of warranty anymore

Sadly I agree. The days of the shade tree mechanic are limited in terms of new cars.

If my RFID key Focus ST failed to start up my diagnosis options would be limited. When I press the power button, I'm not actually switching on any power, I'm telling the PCM to start the car. So many things can go wrong there.

Recently I left my access port plugged in all night. My first thought was that the battery was drained. When I pressed the power button I had what seemed like full power. All of the lights, radio and such worked. But the starter would not turn over. And there weren't any errors on the screen.

I had to freaking reboot the car by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. Then it started up normally. :rollpicard:

Diavolo

Needs more turbos
Jun 20, 2007
Chicago
Sadly I agree. The days of the shade tree mechanic are limited in terms of new cars.

If my RFID key Focus ST failed to start up my diagnosis options would be limited. When I press the power button, I'm not actually switching on any power, I'm telling the PCM to start the car. So many things can go wrong there.

Recently I left my access port plugged in all night. My first thought was that the battery was drained. When I pressed the power button I had what seemed like full power. All of the lights, radio and such worked. But the starter would not turn over. And there weren't any errors on the screen.

I had to freaking reboot the car by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. Then it started up normally. :rollpicard:

CTRL + ALT + DEL that bitch!

Wrencher

Regular
Sep 11, 2011
They have a lot of anti vibration/anti harshness Technology out there now to combat the effects of cylinder deactivation.
From active damping motor mounts to radio systems that emit a particular frequency to combat the exhaust tone during deactivation.
Few companies still working on the electronic noise cancelling mufflers too.
They get it better but to me it is still a really noticeable when deactivation is occurring.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
This is really cool. However I feel like I would never want to own a car out of warranty anymore

Yep. From what I've seen from DoD insofar, I'd say the days of buying reliable used cars are on their way out if this is to become the norm. Not impressed and not amused.

And bingo. This is part of the reason why I originally ran the fuck out of the Auto Service industry and have (tried to) never look back. The amount of tech advances to keep pace with and growing complexity is absurd.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
That's when to run into the service industry. If people can't fix their own cars then you are in great demand.

If the pay was commiserate, yes. But pay scales haven't kept pace with the tech I'm afraid.

And yes (and) no. The field is always inundated with new dreamers with a misguided passion for the job, and the upward mobility can be hard to find no matter what UTI and Lincoln Tech's advertisements proclaim.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
Yep. From what I've seen from DoD insofar, I'd say the days of buying reliable used cars are on their way out if this is to become the norm. Not impressed and not amused.

:werd: Can't wait to see all of the big dollar issues that pop up in 10-15 years from now with this new technology, along with all of the others that have debuted in the last few years.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
If the pay was commiserate, yes. But pay scales haven't kept pace with the tech I'm afraid.

And yes (and) no. The field is always inundated with new dreamers with a misguided passion for the job, and the upward mobility can be hard to find no matter what UTI and Lincoln Tech's advertisements proclaim.

UTI and Lincoln tech are trash- they are only there to teach fundamentals. Manufacturer specific training is where it's at. In fact I'm at a data communication class today right now and have learned more in a few hours about GM specific data systems than uti could Dream of teaching in a whole semester

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info