Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Not a recall but I wouldnt be surprised to see it change into one :rofl:

Okay General Motors, we've sat by and watched you recall the compact cars, crossovers and pickup trucks, and aside from reporting on it, we've been fairly quiet. This, though, this will not do. We can almost tolerate the recalls on the bread-and-butter cars, but leave the performance vehicles alone.

According to a report from The Car Connection, GM has discovered a problem with the superchargers of the 6.2-liter V8s found in the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 and the Cadillac CTS-V. Apparently, the issue rests around the internal bearing shaft grease, which can become contaminated (we aren't sure with what). If left unchecked, it'll first lead to a rattle at idle, which goes away under slight throttle. The real warning stage is when a high-pitched squeal develops, signaling that the bearing shaft has failed. Naturally, severe engine damage is the next step (although it's possible that the engine will also just refuse to turnover, although neither case is desirable).

According to TCC, GM will replace the superchargers on vehicles that have exhibited symptoms of bearing shaft failure free of charge. It will also, allegedly, be extending the warranty on all supercharged ZL1s and CTS-Vs to 10 years or 120,000 miles (whichever comes first), from the date of purchase. Officially, only 2009 to 2013 CTS-Vs and 2012 to 2013 ZL1s are suffering from this issue.

It's important to note that we've seen nothing from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration regarding a recall, while GM's media website is devoid of any information on the supercharger troubles.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
How is this any different than all the other parts that break on a car? The bearings in my water pump went bad - I bet plenty of other people had the same issue over the years, and if left unchecked, it could result in severe engine damage. No warrenty extension for that?

The supercharger bearing rattles, then changes to a high-pitched squeal. Sounds like a good early warning indicator.

I don't see anything special here. Parts break.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
those needle bearings were inadequate for the smaller m90's rotors.

most bearings are now china made...so there's that too lol

whipple broke with lysholms design after all their bearing failures. new whipples use large sealed ball bearings at the non driven side.

as i said, your buying newer vehicles that are designed to be just strong enough to pass through warranty...and thoroughly beaten to death by the bean counters who disapproved the larger bearing that costs 43cents more...

this is what you get...large pattern failures

never buy first model year :mamoru:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info