750hp SVT Mustang?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
This is getting nuts!

Anybody else remember this issue of C&D?
Car_and_Driver_Magazine-2000-January.jpg

Never in a million years did I think we'd have muscle cars making that type of power from the factory!

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Call me crazy, but I’d rather SVT keep the same power level (or less) but focus more on the chassis and removing weight. A few years ago, Ford stated that they wanted to target cars like the M3 and GTR. It would be cool to let Ford try to go after the Corvette now that they have a true IRS rear.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Call me crazy, but I’d rather SVT keep the same power level (or less) but focus more on the chassis and removing weight. A few years ago, Ford stated that they wanted to target cars like the M3 and GTR. It would be cool to let Ford try to go after the Corvette now that they have a true IRS rear.

The thing is, the Mustang is not an M3 competitor, nobody is cross shopping those. People expect power out of a Mustang, and most buyers probably don't care about how the car turns. Make a Lincoln with the GT500 motor in it and call it an M3 killer. That would be cool.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
The thing is, the Mustang is not an M3 competitor, nobody is cross shopping those. People expect power out of a Mustang, and most buyers probably don't care about how the car turns. Make a Lincoln with the GT500 motor in it and call it an M3 killer. That would be cool.

It's not a competitor right now as they are different cars, but people do cross shop Shelby's and M3's(and even 5.0s). My friend did with his M3, but for some crazy reason ended up buying a Challenger 392.

I think Ford acknowledged that buyers are changing with the 2015 redesign (including an IRS rear) and straight line speed isn't the only thing. Younger people care about the total package and refinement.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
It's not a competitor right now as they are different cars, but people do cross shop Shelby's and M3's(and even 5.0s). My friend did with his M3, but for some crazy reason ended up buying a Challenger 392.

I think Ford acknowledged that buyers are changing with the 2015 redesign (including an IRS rear) and straight line speed isn't the only thing. Younger people care about the total package and refinement.

Yeah, I was cross shopping Ferrari 458s with Gallardo SL-570s, and got an R8. AKA, I couldn't afford the Ferrari or Lambo, as it appears your friend couldn't afford the M3. Nobody looks at an M3 and buys a fucking Charger. Get real.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
The GT350 sports a unique front fascia, and features pronounced heat extractors on the hood and the front fenders (just as the prior spy shots suggested). It's wearing Michelin Pilor Super Sports on placeholder wheels for the moment, and you can see the massive rotors mounted up front. Their size and nature (likely carbon ceramic) again suggest that this is the hotter GT350R. Likewise, the pronounced front aero seals the deal here—you're looking at the GT350R.

The R is a road car, not a race model. You WILL be able to buy this to put up against the likes of the Camaro Z/28. As we have been reporting since last summer, this new SVT mustang dumps the supercharger. It's derived from the 5.0-liter Coyote V8, with slightly higher displacement and a flat-plane crank. Expect a high-revving track star pumping out in excess of 500 hp. The massive HP battle has been ceded to Dodge and it's crazy Hellcat V8. Ford proved its point already with the outgoing GT500. The Shelby GT350 is being positioned as a racetrack dominator (that, in the end, should be able to hold its own at the strip as well).

:wackit:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info