No tesla model D hype/thread?

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Didn't see any threads about this, but I am very excited to see what they announce and introduce regarding the smaller/cheaper D model. If it looks anything like the S and is in the 30-40k range, sign me the f up. It would be a perfect replacement for the tdi when it comes out in a few years. I'll wait to keep typing until we see what they are promising tonight! Wife approves, she is very interested too after the model X failed to impress (looks/price) either of us when it was announced.

[MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION]
[MENTION=396]Mike K[/MENTION]
[MENTION=53]Turbocharged400sbc[/MENTION]

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
5ALWLXrq_zps8fbe73c3.gif

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Been rumored for a while for a 35-40k range car in 2017 or so. Due to the fact tesla is buying land and building massive factories to manufacture their own batteries at a large discount.

If they do create a car at the 40k range or so with a min 200 mile range and supercharger capability for quick charging 2 things will happen.

1. They will pretty much corner the midsize market. As normal familes can afford their stuff.

2. Their stock which already has increased 400 percent since 2010 will skyrocket even further. Just think. If you bought their stock at initial offering for 40 dollars a share. If you purchased enough stock you could potentially retire now.

If you already had money and were a betting person

40dollars x 10,000shares is 400,000 dollars

Today those shares would be worth 2.7 million dollars.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Didn't see any threads about this, but I am very excited to see what they announce and introduce regarding the smaller/cheaper D model. If it looks anything like the S and is in the 30-40k range, sign me the f up. It would be a perfect replacement for the tdi when it comes out in a few years. I'll wait to keep typing until we see what they are promising tonight! Wife approves, she is very interested too after the model X failed to impress (looks/price) either of us when it was announced.

[MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION]
[MENTION=396]Mike K[/MENTION]
[MENTION=53]Turbocharged400sbc[/MENTION]

I posted about something similar back in July:

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/for...la-reveals-next-car-name-dates-model-iii.html

Not sure if this is the same thing with a name change.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
If electric cars go mainstream, don't we have to do something about our power grids? I mean, they have issues keeping up with AC's running in the summer and now every vehicle is going to be pulling power when they are charging?

I'm all for electric cars, just foresee the demand for electricity then raising the costs for it - especially with all the new regulations on coal power and nuclear power plants...

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
If electric cars go mainstream, don't we have to do something about our power grids? I mean, they have issues keeping up with AC's running in the summer and now every vehicle is going to be pulling power when they are charging?

I'm all for electric cars, just foresee the demand for electricity then raising the costs for it - especially with all the new regulations on coal power and nuclear power plants...

I think it could possibly depend on the charging rate and overall amps and volts the car is demanding. I mean a full charge for these cars on a normal wall outlet takes what almost 20 some odd hours? Not using the 240 outlet. Just the standard cord. Plus ComEd just spent a bunch of money to do this smart circuit thing. I am not sure what the car charging is like vs and a/c unit but I honestly think the car charging is less of a strain

That and all cars could not be charging at the same time.... And it would take decades before a massive amount of the population would be driving electric only cars. They already have a problem with production. They cannot keep up with demand

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes

ideally, alternative energy sources are going to start to offset the increased demand on the grid. So people should buy some solar panels with their Tesla

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
D is supposedly for dual drivetrain. It's not supposed to be a cheaper car. That will be the one in 2017. The SUV that's coming out in the next year or so is a dual motor setup with one up front and one in back. Currently the S only has one out back and a trunk up front. So there's lots of room for another motor.

The question is do they use this motor simply to make the Model S all wheel drive and try to leave power the same or do they put two lower power motors in (instead of one large) that will make an obnoxious amount of torque through an all wheel drive platform?

I suspect they'll do both and we'll now "D" versions of every model with the P85D getting some sort of substantial boost in power over the current P85 without any loss of efficiency. I don't know a lot about motors but something tells me having two smaller ones doing less duty is going to be more efficient then one doing all the heavy lifting. Totally speculation on my part.

I'm excite.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
D is supposedly for dual drivetrain. It's not supposed to be a cheaper car. That will be the one in 2017. The SUV that's coming out in the next year or so is a dual motor setup with one up front and one in back. Currently the S only has one out back and a trunk up front. So there's lots of room for another motor.

The question is do they use this motor simply to make the Model S all wheel drive and try to leave power the same or do they put two lower power motors in (instead of one large) that will make an obnoxious amount of torque through an all wheel drive platform?

I suspect they'll do both and we'll now "D" versions of every model with the P85D getting some sort of substantial boost in power over the current P85 without any loss of efficiency. I don't know a lot about motors but something tells me having two smaller ones doing less duty is going to be more efficient then one doing all the heavy lifting. Totally speculation on my part.

I'm excite.

I agree. Awd announcement for sure but they said the D and something else. So I'm excited to hear what new things they have. It's like they are the apple of the car world. Possible very long range model S??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info