Police Ticket Quota System Now a Thing of the Past

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
A new law may mend animosity between Illinois drivers and police officers who need to make their ticket quotas.
928855cca6b497329213c42d7bb332ec.jpg

If you've been driving for a long time, there's a good chance you know the pit-in-your-stomach*feeling when you look up to see blue and red flashing lights of a police car in your rear view mirror.

A ticket for traffic violations in Illinois can mean fines, online driving school, your license held as bond and possibly a court date.*

However, police officers may now have less incentive to go after*drivers for minor traffic violations.

Last week,*Gov. Pat Quinn signed into law a measure that*bans police departments*from setting ticket quotas for their officers, which takes effect immediately for local, county and state police.

While this new law may be welcome news to Illinois drivers, this week is an important one for Illinois voters and the final push for*redistricting reform, which hopefully will result in an end to gerrymandering of Illinois state legislative districts.

This article appears on all Patch Chicago sites.*The views expressed in this post are those of*Reboot*Illinois*and do not reflect those of Patch or its editors. Police Ticket Quota System Now a Thing of the Past - Reboot Illinois - Plainfield, IL Patch

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
:rollpicard: Quite a bit oversimplified and judgmental. At one point or another, we all lose track of our speed, drift a little bit out of our lane, etc. Even though people may not intend on driving carelessly it does happen on occasion; even you...

Right. but if I'm doing something wrong (purposely or not), I deserve a ticket, it's not the cop getting a quota, it's the cop doing his job, end of story.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Right. but if I'm doing something wrong (purposely or not), I deserve a ticket, it's not the cop getting a quota, it's the cop doing his job, end of story.

While I do see your point, I also contest that the entire point of the ticketing system has to do with ensuring safety; not generating revenue. Therein lies the issue with quota-based ticketing systems. How many times have you been on a road whose speed limit was entirely too low to be practical, or even safe? How many times have you seen lanes and intersections designed in ways that prevented, rather than promoted, safety? What started as a noble idea of "safety first" has turned into a cash cow for departments whose vision has shifted from keeping drivers and pedestrians safe to revenue generation. That is not right. Unfortunately, common sense has parted ways with traffic safety long ago in many ways.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

More like you deserve a warning if it's something that doesn't happen often.

I am waiting for the next headline.....This just in - Majority of traffic laws were legislated for revenue.

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
Eh I call BS on if this is actually gonna do anything. IL gov needs more money than ever. what about quotas for street light ticket cameras? I bet there gonna make the yellow light time shorter or something.

There are a few yellow lights here by my work that can't last more than 2 seconds. All have a camera waiting to give you your $100 ticket.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info