Tesla reveals next car name and dates: The Model III

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
If this is a repost then a mod can lock/delete but I didn't see it.

[MENTION=396]Mike K[/MENTION] your next Tesla awaits in 2017 for 35K :eek3:

Elon Musk Reveals Name of Next Tesla Car: the Model III

another article:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla--bmw-locked-in-yuppie-car-showdown-130003087.html

tsl398707.jpg

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
35k? I've learned not to bet against Musk but come on. The current replacement price for the battery pack on the S is 40k. The battery itself is more than the price of this car. If they manage to pull this off it will be amazing.

This scares me away from a Model S though. The car looks virtually identical and for less than half the starting price? Who would buy the model S at that point? It certainly doesn't have a premium interior. All of your purchase dollars are going to technology right now.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
35k? I've learned not to bet against Musk but come on. The current replacement price for the battery pack on the S is 40k. The battery itself is more than the price of this car. If they manage to pull this off it will be amazing.

This scares me away from a Model S though. The car looks virtually identical and for less than half the starting price? Who would buy the model S at that point? It certainly doesn't have a premium interior. All of your purchase dollars are going to technology right now.

40k in the current Gen. I highly doubt the battery pack in the 2017 is going to be anywhere near 40k.... Maybe 20k.

Plus smaller car = less material cost and less power needed to accomplish the same as the model S in mpg/power.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
My commute is 2.5 - 3 hrs / 130 miles per day. I would be concerned about range, especially with a/c, defroster - heat, phone charger, stereo.

I also do personal driving after work / in the evening.

Back to focusing on the Tesla.

I see tons here in Plainfield so I'm guessing their top model range of 250 is pretty accurate. Probably more if you drive normal and slow.

For example. The 2012 volt I had was said to have a electric only range of 35 miles.... I consistently achieved almost 50 miles with no gas. Just driving 60-65 on the highway with eco a/c enabled

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock

40k in the current Gen. I highly doubt the battery pack in the 2017 is going to be anywhere near 40k.... Maybe 20k.

Plus smaller car = less material cost and less power needed to accomplish the same as the model S in mpg/power.

I've heard this figure is basically a dream based on the assumption that the gigafactory will be an overwhelming success. We don't know how it will work out yet so I would take the $35k figure with a grain of salt

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I see tons here in Plainfield so I'm guessing their top model range of 250 is pretty accurate. Probably more if you drive normal and slow.

For example. The 2012 volt I had was said to have a electric only range of 35 miles.... I consistently achieved almost 50 miles with no gas. Just driving 60-65 on the highway with eco a/c enabled

That is actually encouraging and a Tesla may be an option after I burn out the Taurus.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
That is actually encouraging and a Tesla may be an option after I burn out the Taurus.

Yes but I've never driven or tested a tesla though. Everyone is different. I got acustom to hypermiling and not driving as fast to save battery power. Your constantly thinking about it. I mean it is a good feeling though. Knowing you don't have to pay attention to pump fluctuation. I would check on tesla forums or even YouTube videos for real life miles. Come out to a supercar Saturday. Last time there were 2 there and the guys were great to talk to. They even let people sit in them. They honestly stole the show

Last edited:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I'd like to see some real world tests of somebody driving this every day for like a 100 miles , and see how the battery reacts after a year .

My boss has done that with his basically, and the battery hasn't changed at all. That and Tesla warranties the battery for 8 years anyways. Who cares if it changes over 1 year?

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
My boss has done that with his basically, and the battery hasn't changed at all. That and Tesla warranties the battery for 8 years anyways. Who cares if it changes over 1 year?

8 year warranty is pretty damn nice. Any idea what the batteries cost to replace in the Tesla?

I was never an electric car fan at all, but the technology just gets better and better. I love how some makes have utilized electric power...my jaw absolutely dropped when I saw how they integrated electric motor tech in the P1. Just brilliant.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
8 year warranty is pretty damn nice. Any idea what the batteries cost to replace in the Tesla?

I was never an electric car fan at all, but the technology just gets better and better. I love how some makes have utilized electric power...my jaw absolutely dropped when I saw how they integrated electric motor tech in the P1. Just brilliant.

Yes 40k :rofl: based on Mike K.

Just buy a new Tesla after 7 years

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Yes but I've never driven or tested a tesla though. Everyone is different. I got acustom to hypermiling and not driving as fast to save battery power. Your constantly thinking about it. I mean it is a good feeling though. Knowing you don't have to pay attention to pump fluctuation. I would check on tesla forums or even YouTube videos for real life miles. Come out to a supercar Saturday. Last time there were 2 there and the guys were great to talk to. They even let people sit in them. They honestly stole the show

my buddy had an insight and he hated the aspect of consciously thinking about all the things he was doing to seek higher mpg at the sacrifice of just driving/enjoying/not thinking about that stuff. like slave to striving for high mpg number.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I wonder if it wont have the performance nor the range of the S. Seems way to cheap to me as well.

Whats pricing on the Model X going to be?

More expensive than the S and ugly as sin.

The problem with electric cars seems to be that you need a battery of a certain size for range and that battery is a fixed price plus once you have a motor you're not saving much money by neutering performance versus going all out. Maybe they'll be relying on people paying $5,000 - $10,000 to upgrade to a more powerful motor like they do now.

They're relying on economies of scale to hit that price target and maybe they can do it with pre-orders or just with the insane amount of onhand cash they have. After all, if they can offer the car for 35k and they can keep up with demand it will without a doubt be a sales success. At 60k the Model S makes a somewhat compelling case for itself over a say 30k car if someone is going to keep it and drives a lot. At 35k for a car you suddenly don't need to put gas in, that's a game changer and Tesla is now considered a premium brand.

As for the smaller car bit, the car is only going to be 20% smaller. That's not much, especially when you consider that most of the car's weight is in it's motor and batteries. At a certain point you need a larger battery just to move around your battery. I don't think a smaller car gives you more efficiency like it does in a gas car because unlike a gas car you can only get the car so light.

But here's the great thing: Elon's ego will require him to deliver, even if the car ends up being $39,999. I wouldn't bet against him.

My biggest concern with Tesla right now is design. They've skirted the need to update their product offering so far but the Model S is going to require a refresh relatively soon and it doesn't look like Tesla knows a different design than the S since the the X and the new car all look the same.

I guess it's a bit ironic but my biggest concern with a company that's trying to do the impossible isn't batteries or technology but whether or not they can come out with a follow up design that's still a hit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info