Recall Alert: 2008-2009 Pontiac G8, 2011-2013 Chevrolet Caprice

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
[MENTION=63]blakbearddelite[/MENTION]

Vehicles Affected: More than 47,000 model-year 2011-13 Chevrolet Caprice and 2008-09 Pontiac G8 sedans

The Problem: According to The Detroit News, there is a risk under certain conditions that the driver's knee may bump the ignition key and unintentionally move the key away from the Run position; this could cause stalling and frontal airbag failure, increasing the risk of a crash or injury in a crash. GM said it is aware of one crash and no injuries or deaths related to the vehicles affected by this recall, the newspaper reported. The automaker has recalled 2.6 million vehicles linked to nearly two-dozen deaths and 54 crashes as a result of the stalling and airbag failure.

The Fix: GM will notify owners, and dealers will separate the remote keyless entry transmitter from the key blade and housing assembly, and discard the original key blade and housing assembly, ensuring that it is not retained by the customer, The Detroit News reported. Dealers will cut and fit the revised key blade and housing assembly, in which the blade has been indexed by 90 degrees, to the original transmitter assembly, the newspaper stated. The automaker advised that, until repairs are made, drivers adjust their seat and steering column to allow clearance between their knee and the ignition key. GM has not yet announced a notification schedule.

What Owners Should Do: Owners can call GM at 800-553-6000 for more info.

Need to Find a Dealer for Service? Go to Cars.com Service & Repair to find your local dealer.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I don't think accidentally knocking your ignition switch is an act of stupidity. That key fob is massive and hangs off the side of the ignition. Not like it's just a regular key or a smart access proximity system. But, yes, everyone has been a bit recall happy for the past few months.

may_08_techlink_fig4.jpg

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
I got a recall notice for the grand prix! saying that the key may bounce itself into the off position if you have to many items on the key ring.

it took them 6 years after stop production of the car to figure this out. although I’ve never had this problem. Recall notice torn up.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
2008-pontiac-g8-test-driv-40_600x0w.jpg

This is recall worthy?? :ugh:

Is this because people put 80lb boat anchors of uselessness on the keychain? Or is this for the people that like to sit all the way forward with face 5" away from the airbag and knees grinding on the steering wheel? Once again, accommodating for the lack of common sense and stupidity.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I will say I fucking hate this style key. The buttons are too easy to push and open the trunk up. I overall agree GM didn't intend for people to put 60lbs of shit on the same key chain like say........modern keys such as these. Why the fuck was it required for everything to have a bulky obnoxious key now? Back in the day getting a key cut was .99 now it's like $500.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
Flip keys are soooooo 2000's. Keyless is the future. My last 2 cars have been keyless and I can't imagine ever going back. It's too damn convenient

soon you will have a gate over the button so it does not get pressed while you are driving and shut off the car, disabling the air bags, and greatly increasing the risk of a crash.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Flip keys are soooooo 2000's. Keyless is the future. My last 2 cars have been keyless and I can't imagine ever going back. It's too damn convenient

This. One of the many reasons I went w/ the ST. Its such a small thing, but once you get used to it, its hard to go back :rofl: I love just being able to throw my keys in my pocket and not have to deal w/ them. At least until i take the gto out. :fu:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info