Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
[MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION]

Our new man Greg Migliore is in attendance at a Ford media event at the Blue Oval's Dearborn, MI headquarters today, and he's reported in with a handful of the 2015 F-150 stats that we've been dying to know. Ford is slow-playing the news release here, but we can still offer up some interesting output and performance figures after half-year of waiting.

We have all be quite aware that Ford's shift to aluminum construction would save a lot of weight for F-150 models, and the results we're hearing now are duly impressive. For instance: in Super Crew trim, a 2015 F-150 is a whopping 732-pounds lighter than was its closest 2014-model-year equivalent. That's like hauling three middle-aged dudes to your bowling alley's league night for free. Polish your balls, guys.

Ford isn't willing to offer up any actual curb weights just yet, but if we take that 732-pound loss and extrapolate with the 5,128-pound curb weight of the 2014 F-150 Super Crew with the 3.7-liter V6, we can guesstimate that 2015 models will measure out in the 4,400-pound range. That's impressive.

We also learned just a bit about the new additions to the engine range. The base engine in the F-150 comes in the form of a naturally aspirated, 3.5-liter V6. That mill may be the little brother of the crew, but it still makes 283 horsepower and 255 pound-feet of torque, giving the 4x2 pickup the a maximum payload of 1,910 pounds and a tow rating of 7,600 pounds.

Stepping up one rung on the ladder is the hotly anticipated 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6, turbocharged to the tune of 325 hp and 375 lb-ft of torque. In 4x2 guise, that blown mill allows for maximum payload and towing ratings of 2,250 and 8,500 pounds, respectively.

We're obviously still excited to learn actual miles-per-gallon ratings and curb weights for the Ford haulers, but in the meantime, you can scroll below to check out the official press release and an official video of the Blue Oval boys putting the EcoBoost F-150 through its towing paces at the Davis Dam in Arizona.

2015 Ford F-150 specs revealed, EcoBoost 2.7L to make 325 hp and 375 lb-ft [w/video] - Autoblog

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I'm on the list at the local dealer to get a call as soon as they have ordering info and specs. Looking forward to getting that call! :fy:

700# lighter
Same 3.5 ecoboost engine available
Talk of new turbos being possible
Updated interior
and LOCKING REAR GATE!

:wackit: I'm pumped.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I am guessing the Fords are lighter now, but not by more than a few hundred pounds

if that.... whats tough is trucks come in so many different trim levels/cab & bed & engine combinations- i really feel like a apples to apples comparison will be tough based on weight alone.

where it will matter and shine though is if they can get this 2.7 aluminum ecoboost f150- perhaps in 4x4 and extended cab or crew, into 30mpg +...

that's where it will shine a lot more than saying it weighs xxxx

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I get that, just saying it will make an apples to apples comparison more possible, then you add the shaved weight on the Ford body and it should mean they will be in a good position to win the battle this time around. They were able to develop the truck this time with the standards in mind.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i'm saying that i don't think anyone is going to go rush out and buy the truck because it is advertised as xxxxlbs when equipped as XXXXXX... saying it lost xxx of lbs will help more...

but saying that it gets xx mpg will help the most.

and i think that the only winners here of all of these "battles" anyhow are the manufacturers... the trucks have gotten so ridiculously priced for a brand new decent truck.

my truck window sticker brand new was 27k in 07... the same truck now (sierra crew cab 2wd, baby motor, SL, etc etc... builds out to something like 38k

cpi calculator- 27k back then would be around 30k today....

or 38k from today would be around $33k in 07... 6k more than what the truck was...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info